1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to find that happy medium

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 71390S, Sep 24, 2009.

1. 71390S

71390S Guest

So for an internship I'm taking a month long training to be a sexual assault and rape counselor. Basically I will answer a 24/7 rape hotline and go down to the hospital to assist the rape victim and make sure they know their rights/options, and support them in their decisions (when it comes to prosecution, abortion, etc).

Anyways, the training has already been very intense. Ritual rape involving children is the most common in the county where I live. An example of this are "day care" providers telling kids that they are going to "visit the moon" and once they are "on the moon" they molest the kids. Then when the kids are telling CPS they were touched on the moon, people think they just have overactive imaginations. Yeah, sick stuff. I know I can "handle it" I just want to know if anyone else has done stuff like this, and how did you separate it so that 1). It doesn't drive you nuts/depressed/angry all the time 2). You don't grow detached and cold from this type of work.

thank you! I have already noticed it's making me edgy.

2. shorty

Had to reply to this one, after initially typing out a response, then deleting it, then watching something on telly to make me check to see if someone else had. Basically, I don't think I have the mental fortitude to do such a job. I'm pretty sure it would drive me to depression. Even though I love helping people, I kindof feel at a loss when I can't and awkward when I just can't figure out what the hell to say to try and help them to get through it. (though I guess training is there for that)

But, even though I cannot help in responding on how to try and deal with the issues you are facing, one thing that you can be certain of, is that the world needs a whole heap more people like you. Its the volunteers, nurses, hotline workers, homeless shelter operators and basically anyone that has the heart enough to possibly have to deal with damage to theirs, that help people get through the darkest days of their lives.

Totally understand if you couldn't continue to do it, and I hope you find some way to actually do so, but yay for you to actually even think about it. Hope you help many people get through horrible experiences. (*hug*)

3. AgentS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You first have to take a step back. You don't know any of these people, and you're not going to become their best friends. Yes what happened to them is awful, but it happens nonetheless. It is a simple fact of life. You are there to help them. Some of the things you encounter are going to mess with your head and you are going to have a hard time dealing with them. Work through it. If one day you find yourself having a breakdown over something that happened, don't feel bad. Most people probably can't relate to the things you will hear. However, the best thing you can do is talk to someone about what you are feeling. The worst thing you can do is bottle your emotions up. If you do the latter, you will eventually snap or become disillusioned with your work.

Figure out a way to seperate this work from your personal life. At some points the two may intertwine, but to keep yourself from going crazy or losing perspective you need to try to keep them seperate. None of your family/friends are responsible for the crimes you hear. None of the people you encounter at work are responsible for problems in your personal/social life. Work stays at work. And problems at home stay at home.

Do your best to keep stress levels down and keep yourself feeling enegized. The simplest way to do this is probably exercise. It works so many wonders for the body and mind. It's amazing. Hang out with friends, a strong social network helps any type of dark situation and makes good days that much more enjoyable. Find things you like to do and do them.

What you are doing is important and people are grateful for it. Good work.