1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drugs/Drinking in college

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 71390S, Sep 6, 2009.

1. 71390S

71390S Guest

This has been bugging me for a while (since I started college). I knew kids would party hard in college, experiment with drugs/drinking but it's really bothering me. It's been hard not to make friends, but to find friends who are drug free and don't abuse alcohol. I don't really know what kind of advice I am looking for, maybe this is just a vent xD. But being surrounded by people who like to party this way kinda makes it hard to relate to my peers and fellow freshmen. Idk....

2. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    They are out there, you can't be the only one.

3. 71390S

71390S Guest

Totally! I have made friends, but it's just a little harder.

4. revolutionrock

Agreed! I enjoy the occasional party, but my dorm (and even my roommate) seem to party every night of the week.

Sometimes, I like to read! Lolz.

5. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just stay away from fraternaties, LOL. no offense to them..

6. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    High five for another student who's not into all that xD And I'm living on campus, virtually every activity is alcohol-related to some degree.

7. Gaetan

I was lucky--half my floor wasn't into partying. Still, it shouldn't be that hard to find people who would rather stay home--do exactly that. Some Friday or Saturday night, wander around and see who didn't leave to go drink. Walk in, say hi, suggest going out to a fast food place.

8. GoBabyGoGo

damn cant wait to go to uni and party every night

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My college had a lot of students who were, in politically correctspeak, "outside the social mainstream" (in more plain words, slightly nerdy, of which I was one) I don't know if that's why, but there were a lot more drug (and alcohol) free students there than at a lot of other schools. There were also no fraternities or sororities; they are banned by college policy.

Every school has some drug and alcohol free people, it's just a matter of finding them. The sad part is, a lot of students simply don't even understand they can have a good time without drugs or alcohol... and there's sort of a subtle peer pressure that comes to play on those who don't "conform", so many who start out being opposed to drugs and alcohol tend to get sucked in. But finding others who share your own views (and doing your best to avoid those who don't) is the best way to "vaccinate" yourself against making bad decisions.

This is simply brilliant advice.

10. olides84

I'd say take it with a grain of salt right now. School started, the freshmen are finally away from the parents and what 'better' way to declare independence than get shit-faced :grin: And those who aren't are getting peer-pressured to join in. But I'd say in a few weeks, when school work picks up, temps cool, and people run out of party money, things will calm down a lot. And then some of the kids you seem to always see drunk or stoned now will be a lot more sober and approachable.

11. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I'm glad to see we straight-edge students aren't too few and far between. Freshman year is really they year that separates the boys from the men and the girls from the women. Those who party too hard will end up flunking or dropping out, but those who do it responsibly or not at all will stay in. Just wait and there will be more people you'll be able to relate to. Until then, try volunteering at one of the service centers on campus or joining clubs for people with similar interests to yours. That will make it easier for you to make friends.

12. cicciux

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    <rant>yeah... it's like that for me too... it's like people are 'cool' because they burn their brain with alcohol or hard drugs... I've managed, however, to find friends who don't do that... and we are all happy to have found each other and now we go out and don't drink and don't do drugs togehter... and have even more fun than most people... and the best of it... we remember it the next day! </rant>

13. xequar

Go hang out in the honors halls. You'll find all sorts of less-ienbriated types there.

14. partietraumatic

i cant wait for the social side of it :grin:

Also it slightly irks me that drugs and drinking are thrown in together,drinking isn't illegal,drugs are.

15. 71390S

71390S Guest

Drinking and drugs are often done together. Booze and pot have got to be the hottest items at a "classic college party." I think when someone thinks getting smashed is a good time, that that's a little pathetic.

Anyways, thank you for the advice and input.

16. RaeofLite

I only did the binge drinking at parties when I was struggling with my sexuality which was a good two years at least...

but other than that I've stayed away from drugs and alcohol (though a bit socially now) is ok.

Kudos to you. We're out there. :grin:

17. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Hoorah! I need to remember this and tell it to anyone who tries to get me to drink.