1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have to write a paper about myself... Should I write about being gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by justinishere, Sep 16, 2009.

1. justinishere

For my AP Composition class we are writing an identity paper about ourselves to really show who we are. The first thing that came to mind was me being gay, and my life with how people in my area think it is so bad, but how I am overcoming it all, and that I haven't changed as a person. I think it would turn out fabulous! But I'm kind of scared that I am not ready for a teacher to know, especially one that I just started to get to know since school just started about 4 weeks ago. He said that everything would be private since these are all personal papers.

Should I go for it? I know that if I do it it would turn out great because I have all of these lines, and "battles"

2. Tokarov

Tokarov Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Only if you really want to, feel comfortable writing it, and can deal with the consequences.

3. Alex19

if u feel comfortable doin it, do it

4. s5m1

It sounds like a nice opportunity to come out to someone. Only you can decide, though, if you are ready.

5. Greggers

They say "Write what you know best" and if your like me and have been struggling with your sexuality in recent years, you definitely have alot to write about :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I just wrote about how the word "Church" has changed for me personally since coming out in English class when we had to write an essay on Language. She didnt comment much on it but said i had good points. She is a new teacher for me too so i didnt know how she would re-act.

I think its a good idea. Not only because it will give you a great paper, but because its an important step. Its really showing how far you have come that your willing to write about your experiences as a gay person for someone you dont know well to read. Its going above and beyond telling your friends and family, its really declaring "im here and im queer, so get used to it". Good on you if you do it, i think it will really help you.

6. justinishere

Gee I didn't think of it that way... It would only be for my teacher though. It's a private essay thats personal he said so he would be the only one reading it... Although I bet he could tell something is a little off. For my personal introduction I put together a powerpoint presentation and used references to Taylor Swift.... dead giveaway? lol

7. GoBabyGoGo

i wrote a short story that involved thoughts of a gay guy in a bit of a minor way, but my english teacher loved it!! he said it was very brave and clever. dont know wether he thinks im gay or not. and no one else read it.

but for you by the sounds of it, its a lot more of a personal composition. so if you feel comfortable with that, go for it!!!

8. Greggers

Its about you :slight_smile: Your proving something to yourself by doing this.

9. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only if you feel comfortable doing it. Being gay is part of who you are, but it doesn't define you as a person.

10. Gumtree

I wouldn't make your sexuality the body of your paper; as mentioned before it's only part of you, not all of you.

If you're comfortable with your teacher knowing then I would definitely mention it, but speak about other things as well!

11. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For where i am now id do it in a second. I would be prepared, however, to have the story leaked by someone.

12. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I say go for it, after all it is an important part of who you are. Don't make it the main focus of your essay though, as being gay is just one part of what makes you who you are.

13. olides84

Unlike the previous few posters, I think if you do take the plunge, you might as well make it the main focus of your paper as it sounds like you'd have lots to talk about using that as a central theme. That's of course assuming it's a school essay and not an autobiography.

14. hannahhrosee

sounds like it would be good.
    id go for it:slight_smile:

15. werekid

it is your choice but what ever makes you happy

16. Markio

Well, the assignment is to write about yourself. I would do that. If being gay is part of you are, I would include it as much as it is part of you. Maybe it's not the focus of your life--maybe it is.

Be honest.

17. justinishere

Well it wouldn't be the main focus because there will be other things but it will be a big highlight since he knows a lot about me already because for a summer assignment we were supposed to do a personal introduction and I jam packed it about me :grin:

18. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think olides84 made a good point! If you are already making your sexuality a focus of your paper, why not just write about the things you have mentioned in your first post:

Come to think about it, these would actually be great sub headings! Honestly, I think it would make for a great paper. You could also tie it to how it relates to the other parts of you. Like this, you are talking about your sexual orientation but you are also highlighting other things about you that make up your identity. You could even preface your paper by stating that the topic you are going to be writing about is not an easy one to talk about. I think your teacher would probably be understanding. Teachers are actually good people to talk to and seek advice/help from.

#18 Mirko, Sep 17, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  19. Pasalacqua

I had something similar to this happen last week. I'm in a public speaking class, we had to partner up and interview the person and write a speech about them. One of the suggested interview questions was "what do you look for in a boyfriend/girlfriend." When my partner gave the speech, they said boyfriend, because I didn't tell them, no one in that class knows I'm gay, and I see no reason to out myself to the class. I just grinned a little when she said it.

If you are completely comfortable with yourself, then go ahead. Obviously, it's a big part of you and its had an impact on your life I imagine. If you're not, I would say, just omit it.

20. justinishere

Those are some really good points! (!) It's nice how you just tied that all into something so interesting and something so true to who I am :slight_smile: