1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out for the second time to my mom?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Smiley1123, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Smiley1123

Ok well I came out to my mom a year and two months ago. (I was 13.)
    Well, she ignored it and only once in a while brings up the name of the girl that I like. I don't know what to do because I feel like she thinks I'm too young to know. Although, I honestly feel like I am definitely not straight and most likely a lesbian. I have been lurking around EC, reading many coming out stories and posts in the support and advice section. I have also read the coming out letters. My friends tell me "just bring it up!" The thing is I don't know how to bring it up.

So, what should I do? Pretend that I never came out the first time and come out again? Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks :slight_smile:

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! From what you have written, it looks like that your mum is still trying to accept it or come around to it. I think her asking about the girl that you like is a good sign. I don't think you have to pretend that your coming out never happened. You are out to your mum. Rather, just talk to her about the fact that you like the girl. Try to bring it up letting your mum know when you are getting together with her (say for a movie). Also, the next time your mum brings it up, or asks you a question, try to answer it and engage your mum in a conversation about the girl. Doing that, you will not only give your mum a chance to learn about the girl but also (and more importantly) that you haven't really changed.

Hope this helps a bit!