1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leaving for college tomorrow. AHHHHH

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mike J, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Mike J

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    :eek::eek::eek:AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHH :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Am I the only one in the universe that is this nervous and scared out of his mind? All my friends are just so excited and happy about leaving but I'm literally shaking and pacing around the house. I know I'm most likely going to love every minute of it.. but ... but... I'm gonna miss my mommy! Yes I said it. I'm almost 19 and I love my mommy and I'm going to miss her! and my bed. And my room. and food! AhhhHHHh!! I'm so stressed out :frowning2: !!

Freakout Aside -

I still haven't told my two best friends (who are going to the same University) that I'm gay. I really wanted to do it before we left so there wasn't so much of a suprise when I finally started to .. be gay?..gayer?

I can't believe its finally here.. the moment I've been referring to for years now as the time when I will finally "be out". I hope I can do it. I'm going to be meeting tons of people over the next week, month, year and I hope I can do it. Not blurt it in peoples faces but just "Be out" !?

I'm seriously panic attacking here. I haven't even finished cleaning my room out... or packing...

I'm so dramatic :dry:

:eek::eek::eek: AHHHHHHH :eek::eek::eek:

2. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No! You're fine! At least you're going to start in a public college. I chickened out and done online classes first. However, in January I will be attending a campus. I'm terrified. Honestly, I'm an introverted guy and don't socialie much at all! However, I'm going into the acting field. It will help me to become more outgoing I hope and will have a better life than what I have now. Being terrified is not bad. When I get terrified i start shaking, getting sick to my stomache, etc. I don't know why, I just do. I guess I care what people are going to think of me too much and such.

3. epiphanies

I am currently writing this from my campus apartment, and I am in my senior year. Trust me when I say you are going to be fine. I have been exactly where you are. Since you will be living on campus, I assume you have a meal plan. So don't worry about food, they'll make sure you're fed. However, homesickness is a real part of moving to college. Take any pictures of family that you have and put them up in your room, so you can see them every day. You can also call your mom and talk to her. I still talk to mine almost every day, and I'm 21. No, I'm not attached or dependant on her, but it helps to talk to her on the phone. Another option would look into using something like Skype to talk to her through webcams, if that is possible. My friend does that now, so she's still very close to her mom. So don't worry about the small stuff, like food and being homesick. These are valid concerns, but you will make it, and you'll hopefully enjoy the transition you're about to make.

Now, the whole "being out" issue. If you really want your best friends to know, I would say tell them towards the beginning while everyone is still transitioning. All 3 of you should hang out in the next few days and hopefully you could tell them then. There is no pressure to tell them though. I understand wanting to tell them ASAP, as my brother just started here as a freshman and I didn't want to be out to any more people until I was out to him. Now as for being out to others, just be yourself and if it comes up, it comes up.

That was long. Overall, don't stress or worry. Have fun, work hard, and stay calm. Enjoy the packing :slight_smile: I was a procrastinator too. haha

4. tokwa

You are going to be FINE. It's normal to miss everything. Lol, I was like that too when I went to my dorm I was like "i'm gonna miss everything" and "i wanna go home", First day of college life it was just me against them, you know, loser and stuff. Then the days went by, I thought I was going to be lonely for life. Then, these girls were like "Wanna have lunch with us?" Then poof. I became friends with the whole section. Lol.

I haven't told my best friend that I'm gay either. I think she knows anyway. -_-

5. Mike J

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Ahh thats so cool I hope I get sucked into a group of friends :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And an UPDATE

I'm going to go to lunch/shopping with one my best friends tomorrow to get some new school clothes and such... and I wanna tell her... idk how though. We've been friends since we were 4. .

6. Ben

Ben

Sometimes when telling a good friend you just have to force it out. Push yourself into a corner first and then there's no way out of it. "So I was thinking of telling you something which is kind of important but not really as big deal" is easier to say and kind of forces out the coming out. :slight_smile:
    And good luck with college, you'll be great. And you won't be the only person experiencing loads of nerves.

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Coming out over lunch is actually a good way to come out. You could for example start the conversation by saying that you want to tell her something about yourself because you want her to know you for you, and take if from there. If you feel that there are too many people around during lunch go for a walk or go to a coffee shop with her after the lunch/shopping.

About college....yep, the first couple of weeks can be a difficult, because you will need to get used to, to your new surroundings. But as you settle in and start making new friends and get down to studying, you will probably find that the feelings of missing your mum and your more familiar surroundings will subside. As it was mentioned above, one thing that can help you to bridge the transition is to bring stuff with you from home, so that your new 'home' has a feel of home...make a list of the things that you think you will need and want to bring and make sure to pack them. And yes, call your mum and friends. That can really help with not only maintaining your connections with home but also it brings home closer to you!

University can be a lot of fun and I hope that you will enjoy your studies and stay at the university. If you have the time, try to join some student clubs and become active...it enriches your university experience. :slight_smile:

8. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm very close to my mom now. I depend on her a lot. This is going to be hard for me when I move in January. Also have the fear of not making friends and being made fun of.. Sry not trying to hijack the thread, lol.

9. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No you're not. When I went college I freaked too, first time away from home, in the closet, going to a place where I knew no one. Are you nervious yet?
    Look, everyone feels this way and you're going to a place where everyone is in the same boat.

10. 71390S

71390S Guest

I freaked out too!! It's turned out okay though =)

11. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

It's VERY nerve-racking moving away to college...I just did it a week ago yesterday. You'll do fine :slight_smile: .