1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online Dating

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ColdNight, Sep 8, 2009.

1. ColdNight

ColdNight Guest

I've done it, I've regretted it, I've thought it was the most important thing to me.

I've felt love, I've felt hate, but I feel confusion.

Online dating, is it right? Is it worth it? Can there REALLY be true love when you can't hold them close? Was what I felt/feel, not love, but just the need for someone in my life? It is sad, pathetic, and desperate of me to hook up online, with people who could be on the other side of the world?

2. Kaden

It's got its advantages. There's such a huge number of people on the internet that it's hard NOT to find SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE who's compatible with you. If you're just hurting for some kind of companionship - where you can share emotions with someone on a whole different level, then online relationships are pretty good with that. What you lack, obviously, is any sort of physical intimacy. It's up to you to decide whether or not you think the tradeoff is worth it.

True love is what you make of it. It's not necessarily what's written in a romance novel, or shown in the last hit romantic comedy you've seen, or what your friends tell you it SHOULD be like. It's what YOU think it is - and if in your definition of true love, physical intimacy (including but not limited to sex) is required, then it can't exist in an online relationship. If it's not required, then it can be.

But remember that some relationships that start online don't have to end through typed word or a webcam. I can think of two examples off the top of my head where people who were in an internet relationship got MARRIED in real life, and another where a good friend of mine moved from the US to NEW ZEALAND in order to be with the person they loved.

Just remember when you ask these questions, it's impossible for us to give you the answer. The best we can do is give you food for thought, and then you decide what the right answer is for you.

3. Bradley James

I met my boyfriend via a message board like this, and we got talking on MSN. I was happy with him; I loved him. So yes, depending on the person, it can be right. But as with everything, it can also be very wrong...

4. EM68

I met my bf through a dating site. Its going great. We have been seeing each other for 3 months.

5. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

To be honest I rather not use online dating, but thats how my sister found my brother in law so.. I dunno.

6. Jim1454

Are you talking about finding someone online, or having an online relationship? The two are different and I think being confused here.

As others have said, I think using the internet to find someone that might be compatible makes sense. My bf and I met through the internet too, and it's been two years.

Having an online relationship with someone, to me, seems like you'd be short changing yourself. There's so much more to life than sitting in front of a monitor texting to one another. There are places to go and experiences to share if you can be with someone physically.

Having said that, there are people who have fallen madly and deeply in love, and moved half way across the country or half way around the world to be together. But that's fairly rare.

I don't know how old you are, and it probably doesn't matter. The fact is that you don't HAVE to be in a relationship at all. There are other elements of your life that can provide you with pleasure and give you reason to feel good about yourself. Look for some of those things first, and I bet your next boyfriend will find you.

7. cicciux

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    meeting people online is easy, fast and sometimes necessary... for anything other than meeting and arranging a face-to-face encounter (over a cup of coffee perhaps?) I'd say it's not really good.

8. breakingout

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Online dateing is not wrong. and its also not a last resort thing either. when i first joined an online chat/dateing site. i met the love of my life we talked adn the next thing i new we were months in to knowing eachother. i drove 3 hours to go visit him and it was the best thing that has happend to me. you just want to make shore that you arnt alone when you meet them. or have them come to your house cause if something goes wrong they know where you live.