1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hating being gay right now. Thanks, past amazing relationship.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by notquitebutch, Sep 12, 2009.

1. notquitebutch

Warning for huuuuuge amounts of rambling about how much being a homo sucks sometimes~

tl;dr- Lately I've been feeling shitty for being gay, because I really, truly feel that I'll never be as happy with anyone as I was with my ex boyfriend (emotionally, not physically, since, welp. Gay.)

Here's the longer version. Please forgive me if it's a little jumbled, since I'm crying pretty sad right now/have never typed this all out before.

About 3 years ago, in the summer before my 8th grade year (I was 13), I went to summer camp. I ended up meeting a boy there. We got along very well, and I enjoyed being around him. He asked me out, and my friend convinced me to say yes, even though he was 2 years older than I was. It was supposed to be a summer fling, but it just... kept going. We got more and more comfortable with each other, and I fell in love with him. We lasted 2.5 years before I broke it off. (For the last half of that, I was pretty much at his house every night and through the weekends. We were inseparable) I knew that while I loved him, I could never be physical with him, and that's important in a relationship.

About a year into this relationship, right before I turned 15, I accepted the fact that I liked girls. I didn't rule out guys completely at that point, but I knew I wasn't straight. (I've thought about it before then, before I met him, but I was too young to really understand it or question it. We got too serious before I had the chance to figure out who I was, which led me into this mess to begin with.) His reaction was horrible; he cried, I cried, he thought I was leaving him/cheating on him/ect. He's since apologized and realized that was a dick move, but at the time I told myself to just forget it since I loved him and that was all that mattered.

During this time, we were preeetty sexually active. I know, looking back this is horrible, but I lost my virginity to him 2 months into dating him. (I don't regret, though. It sounds stupid, but I knew we'd be together a while. We really were that perfect together.) In the beginning, I didn't enjoy it, and since we started while i was so young, I attributed it to my age/inexperience/whatever. As time went on, though, my feelings of indifference towards doing sexual things turned into disgust. I'd get choked up/almost cry during actual sex, so we stopped. I made him stop doing things for me, since it felt wrong and gross to me. (unless I pictured a girl; he caught onto that, though, and confronted me. I had to stop, since I felt guilty about it.) I still did for him, because I loved him, but I eventually needed to stop that, too. Towards the end of our relationship, I couldn't even kiss him without it feeling horribly wrong. This process of stopping everything was pretty much the entire second year or our relationship.

Now, we all know how teenage boys are, and what they want. When a teenage boy is dating someone who won't put out, there's a lot of tension. When we were just doing normal things together, we were great; we still laughed a lot, we talked like we always used to, and we just seemed like the happiest couple ever. But, whenever sex came up, there was so much tension. He'd ask if I still loved him, if i was still attracted to him, if I was cheating on him. Eventually, his constant jealousy (he kept thinking I wanted someone else, so I wouldn't do things with him) and the overwhelming feeling of "HEY, LEX. YOU'RE GAY. JUST TO LETCHA KNOW" forced me to break up with him. He was devastated, I was devastated. We cried into the phone for hours. I didn't tell him the real reason, just the jealousy/other things he was smothering me with. (just to clarify; he wasn't the typical HAVE SEX WITH ME OR YOURE A BITCH teenage guy. I can't explain it, but he wasn't an asshole about it; there was just tension.)

About 2 months later, I took him back. I missed him so much and felt so guilty (but free, liberated) without him and much more comfortable (but trapped) when I took him back. It was relieving and horrible at the same time. When we were apart, I cried because I thought I'd made a mistake and because I missed him. When we were together again, I cried because I was lying to myself. Since the tension was still there, we had a nasty fight, broke up, said our last 'I love You's and didn't speak for about 9 months.

Now is the about 9 months later point. We're speaking again, and we're almost back to our old selves. I recently told him the real reason why I broke up with him, which explained the sex tension. He knows I'm gay, and is okay with that (well, as okay as you can be with the girl you love being a lesbian.) But, we still joke around like we used to, still have the same inside jokes, everything like that. But, what's also back is the guilt I have for leaving him. We both know (we've talked about it) that we feel the same way; we feel like we'll never find any relationship like the one we had. We know we still love each other and that we always will. Hell, I even told him that if in 20 years we're old and lonely, we should just get married and get some cats like we used to plan. He agreed with me. He's dating another girl now, but he says it's not the same. He'd come back to me in an instant. He even 'jokingly' says he'd "sprout a vag so we could be together again."

I still can't help feeling like I've made a huge mistake, but at the same time I know we wouldn't work because of the sex thing. I'm only attracted to women. I can't have sex with him (or even KISS him, or hold his hand) without it feeling horrible to me. But I don't think I'll ever find someone else I'm so perfectly compatible with. As I said before, this probably sounds like the normal teenage "omg we're soooo in love lolol" but what we hadd was really special. I don't think I'll ever be that happy/comfortable with anyone ever again, unless it's him, but then I'd be miserable, too. How is that even possible?

I hate it. I hate myself. Why couldn't I just be straight and we'd be happy together? I feel like i've ruined my whole life. We had it all planned out. We were happy.

Sorry for the wall of text, but he's my only friend, and I obviously can't say any of this to him without him saying "Nononono you're normal, I just want you to be happy in life."

I'm so lost right now.

#1 notquitebutch, Sep 12, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  2. Tokarov

Tokarov Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So let me get this straight. You hate being gay because your lesbian, which conflicted with your relationship with your ex-boyfriend and now you two aren't together but still talk about being together and you feel really guilty about all of it.

lawl if he's dating another girl but still talks about being with you. I feel sorry for that other girl.

Well you can't change the fact that your lesbian, and the fact that your lesbian makes it that a relationship with him never works out. So you feel really guilty.

You're lesbian and you can't change that so don't feel guilty. As for your guilt about breaking up with him, I can't help you with that. Other people on EC might be able to help you.

Good luck.

3. notquitebutch

It's not just guilt, it's really more the feeling of knowing that I'll never have anything like we had. I don't have a word to describe it, really.

Yeah, I feel bad for her too. He doesn't like her -that- much from what I can gather... but, they both just started college, so we'll see how long they last :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Tokarov

Tokarov Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You never know. You could (and probably will) find someone to connect with on that same level. It's just a matter of moving on.

5. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i hate it too...

but i love your avatar, one of the best gay movies ever

too bad she isn't well known

6. Eleanor Rigby

Hi Lex,

I am really sorry that you feel so bad (*hug*)
    First thing there is nothing wrong with you being a lesbian, and you've done the right thing both for you and for your ex-girlfriend ending relationship where sex made you feel uncomfortable.
    Now, not being a couple anymore doesn't mean you couldn't have a deep and fulfiling friendship this guy.
    What you described of your relationship made me reminds me a lot of me and my best (male) friend at the same age, except for the fact we never had been a couple.
    We get along amazingly well, we were spending all our time together, we understood each other even without needed to talk. This relationship with him was much deeper and fulfiling than any love relationship we could have adise from this. We even had planed to marry and have children if we were both single at 26.
    When I grew up, I met my husband and I have been able to be in a meaningful love relationship. But my friendship with my best friend didn't lost it's intensity, and I am lucjy enought to have a husband who understood how this friendship was important for me and who had never been jealous of it.
    Instead of considering you've lost your boyfriend because of your sexuality, you might consider you've gain a best friend. Of course you have things to sort out with him, but I think that's worth the try.
    I wish you all the best, Eleanor

7. olides84

I'm not going to try to diminish the relationship you had with this guy. But I did take notice when you said this:
    If you don't start making some other friends, whether or not they are guys or gals and whether or not they might lead to dating or a relationship, the more likely you are to fixate on this past relationship and its possibilities and its downfall. You never talked about what you had done to try to move on...now that he is off to college you have an even better opportunity to change your focus.

8. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm, it seems English doesn't have a word for it. The Germans call it Sehnsucht and the Portugese Saudade.

In any case, don't get caught up in a feeling that the best relationship you'll ever have is now over and anything else can only be a pale imitation. I don't want to demean your memory of it, but when thinking back at it you're probably overexaggerating the good parts and playing down the bad things. As you said, you were feeling trapped during a big part of it.

And it being your first relationship makes you lack any frame of reference. It will always be something special, as first thing often are, but there are lots of ways of being happy. Different, yes, but once you appreciate the difference you'll see that another relationship can be just as great! As the above poster said, you justr need to make new friends and find out what they are like.

And maybe it takes a few tries, but hopefully you'll find a girl that makes you say: "I'm glad I'm gay so I was able to end up with you!"

(*hug*)

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello other Lex.

It's not necessarily that the best relationship of your life is now over. Sure, the best relationship of your life SO FAR is now over, but that's nowhere near the same thing. For the last two or three years, you've spent all your time, energy, and mental powers to "make this thing work". A thing that, as you've come to realize, can't work. You're gay, he's a guy, so you're not meant to be happily-ever-afters. What you had there, and what you still have there, is a great kick-ass friend. The kind we all could use, and the kind that some people on this board would give their right arm for. The kind of friend you can share anything with. The kind of friend that you can talk about your new girlfriends with. The kind of friend that'll buoy you up when you're having trouble somewhere else in your life. The kind of friend where you'll be "best man" at each other's wedding, because you're uber-stoked that the other found that perfect person to make them happy.

As you've seen, the problem comes when (and don't take this farther than it needs to) you try to put the square peg in the round hole. That's not what this is. Try to accept it for what it is, because it IS something special. And eventually, you'll find the rest of it, too. :slight_smile:

Lex