1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Furious!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by beckyg, Aug 2, 2007.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My freakin' Republican, right-winger uncle just called me to invite me to the Love Won Out conference in Portland that he will be attending. Anybody know what Love Won Out is? Well......check it out. www.lovewonout.org

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Oh by the way, I told him I would be up there but I would be standing outside passing out brochures from PFLAG.

3. Gera-Kun

That is so messed up.

4. tinkerbell

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    They say their mission is not to turn gays straight but that's exactly what they're doing. I disprove.

5. Jim1454

Good for you!

WHY DO THESE PEOPLE EVEN CARE!?!?!?!? WHY CAN'T THEY JUST MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS AND LEAVE PEOPLE TO LIVE THE LIVES THEY WERE MEANT TO LIVE????

6. Half-Light

sounds ucky to me

7. Dantir

"issue of homosexuality" and "loved one who deals with homosexuality" really put me off there, despite whatever intentions they have. Oh that's right, to turn gays straight.

Ridiculous! Seriously.

8. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    No it's not... since that's IMPOSSIBLE!!!. They can try but they will not succeed.

So Becky... did this uncle of yours know about your association with PFLAG and purposely trying to make a dig at you, or was it completely coincidental. Either way it doesn't help the fact that they're getting involved in something which really isn't their business. How medieval honestly... next thing you know they'll be chucking gays in to ice baths and giving them shock therapy.

NARROW MINDED FOOLS

9. Choucho

*gnaws on their heads*
    Foolish mortals!
    *wiggles arms in dismay*
    Why do these things exist? And more importantly, why do people think it's right? Or, as people have said, even their business at all?
    Someone needs to take all the close minded people and put them in a giant peach basket (with a lid of course) filled with rusty mechanical squirrels... with rabies...

10. Half-Light

it does seem pretty stupid....how can you turn a gay staright? is it possible? lol

11. xequar

So I'm guessing that your uncle knows about your involvement with PFLAG and that you have a gay son, and this is his subtle way of telling you he's displeased with the way you've raised your kids. How frickin' low! If I were nearby, I'd join you for the afternoon just for the fun of it.

This is honestly yet another reason I just got a bumper sticker for my car that says, "GOD, please save us from your followers!"

12. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Oh yes, he knows. I've been very public about my son and my advocating for gay rights. In fact, the very first editorial that I wrote had one rebuttal. From his daughter! Imagine that. If I see him, I'm going to invite him to the emergency PFLAG meeting we're having in Portland that night. I think he needs to talk to a few gay people. Maybe this will be a good thing. (now that I'm calmed down) lol

I had a very nice conversation on the phone with the new PFLAG National President today. That helped alot! Thanks to all of you too! Sometimes the supporter needs some support. :slight_smile:

13. Moth

Ugh, things like that are so horrible. It's so hard for people like me who've been raised in fundamentalist churches who teach that homosexuality is wrong to finally come to terms with it and accept our sexuality, and then these people come and try to tear down all the confidence we've worked so hard to build. It just ticks me off.

Although one thing I find slightly amusing is that they think the "rise in gayness" is a sign of armageddon. Seriously, that's what pepole at my church think. It's ridiculous.

I wish they'd just realize the we can't help it. They compare it to things like alcoholism, but alcoholism is a choice, you're not born with it. I certainly would never have chosen to be gay - I tried so hard to be straight at one point, and I even prayed that God would make me straight. Never did any good, wether with faith or without. God didn't make me straight, and I certainly couldn't make myself straight, so it's just so stupid that they think they can change us. Sometimes I just want to shout at them to grow up.

14. Kat22

If homosexuality was wrong, in God's eyes, then he would not have allowed me to love my girlfriend as deeply as I do. I am very religious and very spiritual. God loves all his children, so much so that he gave them free will. Unfortunately, not all his children use the will in the way he means for it. How can the founders of this group say that they are following God's will, when judgement and oppression is their aim? How can they say that I, or my girlfriend, or your son, or any other gay, les, bi, transgen, etc person whom all we want to do is be free to love whomever we want, be the ones who are wrong?

I would also like to commend you on your support of your son and daughters equally. I know there are many of us that would do anything to have the understanding from our parents that you have given your son. :slight_smile:

15. CrimsonThunder

I really do find it strange that I've never gone to a church that has said that homosexuality is wrong... And if I did I really wouldn't care about what they think. ^.^

I'd go to that place, wearing a rainbow shirt and boo everyone that speaks! That would be fun. =D

16. Rette

I feel so sorry for the kids whose parents or friends actually listen to these things. It must be so hard to accept yourself and your relationships when those closest to you are trying to turn you straight or to repress your desire for relationships.

17. TriBi

Go Becky :thumbsup:

(I'd love to see a video of you handing out your PFLAG flyers to him!) :badgrin:

18. CrimsonThunder

You should get your son to come here Becky, if he doesn't already. =D

Sorry I needed to say that. ;P

19. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I've asked my son to come here. The problem is that he's always working! He manages a health food store six days a week and then does massage on the side! This barely leaves him time to spend time with his bf who still lives in Louisiana right now. The bf is moving out here to Oregon in Jan but until then, there is just not much time left in this day. By the way, I'm at his apartment right now. He's at work!

I will try to get some photos of the event which happens today! I really hope we get some of those people attending the conference to come to our emergency PFLAG meeting we're hosting tonight. Yes, I'm going to invite my uncle. lol

20. CrimsonThunder

Hahaha, hopes it goes well Becky. I'd love to see you're son here. :grin: