1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idiot friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Pseudojim, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello all!

I first posted here about a month ago, at that point I hadn't told any of my friends that i'm bisexual, but i've been coming out slowly since then and almost all reactions have been positive and supportive. I have some problems though.

#1. I have one really self-centred friend (it's a fault we forgive him, he's still charismatic) whom i've known for many years. He was fine with it if a little confused, but he's not the type to be bigoted or prejudiced. However, last night we were out watching football with some mates, he got very drunk because he came within a whisker of winning $1,200 on a bet, we were running out of money and went back to his place to continue drinking, whereupon he all of a sudden was demanding hugs and cuddles and all manner of inappropriate things, humiliating me in front of friends. I'm fucking angry at him for his stupid behaviour, basically treating me like a completely different entity when he said it made no difference to him. How the fuck do you deal with stupid crap like this? I felt like an object.

#2. I have a very nice friend who i know happens to be homophobic. Possibly due to tendencies of his own he is in denial about. How does one broach the subject? It WILL get around to him in time whether i tell him or someone else does. Do i let it get to him first, or confront him with it myself?

#3. I have a friend from WAY way back, who i found out was gay and had had an enormous crush on me for many years, but assumed that i was straight. He has come out of the closet to pretty much everyone but me... he's never told me himself. He's a great guy and we get along like a house on fire, but I don't like him in that way at all, and i am afraid of hurting his feelings if the news gets to him and his hopes are raised, only to be dashed all over again... he has not exactly been all that lucky in love. Would it be cruel to let the news get to him via the natural course?

2. Jay D

Right, your first friend needs talking to. Tell him to cut the crap or you'll stop being mates with him. Tough, but necessary. Second friend, just tell him you aren't gonna hit on him so it's ok. 3rd friend .... if you like him back, then give it a go. Tell him yourself, though.

3. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yeah it probably won't sink in, he's amazingly self centred. we'll see though. i've blown up at him before, and he took it on board that time.

as for 'giving it a go', i think you might've got the wrong message from that paragraph. i really don't want to. no offence to the guy but he's really not even remotely close to my type.

4. Jay D

my bad!! oh well, just tell him but emphasise that you don't fancy him. Try blowing up at your arrogant friend ... it may work.

5. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No worries. And yeah i think i will.

I tried to send you a private message just now but it won't let me... Thanks for the friend request nonetheless.

6. Jay D

that's cos you aren't a full member. xD write on my wall instead lol. (!)(!)(!)

7. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, i got a message when i first signed up with the helpful advice "Just fill in the short application form and submit it to us."

WHAT short application form? I've scoured the site, i can't find any application form.

8. Enzian

The application takes the form of a subforum called something like 'Regular to Full Member Upgrade Request'. Seems a slightly odd way of doing it but there it is.

9. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, i found a link to it in the faq. I haven't posted enough so far apparently, since i've not yet topped 50 posts... which seems a little bit discriminatory against those of us who don't post so prolifically, but i've made the request all the same.