1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Age Differences

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Shebbs, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Shebbs

I was just wondering everyones opinion on age differences.

There is this person I have been talking to for a while, and he likes me, and asked me out, and stuff.
    The thing is, he's 23.. and I am 17.

What do you think I should do?
    Would you go with it?
    Is it completely off limits?

2. littledinosaurs

3. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

In my opinion twenty three is pushing it when you're seventeen but its not too old really, its close to too old but it isn't. One more year and I would think its too old but that's fine. That's just my opinion though

4. jp xch

jp xch Guest

Ahhh I dont really think its that big of a deal. I mean its just 6 years. It depends who you ask thought. 'Cause people tend to think differently.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think one of the more important thing here is as to whether you feel comfortable. If you feel comfortable on going out on a date with him, by all means go for it. Going out on a 'harmless' date, should be okay.

Maybe ask yourself...is there stuff we can talk about? Are there some commonalities on which a conversation could be built upon. Often times, age differences can become an issue because of the different stages in life at which you both are at. Take it slow, and maybe try to build a friendship first. See how your first date goes and take it from there.

6. NickT

XKCD has solved this dilemma!

Don't date under: (Age / 2) + 7
    Don't date over: (Age - 7) * 2

7. Eleanor Rigby

In my opinion, it's not really a problem as long as you are both comfortable with it.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends a lot on stages of development. If you're a mature 17 year old and he's an average 23 year old, it could probably work. If he's extremely mature for his age, and you're average, it could be more problematic. The biggest issue is the level of balance and control in the relationship. If you are equals, then it's healthy. If he is making most of the decisions and you are sort of the more dependent type, not so healthy.

Start slow, see how it works, and constantly step back and look at the relationship. If there's an equal amount of give-and-take, if you support him as much as he supports you, then it's a balanced and healthy relationship. If you find that isn't the case, you may want to rethink things to ensure that you continue to grow and mature emotionally.

9. Corny

Corny Guest

At age 19 I had a relationship with a 6 years older guy - 5 years later I had a relationship with a 6 years younger guy. Both unfortunately didn't last - but the reason was definitely not the age difference.
    As someone already said it is more about maturity. There are other factors that come into play .. such as outlook on life in general and past life experience. But at your age - I don't think those would be a major factor.
    So if you both feel good with it - go for it. Just be careful in case if there are any law restrictions for your "interaction" (don't know Canadian law) :wink: