1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling dad about boyfriend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RainInAfrica, Oct 1, 2009.

1. RainInAfrica

Ok, so as some of you may know - I came out to my dad a while ago and he took it really well. But now I don't know if I should let him know about my boyfriend :eusa_doh:

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! If your dad took it really well and is supportive, I think it would be alright to mention that you are seeing someone. By telling him that you are having a boyfriend, you are just sharing another piece of you with him. Maybe bring it up by saying that you are seeing someone, and that you would like to bring him over. Often times, parents will be a lot more at ease once they had a chance to meet the person that you are seeing. Try to introduce it slowly. Although your dad has accepted you and is supportive of you, it is another thing for him to get used to.

Give it some thought.

3. -Michael-

My dad didn't react to well to my coming out.
    But he didn't act tooo badly either.

My first two boyfriends he was really sceptical of, as i didn't let them meet him.
    And i think that unknown part really unsettled him.

But now he's met my current boyfriend, I can't say they're best friends because quite frankly my dad's an arse. But we can talk about it, i can ask for a lift to go to lees and he'll tell his girlfriend that he's 'just dropping michael at his boyfriends'.

I'm sure your dad will be the same.

You can tell him before hand.
    Or just not mention it, and eventually your dad may be like 'You're seeing that boy a lot, are you....'
    My dad's girlfriend does that a lot, if i mentioned a boy she'd be like 'so are you....you know....getting with him'

your dad will either be one of the two

4. werekid

i would wait a while before you tell let that sink in then you can tell him

5. kizza111

awwh if he was supportive about it im sure he will be fine with it but unless you really feell like he should no, dont tell him :slight_smile:

but if u want to im sure he will be fine

6. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I say wait about 2-3 weeks

drop a few hints that you are seeing someone too... get his reaction, if it's fine then do it. But if it's not then wait it out.

7. Alex19

if he can deal with it, tell him. if u wanna give him some more time to soak in the fact that ur bi, thats cool too

8. jp xch

jp xch Guest

If he can deal with you being bi I'm sure he can deal with you having a boyfriend.

9. How long ago did you come out, and how long have you been with your boyfriend? I also say that it depends on what kind of a parent he is. I'm out to my parents, but they're super strict and I think they're under the impression that puberty really hasn't hit me yet and I still think sex is icky. I'm perfectly fine with them thinking that and I've been fine with lying to them about past girlfriends, but I know some people just hate lying to their parents. So I guess what I'm saying here is that he's accepted you coming out, but how does he feel about you having a boy/girlfriend in general, regardless of the gender?

Damnit. This makes so much sense in my head.

EDIT: Okay, just thought of a better way to explain this. For example, my parents are fine with the idea of me being bi (I'm not completely out as gay yet) in theory, but they think i'm too young to be with anyone. Even if I were straight, I think they would frown on my having a boyfriend just because that's the way they view it. So how does your dad feel about that?

#9 xballetxbeautyx, Oct 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2009