1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ways to meet people

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Fiender, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Fiender

I'm trying to start dating people but I'm having a hell of a time even MEETING anyone interested. I tried craigslist but the moment you're looking for anything more than a hookup, you're out of luck. I don't live near any clubs and I can't drive anywhere (like a club or something) and I'm out of ideas.

2. ChokiE

Myspace?

3. Fiender

Like, do they have a dating section at myspace or something?

4. ChokiE

I just search my area for gay guys.

5. Fiender

...and then what?

6. ChokiE

...Send them friend requests? Jesus Christ I dunno, use your imagination, yeesh...

7. Fiender

Come on, I mean what, am I just supposed to send the person a friend request and then ask them out? lol, I was just curious as to how I go about it.

8. ChokiE

Just tell someone they're hot. Guaranteed to get you laid.

9. notquitebutch

Well he said he didn't want to just get laid, since if he did, he would have stopped at craigslist.

On myspace, friend some gay guys and just start chatting. Not asking them out, just...chatting. Become friends. You'll probably find a guy that way.

By clubs do you mean out of school? If so, join GSA in school. That's a really, really good place to start.

10. ChokiE

Wow, I feel like an ass now. I completely forgot.

11. Fiender

K, I'll try.
    lol, I'm out of school. And I was the only out gay guy anyway :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Greggers

Searing your local area with the word "Gay" or "LGBT" after it on google.

If you get no results, Search a broader area until you find something.

Its almost impossible in any non-rural areas of the civilized world to not have some form of an LGBT group thing within a reasonable driving distance. Gay people are everywhere and in good numbers, these groups pop up everywhere.

13. JT

JT

I understand your not being able to drive predicament. But, I don't live far from you. You're not that far from albany, and there's a few clubs in that area.

As far as meeting people over social networks... Have you ever thought about how nice it is as a teenager to hear that another person is gay, just like you? Meant a lot to me, at least.

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No offense, but it sounds a little like you want "meet someone interesting" but don't want to do any of the work necessary to meet interesting people.

Myspace is full of profiles, some of which people have spent a lot of time and energy describing who they are, what they're interested in, the sorts of things they like to do for fun.

Make a nice profile for yourself. Doesn't have to be fancy, but spend some time describing who you are, your favorite bands, movies, books, TV shows, etc, things you like to do.

Then browse other people's profiles and find people who sound interesting and have some compatible interests. Send them an email talking a little bit about who you are, and the interests you share with the person's profile. Always be sure to ask them questions about themselves or their hobbies or interests so they will have a reason to message you back.

And... if you find someone you enjoy talking to, then you can make plans to talk further, to meet up (always in a public place, preferably with a friend present, and preferably after getting some proof that they are who they say they are) and see where it leads.

It always requires work to meet new people, but the quality of people you meet on places like Facebook or Myspace will almost without exception be better than people you'll meet in a bar or club.

btw, I would not waste time on Craigslist; it is almost 100% a hookup site. Unless, of course, that's what you're looking for :slight_smile:

15. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  16. Fiender

Well, I don't know any gay teenagers to talk to in person, lol.

Haha, Im done hooking up. Ive experimented with everything I wanted to, now its time to fall in love :icon_redf I'm willing to send message, be outgoing and start chatting with people, lol. Just hard to find someone to chat WITH.

I might try that site :icon_bigg

17. AgentS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have pondered adding gay people in my area. I don't know any of them and I wonder if friending people I don't know is creepy. Maybe I am just making excuses.

18. GoBabyGoGo

hey does anyone know if there is a way to search for gays in your area on facebook rather than myspace?? sorry im a facebook noob and i dont have myspace...

im in like the exact same position except i havent even got hookups haha... but im not really looking for that, i want a boyfriend! its really frustrating, ive searched and seached and there is NOTHING remotely close to me.