1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The United States Air Force

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by EpsilonEridani, Sep 11, 2009.

1. EpsilonEridani

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll be leaving for college soon and I'm considering enrolling in AFROTC (Air Force Reserve Officers' Training Corps) which, after I graduate, would make me a 2nd Lieutenant (Officer) in the AF. I would be working as a scientist in the Biomedical field, because I want to major in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology - let me explain:

I'll be starting my progress towards a Bachelor of Science Degree in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology in the coming year and eventually hope to get my Masters of Engineering in Biomedical Engineering, followed by a Doctorate and possible MD. My career goal is to work toward the combination of man and machine in an attempt to create a greater, more advanced entity. My life goal is to contribute as much as possible to the world - humans, animals and the environment.

So anyway, the USAF could definitely help me out there. But as we know, they have a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy which means that if I join I would have to hide my sexuality for the 4 years while in AFROTC and the 4 years on Active Duty. This adds up to a total of 8 years.

I have no idea what to do...
    Why should I be forced to pick between love / being who I am and my career / serving my country?

I just don't understand. :tears:

2. RaeofLite

...wow. You are so brave. First, for being Completely out, and then considering jumping back into the closet with a locked door? :frowning2:

I couldn't imagine jumping back into the closet and living a lie with a man now that I'm out... I would probably be sick all the time from lying to myself and my heart/body.

Personally, I hope Obama overtturns the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy in the US. Why wouldn't they want perfectly able people to simply love their partner as long as they do their job perfectly well?

I hope it goes through if you do decide to join.. I'm not an American so I can't really advise you otherwise though. *hug*

3. EpsilonEridani

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly, that's my problem - it's not as though I'm still closeted and just continuing the trend. I am completely out... the one thing I thought about is how if I was to ever let it slip that I'm gay, or say 'he' in a story or anything like that, everything I've worked for would be gone in an instant. You know, I was with a guy for 2 and a half years and I reference him a lot in stories and when I'm recalling events - what if I did that while in the Air Force? I'd have to constantly be on my toes for eight years. I don't feel as though I can handle that.

I was hoping that Obama would overturn "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" as you said - but who knows when that will happen? =\ Republicans and whatnot will fight it until the end.

Maybe my best bet is to just be who I am and work hard to fight for equal rights for our community and help pave the way so that no one has to face this dilemma in the future.

Thanks for the help, RaeofLite. *hugs*

4. Jim1454

You shouldn't have to. But for the time being you do.

Life, you'll find, is all about making tough choices. Sometimes picking the lesser of two evils. Short term pain for long term gain. All that kind of stuff.

If this is a means to an end, and you're not interested in a career in the military, I would search for other ways to get your degree if I were you. Four years in the Air Force, when that's not really your thing, is a VERY long time.

If it's and affordability issue, there might be other ways to obtain a degree.

Good luck either way.

5. EpsilonEridani

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The benefits are vast - no one in the world can deny that, but that's not the sole purpose behind me wishing to become an Officer in the USAF. It would give me the aforementioned benefits, it would give me a great amount of experience for my future career and life in general, it would allow me to serve my country and give back to a nation that has given me so much. The list goes on...

I've always wanted to serve some time in the military at one point or another.

With the AFROTC program, you are not obligated to contract (assuming you don't take a scholarship) until your Junior year of College. Meaning I would have two years to determine whether or not I would stick with it. At the beginning of the Junior year, you're then obligated to finish the ROTC program and contract for 4 years to the USAF. It's possible that in the years before actually receiving my commission that the laws will change, but who knows...

I work hard and try to succeed in everything I do. I have an above-genius IQ and a lot of beneficial skills - and the military knows this due to my past experience with them in Army JROTC. Everything from the Army / Army Reserves / National Guard and the Air Force and Navy are coming to my house, calling me, e-mailing me... they want me. And to be honest, deep inside I want to answer the call, but I'm afraid... I'm afraid of hiding who I am and being something I'm not. I'm afraid of everything doing down the drain if they discover I'm gay and they decide to do something about it.

It's so uncertain... But I liked what you said about "short term pain for long term gain" and that has the wheels turning here...

6. s5m1

It is a difficult choice, one that we should not have to make. I know quite a few gay military officers and enlisted men and women who enjoy their careers and have found ways to balance their personal relationships with don't ask don't tell. I also met someone who was discharged for being gay. It really does happen. Nonetheless, you would be amazed at how many gays there are in the military. I am hopeful that don't ask don't tell will go away in the next few years, but there are no guarantees.

7. Greggers

Well if its any comfort, people like you are the reason DADT will be ended in the next four years or so. Its definitely not at all a priority for anyone in the white house or pentagon right now from all the stuff i read about it, but alot of the congressman are really pushing for it to be ended. Thats because of stories. Stories like yours. DADT is easy to just ignore because it does not affect the majority of people, but if the majority of people hear the stories of the minority that is hurting from this - THAT is when things get done.

But enough about that, like Jim pointed out it looks like you just want to use the air force to achieve your final goal. I know a few people doing that with the canadian military. But its not the only option. A select few people from my highschool class got "free rides" through university because of the hours and hours they spent getting top grades and then hours and hours they spent filling in applications and writing essays for scholarships. If you really want to get this degree, and dont want to closet yourself to get they "free ride", then you might think about doing the same. Its alot of work, but if you fill in EVERY application for every scholarship you even remotely apply to, you can get alot of school money. If your still short, get student loans. If thats not enough, work hard your first year and get schoolarships from your university. If people see your going places in life, they will literally throw money at you to get you there.

Good luck with whatever you do, but honestly if i was in your place i would never enter the army under a DADT policy. It would go against every single thing i stand for, and i would never be able to handle the lies.

8. Jim1454

Well it sounds like you might be able to call the shots or get a bit of leniency when it comes to your orientation. It might turn out OK. I'm not 'out' at work either, and I have no trouble managing.

9. Ryesright

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't think you should join until Don't Ask Don't Tell is repealed.

I'm currently and MD student. The cost of my education is astronomical, and clearly I looked up some scholarship opportunities, the best of which is to apply for the Military Health Professions Scholarship Program - officer pay when you're on active duty, a monthly stipend, payed for tuition, etc. Only caveat is you serve for every year you are on the scholarship. Not too bad though considering you graduate with no debt, and can leave the military after 4 or 5 years if you choose.

The downside of doing this as a gay man? If you take a scholarship from the military and then are discharged for homosexuality, you may owe the military back every dime you spent of "their" money. I don't know about you, but I don't have the money to ever be able to do that.

The military is a fantastic way to serve your country and experience genuine camaraderie. However, that can come at serious cost if you choose to be a closeted gay in the military. Closeted gay men have a higher incidence of depression and unhealthy lifestyle behaviors (ie. seeking out prostitutes/strangers as a means of engaging in homosexual activities in their closeted life). Lastly, since you have already come out, you run the risk of discharge if anyone that knows you are out slipped it to anyone in the military. It takes very little to be discharged after an investigation into a homosexual personnel takes place.

10. Ryesright

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh. and PS -

I'm a few years older than you, but when I was just starting to look at colleges and think about my future - I totally had lofty ambitions like you. I still do. However, I've tempered them.

Getting a Masters, PhD and MD for example? You're talking about 4 years of undergrad, 4 years of med school, 5-7 years of PhD, two years of your Masters -- that's quite a bit of learning and not a whole lot of -doing.- That's what I realized. I gave up my ambitions to get a million degrees. Get one really good degree and you can do a lot with it.

...One more thing. The military will always want a bright kid like you. So this isn't do or die. You can still do everything you want, and even join the military. Give it time, see if Don't Ask don't tell gets repealed in this administration (which I think it will), and then join. The USAF will still want you, as will the Army, Navy, Marines and Coast Guard if you told them you were interested.

#10 Ryesright, Sep 11, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  11. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is probably the biggest reason I feel DADT should be overturned ASAP. Lots of intelligent and brave people are willing to join the armed forces, but can not because they are gay. I find it to be an utter crock of sh*t to be quite honest. How the hell are we supposed to be decent Americans and serve our country when we are not allowed?

It is a difficult choice to make, but I say why should you have to make it at all? I mean yes, you would in a sense be denying who you are, but once you make it high enough up and prove the things you can do it won't matter if you're gay or not. If your dreams and goals mean that much to you then I say go for them, no matter what the cost. If you don't think you are able to suppress your true identity (I can't say I'd blame you, hiding who you are is never fun or easy) then maybe you could find another way of going about achieving them?

I don't really think that you'd even have to hide being gay, you just can't openly talk about anything that would insinuate to people that you are. I've heard stories about gay people joining that had no problem whatsoever, so perhaps it would be the same for you.

And the DADT policy works both ways you know, people have no right to be poking around into who you like and who you don't like. :thumbsup:

12. Phantom

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just want to take this entire thread and shove it in a republican's face, show them all the hard working, intelligent and frankly brilliant people they are losing.

13. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    so lucky the idf accepts homosexuals xD

14. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it is a hard choice and an unfair one, unfortunatly I can't tell you what the right thing to do is.

The airforce would help you kick start your career, but you'd have to put your love life on the back burner.

Vice verse: You might not find that guy you want to be with and spend years looking for him.

life is a gamble. Good luck out there.

15. L|L

L|L

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I couldn't do 8 years. After 6, I resigned my commission.

If you are dishonourably discharged from the USAF that will be a black mark on your career record and could potentially cause problems pursuing you career/goals.

Exactly what to you wish to get from a military career?

16. EpsilonEridani

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I realized that I have great pride in being an American citizen. I have pride in being a human. I have pride in everything that I am and take pride in all that I do. I have been following the various military values and enacting what they stand for my entire life and always intend to. I want excellence in all that I do.

I would love to wake up every morning and put on the uniform of the men and women that have fought for the freedoms that I have today. The men and women that gave their lives to ensure that I could have mine. To ensure that we could move forward as people. I want to know that I would be participating and that I could stand among the ranks of the most honorable human beings both alive and dead.

As a Biomedical Laboratory Officer, I could be in charge of running a laboratory and working to advance biomedical research. I'd be practicing, teaching, researching... The opportunities are vast. The benefits are vast - both from a financial aspect and an experience and character building aspect. I feel in my heart that this (joining the military) is the right thing to do, and that it is what I need to do. I need to answer the call of my nation and my people and perform to the absolute best of my abilities.

I believe strongly that DADT will be repealed before my commission comes. But even if it doesn't, I will act as a prime example of how gay men and women are more than fit to serve in the armed forces.

I would like to thank everyone for your words here in this thread and your assistance and guidance on this matter... I'm going to follow my heart and do what I feel is right, even if it means that I will have to hide who I am for a number of years. All I can do is hope that everything goes well...

#16 EpsilonEridani, Sep 14, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  17. L|L

L|L

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Remember that although you think you may be suited for one field, the Air Force will place you where IT needs you.

Food for thought.

18. EpsilonEridani

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Indeed. My Uncle was in the USAF - he initially signed up for one MOS and was later moved to something dealing with Biological Warfare. Very strange, but it is what it is - always gotta read that fine print and get all promises in writing.

19. frostreaver

I've always wondered why do people feel the need to join the military to "serve their country". There are certainly other ways. But that's just me :/

20. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of my friends was completely out in college, had boyfriends, and had "gay" on his myspace and facebook and all.

A couple years after graduating, he decided to go in the navy, so now he's back in the closet. He is a helicopter pilot, and a bunch of the people in his platoon (including his CO) are gay. There's sex that goes on, but everybody maintains the facade of straightness. And he is clear that a relationship is out of the question.

Not the way I'd want to live, but I guess to him it's worth it.