1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

alcohol = truth ?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RainInAfrica, Sep 2, 2009.

1. RainInAfrica

Ok, So here's the scenario. I'm in my friends house ( who is bisexual but also not out) and there is a bit of a get together going on, so most people have a few drinks on them. Now, the topic of homosexuality comes up, and alot of the family get very defensive , hurtful etc. So I start defending homosexuals and then the family come out with words like 'Fag' etc.

Now this conversation included his mam and aunt, so I was shocked when I heard this coming out of there mouths. ( and not to mention there were no males except for me and my friend )

So my question to you is did the drink make them say what they really think, or did it make them homophobic :rolleyes:

Now not only was it uncomfortable but now my friend, who will most likely have to come out one day, thinks his entire family is homophobic
    :help:

2. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alcohol lowers your defenses and makes you say what is on your mind. I might even be something you didn't know about yourself.

But those feelings come from somewhere, and that means they are always lurking under the surface somewhere.

3. starbucksshoote

Well, I think yes and no.

Alcohol does lower your defences and sometimes you say things you otherwise wouldn't. But alcohol also makes you lose perpsective and sometimes you get on a tangent you don't really believe but now ardently defend because you started down this road. (We've all had those moments when drinking, and in an argument, and you think to yourself "I don't even believe this - why am I having this dumbass argument!").

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you think people actually want to piss in the fireplace, and that alcohol simply frees them up to do so?

It MAY mean they're homophobic, but it's more likely they just said whatever came to mind without bothering to think anything of it.

Lex

5. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think they are homophobic. If you ask someone who is drunk to put their finger on a flame would they do it?

6. Possibly Maybe

In vino veritas

It seems to me an Australopithecus would be more tolerant.

what's with me and latin today?

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>If you ask someone who is drunk to put their finger on a flame would they do it?

If you dare them to? Almost every time. :grin:

Lex

8. RainInAfrica

Im actually going to have to try that :thumbsup:

9. Just Adam

i believe it made them more open as it lowerd there defenses... alcahol never makes me somthign it just allows me to say what im thinking some things i wish i didnt... but it doesent change who i am.

those feelings and thoughts were there all along they just couldent hold them back after the drink or they didnt want to , drink can make you think oh feck it why not...

its sad and i know how he feels i get lots of homophobic stuff going round me so yea...this really wouldent help your friend.

sad :frowning2:

10. RainInAfrica

And this is the second incident like this. He wrote about it a while back.

Feel sorry for him :frowning2:

11. Just Adam

i do too its hard going through all the realisation and denial then acceptance jsut to know while your still at home you cant be open or honest with anyone as it will damage or destroy family life..

the real hard part of this sort of situation is you come out they may no tsay anythign anymore or they may say they love and accept you but that hurts more as you know whats inside them what they really think and feel so its a lie they are jsut saying what they are expected to not beeing honest, and it can leead to a double standard where they say they accept you but when they see someoen else teh bile surfaces from the lips of ignorance... im poetic even in rant :slight_smile:

all you can do really is be there for him and if he comes out be prepared to be there for him to lean on. :frowning2:

12. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not to get discouraged, folks, but its only human nature to repeat what you've heard, i.e. to use homophobic terms, phrases, etc, before you actually stop and think about what it all really means. Most of us don't stop and really analyze an issue until it confronts us. E.g. before my brother came out as Gay I often repeated what is often tagged as the traditional Catholic line "Love the homosexual, but the homosexual act itself is s**ful." (Forgive me, but I can no longer say the word because I firmly believe only God is competent to judge what is sinful and what is not.) Well, after gaining life experiences and analyzing how we are called to be ourselves and to love one another above all else, confronting my brother's sexuality has led to enlightenment.

So, perhaps today I am reluctant to describe anyone as homophobic or bigotous until I know they have encountered a loved one who comes out to them and after fully processing the call to love, believes that rejection is the proper response.

Some time ago a friend taught me to be slow to infer malicious intent (e.g. mindful homophobia) in situations where one's actions could be explained by ingorance.

OK, I went on way too long on that. But I just like to distinguish between unthinking, systemic homophobia and the more pernicious intentional and mindful rejection of men and women who are not completely straight. .. .. .. Slainte!

#12 seadog, Sep 2, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  13. RainInAfrica

I always am (*hug*)

14. Tokarov

Tokarov Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I drink I drunk text...and because I'm soooo hammered (no, seriously) I send the weirdest shit to people. They show me it later on and I'm just like WTF?!

But my friends know when I drunk text....so It's all good.

But on topic: Yes, Alcohol can make you say what is on your mind.

That's just my two cents, and I speak from experience :thumbsup:

15. justinishere

I think you got some good answers. Never been drunk etc, but from what I see alcohol doesn't make you homophobic xD

But it does make you loosen up and say things that are on your mind instead of thinking it out for who is around.

16. merlov1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say yes. That's not to say some hetros don't temporarily become bi when drunk for some reason. One guy I'm SURE is heterosexual asked me out when I'm drunk. I obligingly refused because

1. I didn't want him

2. he was drunk

3. he was a friend, lol

17. littledinosaurs

agreed
    hahahahah

#17 littledinosaurs, Sep 3, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  18. jotheoneandonly

when i've had stuff to drink, i find the most ridiculous offencive nonscence spews from my gob like fireworks. half the time i don't remember. i just hope that in your case this guys family where just being careless and once they've thought about it will relize that is was not a very nice thing to say.
    people change. good luck to your mate tho, when the time comes. oh, you too my love
    xx

19. BasketCase

It doesnt mean that they meant it, like lex alluded to, people do and say stupid things when they are drunk.

20. RainInAfrica

Well hopefully they didn't mean it. It was hurful, none the less, but I really don't want my friend thinking he lives with a bunch of homophobes who wont accept him :frowning2: