1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Mum was so happy about it... but now...?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mugwump, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Mugwump

When I first told my Mum I was gay about a month ago, she was really happy and excited that I had told her. But lately she has been much more quiet about things. If I mention anything to her that relates to being gay, she just seems unhappy, and doesn't say much. I was wondering why, and asked her about it. She kept saying everything was fine. Then last night she said that she hoped I wasn't being brainwashed. I was upset by that because it took me so long to start feeling comfortable about being gay, and she made me feel doubtful again. I told her it came from me, and I was not brainwashed.

Anyway, this morning she told me that she had actually told my step-father a few weeks ago without telling me. So I have been around him and he has known, but I was not aware. He was apparently not happy about it at all. And he said that a gay family friend had been brainwashing me. Mum and I were going for lunch with this person tomorrow, but now she is not going because he doesn't want her to and she feels uncomfortable.

I just don't feel so good about it all now. Not really asking any questions... just reflecting online :slight_smile: BUT I did go to a lesbian club the other night, and may I just say OMG I AM SO GAY!!! It completely erased all remaining doubts that I had :grin:

2. Astaroth

I would recommend getting your parents literature with an informed opinion on what it means to be gay. PFLAG puts out several easy-to-read brochures that explain it and debunk a majority of the big myths. One of them is that gay people 'recruit' others to become gay (aka brainwashing). It's just something you'll need to explain to them is simply not true at all. Ask them if they've ever been approached to join the gay club. Ask them what sort of brainwashing would make them want to have same-sex attractions. And then prove that they were wrong with your actions. By giving them the tools to find the real answers and then just living your life normally, they'll eventually come to a realization that this is not the work of some amazing mentalist, nor is it a choice you made.

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  4. Mugwump

Ah, thanks guys! That info is handy to have. And I like the idea of asking them what amout of brainwashing it would take for them to turn gay. It's a good point.