1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out is my last option?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by notquitebutch, Oct 1, 2009.

1. notquitebutch

Okay, copied from my LJ, but it works here. I need some advice, guys. Do I keep lying, or do I have to come out? I'm living with my aunt now while my house is being built, so this would mean coming out to my Aunt and Uncle, IN ADDITION to my Mom and Brother, which I'm struggling enough with. (Mom and brother are not living with me right now)

Before I moved here, I had everything planned out for this town... I wasn't going to deny being gay, I was going to join gsa and meet people, and eventually, I'd get a car and drive to support groups. (I'm obsessed, I know, but I really love this stuff.)

While the first part of that is harder than I thought (though I did tell one new friend! I'm proud, I initially denied it but then I just... made myself do it and it's much better.) the other two things are happening WAY faster than I anticipated. I've been to 2 GSA meetings already which are VERY active. The people there are SO cool, and I've been getting along great with them. A few of us hung out for like 3 hours after the meeting today, it rocked. And if that wasn't enough, in the meeting, one boy asked me if I wanted to come to a support group later at night, and I was liek YES YES YES. So, he brought me, we talked a lot in the car, we got wawa, I met some really cool kids at the group, and I'm just so happy. Everything's working out perfectly.

Well, not everything; I'm lying to my family... I'm not telling them about GSA or the group I went to, and this is going to become a problem very soon. I got away with it today because I played it off as OMG I'm making friends this is spontanteous ill ttyl! But, they want to know who the people are and where I'm going next time, and I don't think "walking around town" is going to really fly. That's the only thing that's keeping me from being fully :grin:. I'm going to have to figure that out, and soon, because I REALLY want to keep going. I'm not sneaking off and doing bad things.... it's really the opposite, but I just feel like it will be taken badly. Idunno.

Any advice would be awesome D: I have a week to figure this out.

2. Um... Is it possible to tell your mom and brother and not your aunt and uncle? (or the other way around, Im tired and confused on who you want to know and who you don't) If you feel ready to tell them, then go for it! And if you haven't already, ask some of your GSA friends for advice; they'll probably have some good stuff since they've been coming to the meetings as well. And good luck :slight_smile:

3. notquitebutch

Nope :/ My aunt needs to know since I live with her now, and she gets nervous about me being out (her kids are 9 and 5, so she's never had to deal with teenage life lol) and my mom keeps in constant contact, and I really need her permission to do anything.

4. Hm. Well are they accepting? And do you want them to know or do you just feel like you have to tell them? How do you think they would respond?

5. notquitebutch

I'm not sure :frowning2: I've gotten responses from my mom about gay people that are all over the place... she said (about my gay male friend who's mom would be PISSED if she found out) Oh that's horrible! They're born that way, you can't change that! But, she also said my dad's family is, and I quote, INFESTED with lesbians and she told me not to buy a shirt once or I'd look like a lesbian.

My brother's 13 and we have a great relationship, and he seems pretty tolerant about it. I think he'd be fine, but again, he's 13, so not the ideal person to go to since it doesn't matter much authority wise lol.

My Aunt and Uncle, I have no idea. x__x;

My friend suggested I tell them it's a youth group! I think that's a great idea, so I can stay closeted, and maybe be able to keep going to the group and figure out how to come out if i ever do it.

6. JoeG

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey, i no this sounds cliche but it's who u trust that counts, may be tell ur bro last, u don't want thim black mailing u for some stupid reason, (mine would) and ive only really started telling peeps.

Jus say ur goin round to some mates house for a bit.
    May be invite them (ur friends from the club) round to chill, have a meal wot ever, tell ur friends not to say anything about the club, let ur aunt and uncle see that they are coool peolp and really not 'bad' people, cos if u do come out to them and say u are seein them/ one of them it shouldn't change ur aunts or uncles perpective off you or ur friends cos will have already meet them. That way they should be cooler about the whole thing.
    Thats wot i wot do, i think.x