1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out in high school.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Woot, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Woot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey guys! I'm a sophomore in high school right now and I think it's time I came out to everyone, but I have one problem... I have no idea how! I've already come out to most of my friends, but idk how to tell everyone. I'm thinking I could tell a few people and see how far the gossip goes, but idk how to even do that! The main reason I think I'm having so much trouble with it is because I don't know how to make it sound like no big deal, and the ultra-conservative area I live in doesn't help me out any :S It would really help me out if you guys could give me a few scenarios or something to help me get an idea of what to say/how to say it.
    p.s. Can I get a WOOT!?!?!? :grin:

2. Greggers

Well if your sure you want everyone to know, just tell that "one friend". Everyone seems to have that one friend who just cannot keep a secret. Someone who gossips alot and anything they know spreads to people like fire does to trees.

If your doing it the old fashioned way, telling one friend at a time, its only a matter of time before people start to leak it anyways. If everyone you have on your facebook/myspace/msn or whatever you have knows your gay, its safe to assume your out of the closet.

Id say just tell whoever is most important to you first then work your way out. It should solve itself that way.

3. mattypants

woot!!
    now that thats done with, um... scenarios...

i can only think of speaking about it loudly in public, like "oh, hes cute. what? oh, yeah, im gay" and said very loudly to the point its like youre bragging obnoxiously about it... :lol: or maybe not.

any other ideas ec?

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there and welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

One way to continue to come out would be to 'correct' others when they ask if you have a girlfriend. For example if someone asks: "so do you have a girl that you like? or do you have a girlfriend?", you could just say "No I don't have a boyfriend yet, but there are a couple of guys that I like..." (if that is the case). If you are with others and you find a guy standing at the end of the hallway cute, just say "the guy is cute"...and so forth. If your school has a Gay-Straight Alliance join in and become active and don't hide that you are a part of them. Doing that normalizes it, and it doesn't sound like a big deal....
    You can also show it by wearing a rainbow wristband or having pins on your backpack for example....

Now that said, before you do this, I think it would be good if you would give it some more thought though. How is your support network? Should you get a few bad reactions (given the nature of the area where you live), I think it would be important that you have people to whom you can turn to for support. The stronger it is the better. The other thing is (and which you have not mentioned), are you out to your parents? Is there a chance that they could hear it from someone else before they do from you?
    If you are out to your parents and feel that you do have a strong enough support network, then go for it. But if not, it might be something to think about....

Hope this helps!

5. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Change your status on Social networking sites.

6. Mitchell

Umm...

Join Gay Straight Alliance
    Wear gay pendants
    Do your nails
    Say you're gay on facebook

7. Woot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey guys, I've decided what I'm going to do, so thank you guys for the advice! I'm going to change my orientation on FB (which, pretty much everyone at school will see), and make a status update dedicated to it. Wish me luck! :grin:DD

@ Asteroid:
    Yes, my parents know, and I have a supportive group of friends. Erm, my town, hehe. It's tiny, and there's no nearby gay-friendly resources or anything like that :S. But yeah, I've thought this through plenty XD Or so I hope, I don't have any idea what kind of homophobic reactions I'll get!

#7 Woot, Sep 5, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It's great that you have a supportive group of friends and that you are out to your parents! I hope it goes well with changing your fb status. Good Luck!

9. olides84

Good luck Woot! Let us know how it goes :slight_smile:

10. Tokarov

Tokarov Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You have no idea how true that is.