1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wedding Bells and honesty

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RaeofLite, Sep 20, 2009.

1. RaeofLite

So I'm going to a cousin's wedding next weekend. My immediate family (mom, dad, and sis) will be there too. I put my facebook status to Interested in females and have been more open about that part of me with people. I've lost a couple friends but they weren't friends anyway.

What I'm wondering is how to deal with questions if asked at the wedding. I don't think I will be (but the usual questions about "having a bf etc" always seem to come up when with people I haven't seen in a while (in this case, my cousins, uncle, aunt etc).

To be honest, I want to answer honestly because that's what part of "being out" is all about right? Yet I'm there for a wedding and to be there for my cousin getting married to her sweetheart. I don't think any focus will be at all on me (thankgod it's not my wedding, lol) but... regarding these types of questions..

Should I just answer honestly? I know my parents (mom in particular) has a tough time and wants me to "be safe and in the closet" if she had her way.

2. notquitebutch

If you feel comfortable answering comfortably, I say go for it. Just be like, "Oh, no, I don't date guys, but I don't have a girlfriend, either."

3. Nitro

Weddings are all about the bride and groom; I would advise against stealing the show.

4. Greggers

Well there are different ways of coming out.

You could get on a soap box during the bride and groom's vows and yell out "I LIKE PUUUUUSSY!"

Or, if that does not tickle your fancy, you could pretend likes its just a matter of fact and anytime someone asks you a question that goes against what you are (such as "do you have a boyfriend?") just politely correct them like its no big deal and move on as if nothing big just happened.

Its your pick :slight_smile:

5. starfish

I am currently single. So when asked if I have a girlfriend, I answer no I am not seeing anyone.

The way I am seeing it, they are not asking me about my sexual preference. They are asking me if I am in a relationship.

Now if they start getting specific, like are there any girls I am interested in. I will answer no, but there are a couple of guys I am interested in.

Of course there are a few people I don't want to have that conversation with, so I just say no and go on.

In my opinion being out means not lying, but it doesn't mean you have to share if you don't want to.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's nothing wrong with "choosing your words carefully" if you're simply trying to avoid conflict. "I'm not seeing anyone right now" is totally fine. If you'd RATHER say "I don't have a girlfriend right now", that's totally your choice, but don't feel you HAVE to say that or be a traitor to your orientation. :slight_smile:

Lex

7. BlasttheCloset

Good advice, Lex!

Normally, I would say that if you think your family would not react too badly, I would say just go for it, but in the case of a wedding, it would be bad taste to steal the spotlight. So use your best judgment, and be as open as you can without taking attention away from the wedding and the bride and groom.