1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being bisexual in the military?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mind Freak, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Mind Freak

I'm looking into trying to go to West Point but I like guys.
    So I would be in the military for 9 years; 4 for school and 5 for basically reimbursing (sp?) the army.

Since "Don't ask. Don't tell." is still alive and well I would have to "hide" and wouldn't really be able to explore dating guys much which is something I would like to do before I'm 27 without having to worry about losing my job or source of education.

Sooo.... I don't know what to do. I think West Point would be great for me otherwise; challenging but I'm sure I would be better for it. I feel tons of potential in me waiting to be tapped and maybe West Point would be the kick in the pants I need to be amazing instead of pretty good.

Idk. Do y'all have any thoughts. Help a brotha out. :grin:

2. the ry guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    lol well guy, I'm bi and i'm in the service, i've done two tours and i'm get'n ready to go round 3 in about a week or so i'll try to help u out the best i can, u could go into the reserves/national gaurd and once u get bumped to Spec4 u could do ROTC and they'll pay for ur college and when u get done with college u'll be a 2nd LT and depending on what u want to do u could become a platoon leader. that and you'd only have a 6yr contract. As for me i'm plan'n on becoming and NCO

3. the ry guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i'll try to get more info on the ROTC deal thing, and post it up l8r today, i never thought about going to west point so i don't know if u would have to be active duty for that, if so ur dating life would be greatly restricted

4. PJ James

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dam American policy. You could see if you could be posted to an allied country, there is no restriction on bieng bi in the Royal Army/Navy/Airforce for example so as long as it doesnt get back to your US base then you could do some discreete dating. Of course this plan is risky.

sorry, this sounded better when I thought it.

5. kizza111

dont think like that, theres loads of gays/bi's in the army! go for it

6. s5m1

I first want to thank you for considering serving your country in the military. I know a lot of gay military personnel who absolutely love their careers. They also have very healthy relationships with their partners and gay friends. While it takes some work, they have been able to do it. It is a not-so-well hidden secret that the military is filled with gays and lesbians.

I agree with your thoughts on West Point. If you are actually able to get in, I would not pass on the opportunity. 27 years old when your commitment would end is extremely young. You will learn things through that experience that will benefit you for the rest of your life.

7. BlasttheCloset

From your Out Status, it seems like you would be able to try it, without worrying about them getting tipped off somehow, but it is a big thing to hide your sexuality for that long. Of course, only you can decide what to do, but West Point is an excellent school, very rigorous, and if you are qualified to get in there, you are probably qualified for admission and scholarships many other places, which might be better if you want to be able to come out at some point.