1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A tough decision at work...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CrimsonThunder, Jul 28, 2007.

1. CrimsonThunder

Tonight at work one of my great work buddies ("John") asked me if he could steal a burger for another person that works there ("Ben"). However this other person I hate. (He often calls me gay and pisses me off constantly).

Now I'm in a tough spot, I'm a manager there and this could get me in a huge amount of trouble (most possibly fired) if I do not tell my boss. But I don't want to get John fired. However getting Ben fired would be great.

Should I tell my boss? The thing is John could go around telling people "He wouldn't let me steal a burger for him" and that could easily float around and go to a person that would tell my boss and then, BAM! I'm fired.

I've thought that I could tell my boss "Ben asked John to steal him a burger and then John told me about it". Or something like that to get him out of trouble but still get Ben fired.

I'm stressing. >.<"

*Names have been changed. :wink:

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Tom,

It is unprofessional to get somebody fired because you dislike them. John's behavior is just as bad as Ben's. I would simply tell John NO. If he keeps after you then you may have no other choice than to tell the boss.

3. wtinal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Perhaps you could tell the boss the behavior of both of them and just say you have dealth with it, so John does not get fired (although I personally believe theft from your place of employment deserves firing).

4. Psych!

Psych! Guest

Becky, again, is right. :thumbsup:

You can't protect John just cause you like him. Just don't allow anything unjust and if it does happen, tell your boss.

5. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd talk to the boss about it. =/ Although he is your friend, you could get in serious trouble for not doing anything about it because you like him.

6. downboyup

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    u mean you dont get free burgers when you want? i have a friend who worked at H.Js on Main North Rd. and he got free burgers whenever. he was a manager too.
    if you feel uncomfortable saying no to your friend, then tell him you've been inspected on how you do your job in the past and cant do anything wrong in case you get found out. or tell him you will buy him one instead. he will most likely say no.

'do you want fries with that advice?'
    cheers downboyup

7. CrimsonThunder

Thanks guys, I made the right decision in telling my boss. =)

downboyup, we can get free food if we ask, we usually get 4 $10 vouchers a day if we work well. =P (getting the customers out fast) You're friend would have got free food coz he was the mangager we're allowed them. :grin:

Another stealing incident happened this morning actually. I was doing my checklist and then I walked into burger room and saw this guy that was just making his own food and he didn't ask me (I always let people have somthing if they ask) and I went OFF. >_> Made him cry (not that I'm happy of it) but I appologized afterwards for yelling at him. He thought he was going to lose his job.

8. downboyup

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    sounds like you a responsible manager, crimsonthunder. boss lucky to have you.
    glad it sorted out.