1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having an Open friend..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RaeofLite, Sep 24, 2009.

1. RaeofLite

I have this guy friend who's really open. By open, I mean, no topic is off limits. Even if he's just met a person and he's talking to me about something serious (even my sex/dating life), he'll continue etc and these new friends or people we meet will sit down nearby.

...This is on campus where I'm in post secondary. >< Ok, I'm out and I know I should be comfortable and be more open about who I am. But to be honest, I feel a bit discouraged because if we're talking about this openly about people I've just met (and he keeps telling people) that I'm gay etc. Most people now a days, even in modern society would not talk about this the first time they meet someone. Obviously...

So I feel in a way that I might have potential friends ditch me before they get to know me as a person, not an orientation poster child... ><

I'm not sure how I should deal with this, other than tell him to shut up on occasion. Help? Advice?

2. Nick

If I were you, I would tell your open friend that he can tell anyone else all that he wants to about himself, but you would like to tell people about yourself.

If that doesn't make sense, maybe this will:
    You buy your clothes so you can wear them, not so he can wear them.

Because he's a friend and not someone who is trying to bring you down or stop you from making new friends, then hopefully he will understand, pull back and let people find out about you gradually, instead of all at once.
    (*hug*)