1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to an ex.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by NateDawg, Sep 13, 2009.

1. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, as the topic states I came out to an ex girlfriend of mine. It went well I guess, however she is a Christian and was taught it was wrong bla bla bla. She hasn't really said much, and I wish I had enough of reasdong to back myself up when she tells me it's wrong and such. I accept her opinion as she has a right to it, but I just don't know what to do from here.

2. BlasttheCloset

Honestly, I don't think that it usually helps to try to use reason in those arguments. If you want her to quit telling you that you are wrong, just tell her that you respect her opinions, but would like her to do the same for you. If you actually want to change her mind...well, I think patience and tolerance is there is, and just hope that she realizes that you're still the same person.

3. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree. However, I jsut wish I was able to back the question, "You know it's not right, right?". I can't. I was taught it was wrong as well. I never looked into it or anything. All I know is what the bible says (which I've come to ignore). It's very difficult being a Christiand and gay. I understand that religion is morbid and it is a relationship with Jesus Christ. (others may disagree, which is ok). I don't think it means we have to have a male:female relationship. The only thing it says is to have a personal relationship with hima nd you shall get into heaven. '

I don't know. I've kind of just given up.

4. shimmersky

I am a gay Christian, too, and I know how hard and confusing this is.

But God loves EVERYONE, which includes you and me!

God made you this way... how could God hate anything that God created?

If someone is saying that you are wrong or a mistake, realize this: You were born this way. Meaning that, if there is a mistake, then that mistake must have been made by God. Which is impossible to believe, if you're a Christian!

Also, the part of the Bible that says homosexuality is wrong is the same part of the Bible that says things like wearing a shirt with two different threads (like a cotton/polyester blend) is equally bad! In reading the Bible, we must remember that it was written with the customs and politics of its time period in mind, and some things just don't apply anymore. Proof: http://www.humanistsofutah.org/2002/WhyCantIOwnACanadian_10-02.html

More resources:

http://www.truthsetsfree.net/faq.htm (Some comebacks for those questions you keep hearing.)

http://www.gaychristian101.com/ (Resources for gay Evangelical Christians, if you are one.)

http://www.gaychristian.net/bible/index.php? (This is an index of specific scriptures from the whole Bible that will help you to feel affirmed in your sexuality and closer to God.)

http://christiangays.com/ (An open community emphasizing the love and acceptance in the word of God.)

If you need anything else, or have any questions, feel free to contact me. Or just do so to update me on your journey. May God bless you and grant you the courage to live your life fully, as you were meant to.

5. Alex19

tell her to shut the fuck up and keep her biggoted opinions to herself and church. dont talk to her anyway. theres nothing u can gain from being friends with her. unless u wanna try to open her mind a little. and tell her shes wrong about being gay. she clearly doesnt know shit. sorry if i sound rude and mean, but im pissed after reading that.

6. BlasttheCloset

I can understand how hard that is, to feel like you are going against what you have been taught is right and wrong. Something that it might help to remember is that the bible was written by people, and so it has contradictions, but the overall message is about God's love, and about being a good person and having that relationship with Christ. The minutiae are just man's mistakes in trying to understand God.

I personally am not religious, but a friend of mine went through a crisis of faith when he realized that he was gay, and this is what helped him. He also moved from a very strict church to one that is more tolerant, but that was a really big decision.

Good luck.

7. kramer362

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aawH1NZ6PFY[/YOUTUBE]

I think this is relevant... but again it's tough trying to make someone change their beliefs sometimes even when its blaringly obvious they're wrong.

8. certified Hotti

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think its really great of u to have told her. so congrats on that!
    its unfortunate that she is one of those kinds of christians and doesnt accept what u are, but there is truly nuthing u can do to change her mind if she was brought up that way. I think dat now that u told her the truth and she has expressed her opnions, its better to just move on and not try to change her mind. if she still wishes to be friends with u, thats awesome, but if she doesn't then i think u shud leave it as it is instead of trying to make her accept u!

9. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Indeed. It is VERY hard... I do believe some things in the Bible don't pertain to today, but again it's all confusing when you're brought up one way.

Thanks! I felt I needed to tell her... It is sad she is this type of person, but I do understand her points. I can't change her mind unless she desides on her own. Nothing much has been nsaid today about the subject, and she still does wish to be friends. I did ask her if she now seen me as Nate, or as this gay person she dated and I loved her answer.. At least I do knowo I'm just Nate to her still. Sure, she thinks it's wrong, but she's accepting me I think.

10. shimmersky

Yes! Perfect!
    Thank you for being more articulate than I am.