1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

letting it all out...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by tired_of_lying411, Aug 1, 2007.

1. tired_of_lying411

I'm on the fence when it comes to how detectable my homosexuality is... I think. Some people ask, as in a very small few, maybe seven on a whole year. Nonetheless, I'd still like to avoid the awkward *blush, gulp* "no." Also, my friends deserve to know the truth... so, this short irrelevant ramble leads me to the age-old question for me... Should I just get it over with and tell everyone at school/in life?

I know everyone will say yes, but it's easier said than done so i guess i just have to take the leap of faith to tell EVERYONE in some way this summer (probably my old favorite [dont hit me] instant messaging.)

So I guess all I want here is for people to tell me how I absolutely HAVE to do this RIGHT now, and that there's NO WAY I stand to gain anything by waiting until I graduate high school....

right??

*psst.. this is where you all shout "yes, come out now for the love of god!" *

it's just starting to feel like something I haven't gotten around to doing yet...

2. tinkerbell

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    YES, COME OUT NOW FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!
    I even shouted like you told me to. You can do it!

3. justjoshoh

I particularly am not a fan of the press conference style of coming out. That is, the folks that think they must tell everybody in the whole world that they are [fill in the blank].

Honestly, my high school had some 800 students enrolled on the average. If I were in your shoes, I don't think everyone in school (in any situation) really needs to know. If you want to tell some friends, that's great. Otherwise, just answer truthfully when asked by anyone else.

For example, I work with approximately 150 fellow co-workers at my unit. I have told some co-workers, which I would consider close friends. A fellow co-worker approached me this week and asked, I confirmed affirmatively that I was seeing a guy.

So this isn't exactly what you were asking for. It is free advice, so you can just take it or leave it.

Oh and I may be showing my age here... seriously you think you should send a message via IM to announce that you are gay? I think there should be some sort of coming out etiquette somewhere. Instant messaging such an announcement seems too impersonal. That would be like telling people via IM that you have terminal cancer.

Prior to receiving off-topic posts that say I am equating homosexuality to terminal cancer and therefore am treating homosexuality as a disease; I would like to say in my defense the comparison is just that in each case it is generally accepted that there is a coping process, not only for the individual but as well as those that are close to the individual. [See work from Elisabeth Kübler-Ross]

4. Evilmonkey

heya!!
    i think coming out in school is a bit risky, or at least it would have been at my school. but... it is enevidable, and if you feel comfortable doing it... FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO IT!!
    and about coming out by msn - do it!!!
    coming out is about you, not the other person. if you feel comfortable doing it by msn, then do it.

5. justjoshoh

Well two great points there to contradict my post, both of which I agree with:

If you feel comfortable doing it [coming out to everyone]... FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO IT!!!

Coming out is about you, not the other person.

6. tired_of_lying411

whoa... thanks guys... and even before reading these uplifting posts, I DID IT!!!!!

well, i started... the rest of my lovelies will find out soon enough. basically, everyone important will get an express notice of my officially being gay. the rest can hear it through the grape vine, and i am now informed, already suspect enough... so thats good. like my works already done for me :slight_smile:

7. justjoshoh

Way to go and good luck with the rest!

I guess all that is left now is to change the "Out Status".

8. tired_of_lying411

9. tired_of_lying411

*PSST* paul, you should abbreviate "out status" so that we can fit alittle more info one one line only :wink:

10. LorenzG1950

Congrats Brenton:eusa_clap. It takes a lot of guts to come out at school. Pretty sure I would have had a very hard time doing that in my day. I think the best part is that you can just be honest with people, not always trying to watch what you say. Hope you don't run into any intolerant :***: :thumbsup:

11. tired_of_lying411

12. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Congrats on coming out. Hope it all goes well for you.

13. Jim1454

Congratulations. It didn't take too many people to convince you here... you were obviously ready! Way to go!

14. Gera-Kun

congrats!^^ I've just resently came out also! Through e-mail, MSN chat, and phone, lol. I'm happy for you and hope everyone will understand you!^^

15. Psych!

Psych! Guest

Congrats, and you were ready to do it, only needed a reassuring push.

16. Half-Light

tired, when i read what your first posted i realized i am going through the same thing...i really want to tell my friends who i am and that i am gay but its just so damn hard to me...

17. tired_of_lying411

it's so amazing. Like life has finally started.

I told the girl that had a crush on me and that went well, now i just have a few more friends to tell.... and then I have to explain to my parents that I have decided to come out the everyone, not just them :slight_smile: -perhaps the hardest part? not that they'll care much.

Anyway, just a quick note to say thanks for all the support, I really was ready :slight_smile:

thanks

18. tired_of_lying411

ps, half light

GO FOR IT!!! :slight_smile: I know it's harder than it sounds but just imagine it as skydiving, the jump itself is the only scary part. You know the dive will be fantastic and the landing, safe.