1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just want opinions

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by malachite, Oct 1, 2009.

1. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I was watching Family Guy with a friend, the multi-verse episode.

At the start of the show Chris wins a gay man as a prize from the ball toss.
    When he asks: "Can I keep him?"
    Lois a says: "You have to care and feed him"

Chris: "What do you eat?"
    Gay Man: "Attention!"
    Chris: "I like your hair"
    Gay Man: "OH, more more!"

So, my friend gets pissed and says that's not funny. I didn't have a problem with it, Seth McFarland pokes fun at everyone.

So I just want your opinions, pissed or just a joke?

2. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find that pretty funny, actually. Especially since it is obviously not meant to hurt people. If anything, it's more poking fun at the stereotype than at gay people.

3. shorty

I think its hilarious, I can actually mentally recall the voice of the gay dude too! The episode where they gave Peter the gay gene is about the funniest one I have ever seen. Totally rips on the stereotype. I love the fact that Stewy is gay as well. Great show.

4. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was only a joke, not meant to piss anyone off or hurt anybody's feelings or any of that. Comedy isn't for everybody; some people are too sensitive to laugh at themselves. I personally don't find it funny, but I'm not at all offended by jokes like these either. I'm not about to get all bent out of shape or offended just because a joke doesn't make me laugh.

5. Ben

Ben

I think what things like this (and movies like Bruno) do is highlight the absurdity of gay stereotypes and debunk them. Though it's not difficult to understand how this could be offensive.

6. shorty

Heh, unbelievably, the usual family guy/american dad double was just on here, and the American dad episode was "Daddy Queerest" And it was actually pretty pro gay. I am not quite the fan of American Dad that I am of Family Guy, but it was a really good episode. I think Seth McFarlane was sending me a quiet message. He doesn't mind gay people.

7. Gaetan

I've seen that episode of American Dad. It really wasn't at all offensive at all. It was, actually, a great and well done episode.

I really thing it boils down to the fact that McFarlane is not really opposed to anyone. Specifically, nobody is free from his ridicule--but he doesn't do it maliciously.

8. Just Adam

tahts why i like his work its a total parody of life taking things with a pinch of salt, jsut have a laugh at everything its all a bit of fun he dont care who or what you are you are who you are thats life...move on :slight_smile: if you cant laugh at yourself about things then meh :S

i allways keep remembering jasper and stewie doign the music and jasper going oh why did you stop... and the fudge in teh brownies ...so many nuts ...its just humour playing of teh parodys and stereotypes of people...

like my total fav character roger...hes such a gay parody its impossible to not laugh at him...

i think we can tell when somebody is tryign to be offensive and somebody will allways find this sort fo thing crossing the line but unless it is spreading hate or intolelrance then i say let it run have a laugh and have faith in peopels intelligence

9. Definitely just a joke.

Family Guy is actually pretty friendly to the gay community. They even did a whole episode with Brian trying to legalize gay marriage for his cousin.

I mean, if that homosexual prize joke was really in poor taste, just imagine what the Jewish community must be thinking about Mort getting beat to death in the Disney universe. I'm not even religious, and even I was saying, "Oh damn!"

10. AgentS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That episode was HILARIOUS!!!! A joke is a joke. I don't think people should be offended by them, unless the joke is being made to deliberately hurt someone, then you should be mad because someone is trying to upset you, not because they told a joke.

11. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I'm glad I wasn't the only on this page.

Thanx all, I was worried my anger button might be broken.

12. notquitebutch

It's totally cool with me.

Normally, I'd be P.Oed, but you need to consider these two things;

1.) It's family guy. They make fun of everyone.
    2.) Seth McFarlane is a bit of a gay rights activist. I really love the guy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3pExZs9IJA[/youtube]
    I'm so straight for him. That voiiiice oh my god.

I'm almost 100% sure that was all Seth. He's said Brian is really the character that portrays him, and I know he also has a gay cousin. If I'm right, that's such a nice tribute to him ; 3;

#12 notquitebutch, Oct 2, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  13. XD That's funny. Family Guy makes fun of everybody, so I don't take anything personally. Really, the only episode that ever offended me was the one in which they made fun of Ronald Reagan for having Alzheimer's. I thought that was going a bit far.

14. guacj

I think that some people can be overly paranoid that people are discriminating them. I don't think that this is bad, actually is kinda funny.

15. notquitebutch

Oh, something else interesting I forgot to add to my post; they have a lot of gay staff, and they usually run the jokes by them to make sure they're not too offensive, which is pretty cool.

16. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Chris: "What do you eat?"
    Gay Man: "Attention!"
    Chris: "I like your hair"
    Gay Man: "OH, more more!"

Lol i just realised what that meant haha

17. KeithJ108

I think it's funny. Family guy has also made jokes at the expense of people in wheelchairs too, I don't take offence at that either.

18. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, it totally depends on the source. If you're a fan of a person, or a show, you'll be far willing to consider jabs at homosexuality to be "just a joke". If the same joke came from someone you didn't like, or someone you considered homophobic, my guess is you'd be a lot less prone to consider it funny.

Lex