1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writing a coming out letter?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by notquitebutch, Sep 8, 2009.

1. notquitebutch

Hey guys.

So I read a thread last night about coming out letters, and I feel like I want to write one... but that's it. Just write it. I don't actually want to give it to my mom, but I feel like I need to write it.

Should I? I guess it could be good to get my thoughts down, but then would I be too tempted to give it to her? Oi :bang: Has anyone else ever had a spontaneous comingoutletter urge?

2. Mitchell

I like this idea..

You can always write it and share it with us here, or write it and rip it up into many pieces and throw it away.

3. EM68

That is a great idea! Before I cam out to my parents I was so stressed out. I was not ready to tell them but it was weighing heavily on me so I wrote my coming out letter 2 months before I gave it to them. Every so often I would read it and make changes. It helped relieved some anxiety.

4. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still have my coming out letter on my hard drive. Aptly titled "The letter I never sent".

I think it did me a whole lot of good to write it, even though no one besides me has ever read it. In fact, that letter was the first time when I ever wrote down "I am gay". I still rememmber the feeling I had when I wrote that. It was basically the moment I came out to myself, when I finally realised things weren't going to change and I wouldn't miraculously turn straight some morning.

And over the weeks and months following, I changed it over and over, and refined it, and answered any question people might possibly have. And then I decided it would work better to tell people in person anyway, and I never used it. But all of the thinking I put into it did help me when coming out to people.

So I'd say go for it! The odds of you suddenly giving it to someone are pretty slim, and while writing it, you can only disover more about yourself!

5. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've written many a letter I've never sent (not gay related), and many a support post I've never actually posted (here).

Sometimes the sheer act of writing something out lets you clarify your thoughts, even if you don't send it to anyone. Look at what Filip wrote above.

I don't think you would be too "tempted" to actually give it to someone, though letters are a popular medium to come out in.

6. olides84

Count me as part of the pro writing-it-down crowd. Writing things down forces me to really focus my thinking, whether I'm trying to present something, or structure arguments, or even simply trying to do a brain-implant of facts for an exam. Whereas just keeping it in my head only allows for endless loops of thought.

7. notquitebutch

I actually wrote it during some free time in school today, and while it was really therapeutic to write, I doubt I'll ever show anyone. (Well, okay, I'll post it here, but. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

I just... don't want to tell her. I want her to know, but I don't want to have to tell her or to discuss it. Weird.

8. SshhhSTFU

I wrote one that was never sent once. It really is therapeutic :wink:

9. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    I wrote one left it for my Parent's and ran away to another country (it was a school trip and decided it was the perfect time to come out because i would be far away for a couple of week's) but ye it did help just writing it wish i had handled it better but still