1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School stuff. Not that important but it's bothering me.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Eccentric, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Eccentric

It took me a while to post this because I was going through phases of "Oh, of course you should get out! Isn't it obvious? You don't need to post a thread, you already know what to do!" and "That's ridiculous! Don't get out! Isn't it obvious? You don't need to post a thread, you already know what to do!"

I'm a sophomore in high school. Last year me and a couple other freshmen in my english class, we did UIL literary criticism (academic contest) with our english teacher. She was also in charge of the school's NEHS club (National English Honor Society). We were sort of halfway part of the club but not officially. I mean, we went to only one of the meetings and we went on a field trip with the NEHS.

And now this year I'm in the NEHS (for reals) with the other freshmen who did UIL with me plus all the upperclassmen. It's still the beginning of the year, so we haven't paid dues or done induction or anything yet. But so far I am not enjoying it. We've been talking about doing fundraisers, poetry slams, interviewing people to write a book, going to a poetry festival, community service hours, $45 dollars in dues, none of this interests me. I don't really want to do any of this. I haven't really been looking forward to the meetings. But my friends (and old teacher) would NEVER let me get out. I mean, they wouldn't drag me with them, but they'd be all, "Andy! You can't quit! You just can't. It just isn't an option."

I know that I should be getting into more clubs and meeting new people, especially because I'm pretty shy and leaning towards the antisocial side and so many of my friends I don't have classes with anymore. I just don't know how to deal with this.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It can be difficult, but try to be honest and maybe just say, "I really appreciate you wanting me to be part of the club but I really don't see myself being part of it." There is 'no point' in being part of a club or an activity that you do not enjoy. Maybe try finding another club that you find more interesting and know you are going to enjoy being part of it, and make that part of your answer too. I think being honest with friends and the teacher for that matter is always better than 'pretending' that everything is hunky dory when it is not.

Alternatively, is there something that would interest you in conjunction with the NEHS? Maybe think how you could make it interesting for yourself and propose to do some of those activities?

But in the end, do what you feel is going to be best for you!

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I'd ask you to prod a bit further before suggesting either way. Is there something specific about their planned activities that you don't like? Are you thinking "Well, I was hoping we'd be doing X Y and Z this year, but looking at what they have planned instead, none of it interests me"? Are there other clubs or groups at your school (or outside your school) that are piquing your interest? Or are you simply not really feeling much interest in anything?

Lex

4. Eccentric

Lex, what was I hoping it'd be? Hmm. I don't really know. I don't think I was specifically expecting anything really. Just go with the flow, see how it goes. It's more of a general feeling of disinterest in NEHS. And I'm pretty sure it's not a loss of interest with everything. I'm also in French club and if science club starts again I'll be joining that again as well.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So you're cool with those two? French club still interesting, and hoping for science club?

I ask because I wasn't sure if this was general ennui - "everything's boring and life sucks" - or just disinterest in this particular club. Your answers suggest it's the latter. And if so, I'd just bow out. Tel them you've tried giving it a go for awhile, but you're simply not feeling any interest. So you'd like to back out and concentrate on the things that ARE interesting you.

Lex