1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suicidal thoughts: Is life worth living?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by warrior, Sep 30, 2009.

1. warrior

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Is life worth living?
    Is suicide the solution?

As a child, I have always appreciated life, and wanted to live it to the fullest. For me, life was the most magnificent creation of Nature, the most beautiful gift endowed to the human race. I was completely satisfied with whatever I have gotten – be it my family, my few but true friends, my house or my school. The sight of a flower blooming or a bird flying away could have made me smile.

That was years ago, though.

My life, and most importantly, my view of/on life had changed dramatically. I can no longer laugh at the sight of the moon coming out of the clouds, or jump under the sky to surrender myself under the rain. I can no longer enjoy what I used to enjoy, sing what I used to sing, love what I used to love. Life had just run away and left in its place an empty void.

As if that was not enough – the turning of an enthusiastic child to an apathetic one – these days, I have started having suicidal thoughts. No matter how hard I try to drive them away from me, they keep swimming around my head like plagues, crashing and trashing every single good thoughts out of me, making me fill with dread and apathy for the world, and nothing but.

The sight of the ocean no longer evokes the emotion and thrill of playing in it, as much as it evokes the thought of drowning myself under it, under the heavy currents that would drown all my sorrows and despair with it. The sight of the town from a tall building no longer awes me with a deep admiration for Nature, as much as it gives me a chance to end my life – to fall from it like a wingless, just-shot bird. The knife is no more a tool to cut the apples; it is a mean to shed blood. So is the razor. Everything had just developed a sinister meaning.

I still have the scratch marks on my skin, where I had once stabbed myself with our kitchen knife. Unconsciously. Without realizing it’s impact. That I would soon loose my courage to hold anymore sharp object, in the fear that I succeed in doing what my mind wants and don’t want at the same time – ending my life.

I don’t want to die and end everything that is there – even if it means misery and struggle. I want to live and feel the scent of the roses in the breezes. To see the civilization of humanity unfold before my eyes. To be alive and robust.

Why is it, that despite my strong urge to live, to be with everyone around, I still have suicidal thoughts? How do I remove them from my mind and live the life that I deserve to live?

Any comments, suggestions, advice, etc would be appreciated.

(Excuse my overtly-hyped, melodramatic tone; wrote this slowly, and the breeze is flowing all over me :wink:. And yes, I am feeling a lot better now).

#1 warrior, Sep 30, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  2. Eleanor Rigby

I am sorry you had to deal with suicidal thoughts (*hug*)
    But there is a bright side in what you wrote : it's that you want to live. You want to find back your happiness and from what you said, I'm sure you know that whatever your issues might be, ending your life is not the answer.
    That's already a big step you have done for yourself, realizing that even if the painful thoughts are there, what you really want is not to die, but to live.
    Now, you probably might use some help to get through this difficult time you're having.
    It would be great if you could manage to see a therapist. I have been depressed and suicidal for a long while, I had moments when I was feeling better and but they usualy precede moments where I sank even deeper. I only manage to get through this with the help of a therapist. There is nothing wrong with asking for help.
    Writting about how you feel might help you too, as you seem to have discover with this post. Don't hesitate to express your feelings this way or in any other way you are comfortable with.
    If you ever want to talk about this, or about anything, you are very welcome to contact me anytime you want. You'll always be welcome.
    I hope you'll feel better soon. Don't give up. (*hug*) Eleanor

3. Jay D

Oh, mate, we've all been there and it's never a nice place. I'm so so sorry you had to go through it, it must have really hurt. I'm only just coming out of that phase, and it's a long and difficult road to go through. I can only say that once you're out of that phase, it's a great feeling. It's good that you want to get back your former self, and I thoroughly encourage that. Keep trying, you'll get there. Remember you are never alone.

4. ChokiE

I understand what you're feeling, I go through it every day. I wish I had some "fix it now" advice for you but I don't think such a thing exists. All I can say is life is far too beautiful a gift to just toss aside like a used napkin at a trashy taco bell. Just think about it, think about all you'd miss out on, all the happiness you would never experience if you just threw it all away. Sure, the bad would be gone too but are you willing to pay such a high price? I'd recommend you get into counseling, it might just be able to help you overcome this. I wish you the best.

5. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The hardest thing to do in this world is to live in it.

6. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    ummm how old are you??

What's your problems...

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most people, most of the time, don't have to find a reason to go on. Living is quite often its own reward. If you're at a point where this isn't the case, not just occasionally but often, it's time to bring in some outside help. And yes, that means a therapist or counselor. If you're in school, your school counselor can be a good starting point. If you're not, do some nosing around for one - there are usually plenty of low-cost options if money is an issue.

I've been down that road twice, and it isn't pleasant. But getting to other side makes everything totally worth it. :slight_smile:

Lex

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! First off: (*hug*)

YES! ABSOLUTELY!

NO! NEVER!

You can get back to appreciating life and living your life to its fullest. As Lex mentioned, a good place to start would be a counselor, either at school or in your community. I know that sometimes it can be difficult to open up and make that first step towards seeking help and trying to turn things around, but please do. Seeking help, will help you to get to the bottom of things and what causes you to have suicidal thoughts, even though you know that suicide is not the answer.

I think you have identified one important thing. You want to live. That will help you to start turning the page sooner and quicker. Having the want to live will help you to go back to the joy you once had in your life.

Finding answers to 'why did my life run away and left an empty void in its place' and 'why my view on my life changed' will help you to start turning things around. Finding answers to these questions might will allow you to start turning things around. Finding answers to these questions might help you to start filling some of your empty void. Life sometimes just happens (involving the good and the not so good things). Sometimes, we don't realize that life just took over and things don't seem to be heading the right direction anymore. But you can change all of that again.

Feelings and thoughts (in particular negative ones, and the ones that are associated with things that haven't gone too well in our lives or in our past) tend to feed on themselves and allow us to slip into a cycle and a place that makes it hard for us to make sense of things and get out of again. But if you seek help, and if you start talking about things, and put the puzzle pieces together you will find a way to get out that cycle.

Life often throws obstacles in our ways and creates detours for which we might not be ready for. Life is full of surprises. But you know what? Once you have overcome the obstacles and gone through the detours, you are going to be a lot stronger. There is going to be a day when you are going to turn around and think: "wow, I came through all of that. I have made it."

Believe in yourself. Start believing that things can get better again. Please seek some help. Things will get better again. (*hug*)

9. twixy30

wow, im so sorry you are going through this. there not much i can say everyone has said it so well. you are a special person and sometimes life hits so hard. i never thought of killing myself until this year only because life hit me hard and i did not want to deal with it, i wanted to just run away. i still am being hit from it and i just have to keep saying that its going to get better. there is a light at the end of the tunnel. so hang in there we are all here for you. if you ever want to just vent or talk im here look me. keep your head up and things will get better

10. warrior

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you all for the help and support. I will come back with my reply when I get time. :slight_smile:

11. destori

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thats something important to remember.
    Support.

There is always, there will always be someone to help.
    Don't think there isn't. For these people can restore your faith in humanity, they really can.

12. s5m1

You are right – life can really suck sometimes. There are times in our lives when nothing feels good anymore. Everything we try goes wrong; it feels as if we are alone, with no one to turn to; we can’t see any solutions to the problems we face, whether they are school, family, money, work, etc. I was there many times.

I remember feeling like life was not worth living. I could not see any way out from my problems. Suicide seemed like it might be a good solution.

There was one big problem with that solution – life’s problems are temporary; suicide is not. While you may not see the solutions to your problems now, they are out there. Life is so long and changes so much over the years. What seems so bad one day will later seem a minor bump in the road. With suicide, you throw away all chance at future happiness.

Today, I was driving down the road and passed a truck full of burial vaults (big cement boxes that hold caskets underground). As I was driving, I thought about that if I had killed myself, I would be in one of those now, gone forever, instead of enjoying a beautiful fall day. Had I ended things, I would have missed the love I feel for my boyfriend. I would never have experienced the joys of all that has come my way in the years since that time.

Sometimes, we cannot cope with what we are facing in life without some help. I couldn’t. Nonetheless, it took me years until I hit absolute rock bottom before I was willing to see a therapist. She helped me in so many ways. She taught me how to view the world and my problems differently, to find solutions that I could not previously see. And, when I could not yet solve a problem, she taught me how to cope with the problem and not allow it to destroy my life.

There is another life that you can live, one filled with happiness, beauty and love. Don’t choose to end your life forever, over what are actually temporary problems. Find the strength within to get to a therapist. If you are in school, talk to your school counselor. Tell your parents. If you are in college, go to the campus counseling center. They all have them, in one form or another. Call a suicide prevention line and get a referral to a community based therapist who can assist you for little or no cost. There are so many options for finding help.

Don’t give up. Life can be so wonderful, once you get through this tough period.

13. Nixon

wow good luck id

suicide is never the answer

14. baklangpinoy26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i would say suicide isnt the answer, i got depressed a few months back and tried killing myself a few times, like i was standing in the bathtub and threw a plugged in radio in, obviously that didnt work, but then i realized the burden it would have on my family, namely my mother, cuz she doesnt deserve to be put thru that ordeal, shes dealt with enough of them already, so i realized i was really just being selfish and didnt think of the impact it would have had on my family, so i decided not to go thru with any of it

15. broadway26

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    "You have to go through some sadness, to feel happy." This is a quote I live by, you should always remember it will get better, so don't give up. You deserve to live, someone on this planet loves you and will miss you terribly if you leave voluntarily. Fighting through this is a tough battle. I know, I've been there, you just need to have the courage to think positively. You have to make a decision in your life to make it bitter or better. Virtual Hugs (*hug*), I hope you find this helpful, good luck and keep on fighting! Love you ( it gets so much better) (&&&)

16. csocm

I know how you are feeling, last year my thoughts were much darker. I never actually did injure myself but i did think about it. It is great that you dont want to die and you want to live.

I tried to find things that did make me happy. That took a while, I used to watch the sitcom FRIENDS before i became depressed but that didnt help my depression. The show Glee was actually what kept me from killing myself. I pretty much fell in love with Brittany and so every week I would want to know if Brittany would get a solo or a plot line, so that kept me going from week to week until I was pretty much over everything.

I also wrote a lot. I am dreadful with words so writing is what helps me get out all of the feelings that i have built up.

Another good thing is that you are telling people you are depressed, just by starting a thread like this, you are able to get support. I never told anyone about my depression until after i got out of it, and i really regret it.

I hope this helps.

17. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have a very nice flow with wording and imagery. Have you thought of writing? Maybe all you need is an outlet.

18. retiredchicken

I agree with Fugs, perhaps you could use an outlet. Something you know you're good at doing. Perhaps even just a good distraction to build up a bit of strength to think more clearly again. Believe it or not, you should get to know your own mind and how it works, and love it and nurture it like a child's innocent mind. Become your own parent if you will. This is a good coping process that worked for me, and it helped me to love myself and believed that my suffering was only a sign of strength.

It's so good that you want to live, even though it feels like nothing meaningful is coming from it. But there is always a reason to live. Sometimes it's all around you, but you don't notice it because you're clouded by your thoughts. If you can accept that your mind is holding you back, trust that there is always something there for you waiting. Just be patient. Life is beautiful.

What I used to do when I just had to escape, was to take random nodes of public transport that I usually never take, and let them take me away to whereever they wanted. I once took an 1.5 hr train to the end of the line at the other side of my city, strolled around the neighbourhood for about half an hour, took a bus to the adjacent suburb and went shopping for dinner, and the train station was fortunately close by so I took that all the way back home afterwards. What worked for me is the sight of all these faces I've never seen before, and the air felt different because it was a different community. Landmarks were different. Even advertising had subtlely different approaches. It was just plain refreshing, and perhaps you might benefit from that too if you see these things like I do.