1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Come out to H.S. Class..?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Zachary825, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Zachary825

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well Idk if i should come out to my junior class in highschool.. people are always calling me gay and the area is philly pa. and all people who i think dont like gays they say ew and all..
    But i know alot of people dont think i am. i only told 7 people so far.. and people asked me if I am and today i said thanks or something like i agreed somehow but not fully and there were like shocked.. but I dont think they get it as i didnt directly tell them.. but Idk if i should just say yes to them. I act straight and everything but IDK lol.. confusing and I know if i did people would be shocked, just as my bff who cried and couldnt beleive it as i was so good at hiding it..
    Like they might be like woahhh ewww and all that stuff so Idk but i just got in the mood lik i dont care as they said crap to me.. IDK confusing..
    thanks! lol

2. werekid

it is your choice

3. fallendream

do what YOU will be happy with. but you gotta stick by your choice. goodluck with your choice

4. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i wouldn't

they don't like you now, they will hate you afterward with a "reason"

5. certified Hotti

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think u shud do wat u feel like. If u are careless enough to do it and disregard wat people say, then go for it! But if ur having doubts and are a little scared then i say hold on until u r fully prepared to do so! watever u do i wish u luck and hope everything turns out great! :slight_smile:

6. Tokarov

Tokarov Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! From what you have said about some of your class or school mates, I think it would be good if you would not come out to your entire class at this point. Having support and acceptance at this stage in your coming out journey is important. Try to keep building up a strong support network with those that are supportive and accepting for now. If you feel that you are ready to come out, maybe come out to a teacher and/or to other friends at school who you know are going to be supportive. But it is of course totally up to you as to how you want to proceed.

Hope this helps!

8. KnightAssassin

Look no one here really is going to give you a straight forth answer , because we all know coming out is a serous thing that we all deal with and when it feels right tell them , and as you already pointed out you don't have to tell everyone . We will sound repetitious for the reason that you have to come to your own self and when it is right you can inform those whom you love or enjoy to be around . On this subject you should also know that if you ever feel uncomfortable just walk away and also when you come out there is a chance at some harassment , for some it will come from teachers , students , and even principals . So first try to find their stances upon the subject of homosexuality and make sure you don't tell someone who will gossip if your aren't ready to be open and just make sure this is what you are wanting not what other people want you to do . Well after you come out yes everything will seem like it going great but think in 3 months are you wanting to have these people knowing that your gay ? or maybe you just want a few to know and what ever the decision i wish you the best of luck.

9. s5m1

I guess I will offer the minority view and advocate doing it sooner rather than later. If someone does not like you because you are gay, do you really want that person as a friend? In my view, accept who you are; it will not go away. Live your life honestly now.

10. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

completely agree here.

11. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

High school is hard enough for people whether they are gay OR straight. And I think we all know it's hard no matter what. I live in a city that celebrates freedom of choice but there is still A LOT of homophobia. If I were you I wouldn't announce it to the entire class because my sexuality and life is MY business. I don't owe a damn soul any explanation to gratify them or to prove them right in their own mind. My friend told me he has no qualms telling people he's gay but he tells them only if they ask and I thought to myself "HE'S DAMN ASS RIGHT!" LOL! Do you ask people if they're straight? No. Why the hell should they care you're gay. They should like you for who you damn ass are! Places like high school are not as socially accepting as others. You get to be more free in college and university and as you get older, where acceptance and free thinking are rampant (in my opinion). I'm not saying hide who you are, but instead BE CAREFUL! When people ask tell them the truth if you choose, you don't need to put it on blast! That's YOUR choice, NO ONE else's! Don't let their whispers force you to do something you don't want to do or not ready for! If I sound as repetitive as someone previously said we all have on this thread the reason is because, and I stress, ONLY YOU CAN KNOW WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU. NOBODY ELSE. WE CAN'T TELL YOU "DO IT" or "DON'T". ALL WE CAN DO IS GIVE ADVICE, SUPPORT, AND LOVE, BUT YOU MAKE THE BEST DECISION FOR YOU!!!! NO ONE ELSE. Good Luck :slight_smile:

12. s5m1

All very good points. No one should do it until they are ready. There are also regional differences with respect to the potential actual physical danger someone may face.

Perhaps the most difficult part of the coming out process is coming out to ourselves. It took me decades to do just that, so I know how hard it can be. I suggest that the sooner someone accepts that he/she is gay and that they cannot change it, and then lives their life as they want to, not as other want them to, the sooner that person will be able to live a happy life.

Once you get over the first few hurdles of accepting yourself, being gay can actually be a lot of fun. There is nothing like being completely comfortable looking at a hot guy and not feeling guilty about it. Going to gay clubs or gay support groups at school, without worrying if someone will see you, is incredibly liberating (if that is what you want to do). And, finding a life partner who you are in love with and being able to go anywhere with him is indescribable. In my view, hiding who you are prevents you from doing all of this, and so much more.

13. Zachary825

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    thank all of you guys so much for the support.. i read each and every single one of them and it made me think and understand more. thanks so much, and ill probably come out when i have to or want to maybe.. thanks so much again.

14. Tokarov

Tokarov Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    LOL
    I'm still waiting on that to happen, it's been 17 years now.

I haven't come out to my HS class because it's a catholic school. That's reason enough.