1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awkward conversation...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mugwump, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Mugwump

Hmm, as usual, I don't really know exactly what I am asking. In fact, perhaps this is more of a reflection than a question... But, today I caught up with some people I went to uni with. They decided they were going to discuss their ideal boyfriends. Of course, they wanted to know my dream man. So, I could easily have just made up something, and made them happy. But being me, I didn't want to do that. I want people to know the truth. However, I also didn't really plan on telling them "well, actually, I like girls". So I just said "I'm not answering that question" and a whole bunch of other vague things. They thought I was just being boring... I kinda want people to know, but I am scared to say it, and I think it is really not necessary to tell some people. But, I like to be truthful - for me, not for them. Does that make any sense at all??

2. RainInAfrica

I've been caught in the same conversation. I simply rode on thru', but used it as a starting topic for coming out later in the week.

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I often feel like that, and my close friends that know say well it doesnt matter its not their business, but I still dont want to lie about it. Its a tough one, I guess you have just got to go with whatever you feel is best at the time.

4. Just Adam

i get in them convos all the time.... i just say " meh "

of course im sure now someoen would say well your gay so you dont get a say or something... i just loooove how as soon as i say i liek guys im gay >.> .....stupid people :/

5. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Lindsay Lohan/Megan Fox is the type I usually describe.

"Long dark hair, skinny, pretty face, Megan Fox is hot... blah blah.... Lindsay Lohan got a hot body when she was healthy with big boobs. Both hot women. blah blah... do them... hot"

pretty much it, more or less

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can kinda relate. But look at it this way. Either these people are your friends - in which case they'll be supportive - or they're people you don't see too often, so who the heck cares what they think?

If you wanted them to know the truth, you might...oh, pick a celebrity couple. I honestly don't know of any. "My ideal boyfriend? I'm thinking (male celebrity)." When they ask why, say "Because if I date him, I could get (female celebrity)'s phone number."

Lex

7. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Its nice not being perfectly gay cuz I could hedge a bit but still come up with an answer to describe the type of gal I find really attractive. I would be tempted to throw in a description of the type of Guy I find attractive as well.

8. n8i2c7k

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know how you feel. Some of my friends talk about girls and it's really awkward. Like hell I'm not going to come out to them but I don't really feel like making up any lies so I just kinda laugh and nodd. They seem to accept that and all the time I'm thinking "I'm laughing because I'm gay and you have no clue." I don't make up any comments or anything to add, I just smile, nodd, and laugh.

9. Lacan

Eh so it goes. When my "buddies" ask me my ideal girlfriend i respond with some cute boy (joseph gordon-levitt for the most part) and then kick their ass in fantasy football. Sexual identity is so fluid and negotiable.

Just tell them whomever you find most attractive in the celebramedianews world. If they're astounded, they're silly. We are who we are... if anyone is shocked and astonished at this point, it's their bad for not joining the 20th century. The 21st is active for rights.

10. merlov1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, it's sort of none of their business so don't tell them until/unless you feel ready. Fair's fair.