1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to Quit My Job- Teacher

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by drake86, Sep 9, 2009.

1. drake86

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Are there any teachers out there? I am a first year teacher teaching in a pretty low income area. The students have lived pretty hard lives and reflect that at school. They are smart kids but just very different than what I am used to. I never though being a first year teacher would be this hard. I am part of a program that places you in an impoverished region to teach for two years. The organization is pretty hard to get into and definitely opens doors once the two years are over. I find myself dreading work every night and every morning. I know I am not going to stay in education and often wonder if I should just throw in the towel. I moved to a city and left my family and close friends to be involved in this organization. I eventually want to go to law school and this experience will likely help. I am not really happy and can figure out if I will regret quiting. AHHHH. On top of this I still have not come out to my parents despite writting them a letter about 2 weeks ago. I think one of the reasons that I may be upset is that I havent come out and continue to worry about it. At the same time though this new job is stressful enough and I dont know if coming out to my parents will add an unmanagable amount of stress to my life... so confused and exhausted.

2. Shyvin

You really need to get to the root of your stress. I am also in the closet and have also written a "letter" but that has led to no avail. *sigh* I know how that goes. Are you feeling guilty about up and leaving your family and friends? Do you think this is adding on to your miserable state?

Imagine, just for a second, coming out to everyone and being supported overall. Despite how you think each person you know will react does this make your situation with the teaching profession better or worse? Or are you so miserable where you are that you just need to leave? Trust me, you have to do what is best for you. Whether that be walking away or not. Only you can really know what it is.

I hope you can find some support and advice here from us, we are here for you!

3. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

If there is one thing I can say, it is that, quite simply....teaching anything below college level is hard. Now, I'm guessing you're just starting out as of this month, or later last month, yes? If so, I would give it a little more time; sleep on it...for a couple of months.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Try to do one thing at a time. Worrying about the letter that you have written and feeling upset about it, will have an impact on you. It's quite possible that this actually affects your performance as a teacher. On top of that, and as you have mentioned, you do experience some stress from the job. Although you are not going to stay in education, but you know that it does opens doors for you. Try to think about why is that you are in it. Once you have thought about it, and you are okay with it, I would say don't give up on it just yet. Remind yourself of the reasons as to why you are in it. As you may know, teaching at any level, whether it be elementary, high school, college, or university is not easy. It really depends on the effort that you are willing to put into it and what you want to get out of it.

Generally coming out to parents will actually reduce your stress levels, because the coming out process can cause a lot of stress both at the unconscious and conscious levels. Coming out to parents is never an easy thing to do. The more you dwell on it, and the more you go back and forth, the more stress you might be experiencing. I think one of the questions you should ask yourself is: "Am I ready to come out to my parents, and if I do, do I have an idea as to how they might react?" If you know that they will be fine with it (based on what they might have said in the past for example) than maybe start thinking about when would be a good time to do it. On the other hand, if you feel that you are not ready or feel that it might be best to wait, then leave it on the back burner for now and try telling yourself "now it's not the time, but there will be a time when I will be ready," and try to concentrate on your current job/future education for now. I know it is easier said than done, but maybe give that a try and see how it goes.

Hope this helps a bit!

5. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there. I'm currently working as a substitute teacher and I don't mind what the job consists of, although unlike you, I'm not a permanent full-time teacher. I would say, like everyone else, just worry about one thing at a time. Since you've just started, I would say give it a while more and see how it goes. Maybe until the end of the semester, if you're really thinking about leaving the teaching profession. I admit, some days I come home from subbing totally exhausted and I'm only with each class for an hour and only for that one day. I guess try giving it a little more time and see how it goes. I hope this helps you out some, coming from another teacher. (*hug*)

6. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Why did you decide teaching? I think that be my last option because I cannot teach at all unless it was just assigning homework and sit down to check it during class.

Is it the students or the profession itself. If it's the profession leave it, but if it's the students than move somewhere else perhaps. I don't know your reasons except you dislike it and the students reflect their lives.

7. Eleanor Rigby

Hi there,

I am a teacher. I have started teaching 5 years ago and I start my 4th year in the same school.
    I relate completly to how you feel because my school is in a isolated and low income area. My first year was exhausting, I was basicaly working days and nights, and I still work very hard for my class.
    However, I love being a teacher, and I love my kids. Being a teacher is very hard sometimes, but it can be very rewarding when you have a good relationship with the pupils and when you see them doing progress.
    Being a teacher is a job where time plays in your favor : the more you know your pupils, the more you know your work, the easier it becomes.
    You can contact me anytime you want for teacher's ranting :slight_smile:

8. Jim1454

I would imagine that just the newness of your situation is stressing you out. Give it time. New job, new city, new (or lack of) friends. Add to that contemplating coming out to family and friends, and you're under a lot of stress.

You really are doing a good and important job by working with underpriviledged kids. You're no doubt making a difference in their lives. And if this is part of the master plan - going to law school - and you're still interested in doing that, then stick with it.

9. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi. I've just started my first full time teaching post, and like you, I moved very far away from my friends and family for the job. And while the area is quite nice, I'm still finding it very tough. Like others have said, you have to give it time. You've just got to persevere, and try to find support from other teachers. What are the other staff at the school like? I've found after a terrible day, just talking about it to some of the other teachers has really helped, sometimes they've had or are having the same problems, and they can give quite useful tips about how to improve things.

As for the coming out issue, I wouldn't stress too much about this right now, it'll just add to all of the other stuff you have to deal with. There's no rush to come out to your parents, if you've written the letter put it aside and try not to think about it. Maybe once this term is over you could go back to it.

I hope this is some help, and if you need any help in the future don't hesitate to ask. I was in your situation yesterday thinking it was all going horribly but today is my good day of the week so I'm in a better mood.

10. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can't change everyone's lives, believe me I've tried, but this is going to open up doors for you in the future then take the bitter with the sweet.

"Grand dad, what do you do when you can't do nothing, but there is nothing you can do?"

"You do what you can."
    -- The Boondocks

11. sexyalex

Hello Drake,

I honestly believe people often stress themselves over the most trivial things at times. I think your a victim of such. I am not speaking of your work- we will get to that later-, I am speaking of your worry about the letter to your parents.

Question: Did you send or post this letter?

If not, you really need to just forget about. Breathe in and out slowly for five minutes every night before bed- it helps you sleep better- and every morning when you get up -because it helps you feel more clear and alert.
    What people don't know, won't hurt them. And their acceptance -no offense- should not be on them right now. It should be on your work. Put aside your sexuality and think about whats important at the moment. There will be plenty of time to come out the box later, for now, it would not hurt to keep ur sexuality a secret from your sexuality a secret from your family.

As to your job. Comming from someone who grew up in a 3rd world country, its not wealth that determines intellectuality, and ability to learn. Anything rich kids can learn, the poor kids can learn too. Nonetheless, the attitudes may differ....completely. But if you give up on those kids, then you will just be another average ass teacher who goes to the Garrison school, failed, and quit...leaving those kids in a horrible fate.
    I highly doubt your like that.

You see, while this may be advantageous towards your future career, I am sure if you are able to work with these kids and make them succeed as much as you did with the kids from the more privileged communities which you are used to, you will feel quite accomplished yourself! And you must also be wondering...why did I use the word..fail?
    My mother has been teaching for over 38 years. From pre-school lvl, and now she lectures at one of the top universities in the Caribbean. If anyone can tell you about dealing with different kids of children, its her.
    Being a teacher (whether your in it today, out tomorrow) its about conforming to facilitate different teaching styles to allow different kids, with different learning skills and potentials to prosper academically. If at the end of the day, you give them a test, and they fail? WAKE UP! You have failed too! And that is no challenge you can get anywhere else! So yes it will be a plus for your resume, and your future career, because you would have been able to be one of the few, special "educators" who were/are able to mold different kinds of children from different backgrounds, and that's what makes a successful leader/or lawyer.

DON'T BE A QUITTER!!!!!!

I mean it man! Don't! If you fail? Try and try again. Go back, see where u are lacking and try again till you can reach those kids. Evaluate them, but most importantly, evaluate you. We are all humans, so positive communication isn't impossible. Nether is teaching, nor learning.

Good Luck! :grin:

#11 sexyalex, Sep 10, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009