1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to find out about GSAs?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by notquitebutch, Sep 18, 2009.

1. notquitebutch

This probably has a really obvious answer, but.

I just moved to a new town, and since this school has a LOT more active clubs, I want to find out about the GSA. I emailed the counselor last year since I knew I'd be coming here, and he said there is one. They haven't started yet, and I'm a little worried they won't... how do I find out if they're going to start? I could ask, but I'm really afraid to for some reason, to the point where I want to make a new e-mail and do it that way :/

I want to join NHS, but i need 2 clubs, and GSA would be my second, plus I really need to make some gay friends... but I'm embarrassed almost :/ What would you guys do?

#1 notquitebutch, Sep 18, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  2. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't go to an actual high school, but I'm pretty sure that most of the clubs put up some posters and pass out flyers to get new members to join. Keep an eye out for any sort of LGBT related signs or things like that. Maybe to avoid having to ask around you could wear some small rainbow stuff yourself, then someone might ask you if you know about the GSA. Again, I didn't actually go to high school, so I hope my advice isn't totally wrong.

3. notquitebutch

Haha yeah, I've been on the lookout. I'm just afraid I'll keep waiting for nothing :C I want to email the school but... eeh.

4. Astaroth

You might want to try getting in touch with the councilor or adviser you spoke to before. He or she will already know what you're talking about and will know where to look for an update since they already did it once.

I suppose it depends on membership. If there isn't a GSA body leader left over from last year, it is possible nobody has taken the reins, which would be sad.

Best of luck.

5. Gaetan

Definitely contact the counselor again. Ask if they have meeting times/location set yet. If not, ask who the groups adviser is. Most school sanctioned clubs have at least one staff member who helps run the club in some manner.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually notquitebutch you can check out http://www.gsanetwork.org/ It generally has great info about starting a GSA as well as (I believe) listings for GSAs in different areas.

7. Mitchell

At school where I am at, it isn't really advertised on the school website, nor do we have posters everywhere... I don't know how many people find out about it, although we do have posters for it at open house and club fair (I was there for that).

My suggestion would be to find out who your club adviser is for GSA and email them directly.

8. DexterMorgan

That's for California.

I want to find out if my school has a GSA, also..

9. notquitebutch

I know my school has one, the GSA registry online says it, and I asked my counselor last year through email :slight_smile: I'm just concerned about what Astaroth said, if the leader graduated.

I guess I'll have to suck it up and email someone? Why am I so nervous to do that ugggh

10. ADTR fan

ADTR fan Guest

awee well for the freshmen we had an "activity fair" the first day so sports and clubs all got signed up for then, which was cool and made it really easy. but also we have a bulletin board next to the amnesty international club (2 clubs i signed up for :grin:) in one of the wings so that made it really easy.

but yeah if you feel nervous you should make another account and email them from their. if may just make you feel better :slight_smile:

11. notquitebutch

Well, I made a new email and emailed one of the counselors. If I get a reply, I'll post it~

12. notquitebutch

So I found out that a gym teacher is our GSA advisor (lol stereotypes make me laugh) and I emailed her, too. Hopefully she gets back to me with positive news :'D

13. notquitebutch

Okay, last post, I swear! The gym teacher mailed me back, and she said they're starting soon! So happy. Thursday is the first meeting potentially, so I'm glad I asked!