1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaydar

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AzThRg0, Aug 4, 2007.

1. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ok I don't have gaydar. This is for those of you who do. How do you tell if a person is gay? I would hate to ask out a hetero. Is there any adive or help you can give me?:bang:

2. Scoz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hey i dont think anyone really has a gaydar . its often hard to tell if someone is gay . some people shout it to the world , some people hide it , and others dont do either . theres no 100% way of knowing . its probably safest to join a social group were you know the people are gay . its hard to find someone at any age but being so young i would suggest a safe youth environment were you know you can say what you want .

3. MissyJ158

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I agree with Scoz, I don't think anyone has a gaydar. Usually people just go off stereotypes anyway. My best friend was extremely proud of her gaydar until I told her I'm bi and her gaydar broke lol. She had no idea. Even people who drop hints about being gay usually aren't (in my area at least) all my girl friends (and guy friends for that matter) flirt with each other but they're all as straight as arrows.

If I had a gaydar it'd make life much easier lol.

4. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    :bang: not :bang: what :bang: I :bang: wanted :bang: to :bang: hear :bang:
    Oh well, I guess I will just have to go with my gut

5. Sam

Sam

my gaydar sucks the only way I know is if they are "stereotypically gay" and even then I'm sometimes wrong and it sucks because its hard to ask people out.

6. MissyJ158

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yeah I'm hoping someone is going to bust in here and proclaim gaydars aren't based off horrible horrible lies too :grin:

7. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    well to be honest a friend of mine suggested something which appears to work most of the time. Basically it's making and keeping eye contact with someone (of the same sex) and those who keep it the longest usually are gay. Interesting aye

8. CrimsonThunder

Hehe I used to think like that as well, but as you grow up you don't just ask out random people. You get to know them first, so you'll know if they're gay or not.

Anyway, I always seem to think everyone is gay so yeah, my wishes work better than reality. You'll find everyone does something thats a bit gay. Like one of my friends always touches me a lot, but hes not gay. Guys can say other guys are hot without being gay. Its just like gay guys can say they think some chicks are hot.

One way which Jamie mentioned is when they look at you for a long time, but they could be just looking at you. Or playing a game with you.

I saw a guy checking out another guy once (he had no shirt off) didn't say I saw it or anything though. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

A guy came into work the other day asking for a job here and he was SURELY gay, he had the 'gay' glasses on and talked like it too. He wasn't bad looking hope he gets a job here. :grin: And theres 2 other guys I have my suspicions on...

9. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ROFL! In a while I'm going to be easy to spot as a gay... My next pair of glasses are going to be D&G. And with the money I get from my job I'm going to go on a clothes shopping spree and completely redo my wardrobe. o(^_^)o
    So yeah. I'm going all gay clothing. xD

10. davo-man

I was gunna make that suggestion too, pretty much i reckon look them in the eye...if they look away then i reckon it means that theyre prob straight, but if they maintain eye contact i reckon they may be gay. That said i have absolutely no proof that that works, but i believe in it

Also someone said a while back (not in this thread) that if a nice looking girl walks in and he checks her out, then hes probably straight

11. MissyJ158

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Problem with that is that if someone breaks eye contact with you it could mean they're into you as well.

My friend went on a "date" (although they didn't call it that) They hadn't told each other they liked each other verbally. But me and the other guys bestie both knew they liked each other. Anyway, they had a point in time where they just looked up at each other and it went silent. After a while my friend looked away and blushed. I pissed myself laughing when she told me that, and she said that when she looked back the guy had a huge grin on his face too. Biggest give away.

Then you get the people who just don't like being stared down. They'll refuse to look away until the other person does, they won't say anything about it but they'll do it.

So unfortunately that tactic has flaws =( lol

12. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    well no tactic is flawless. Just the majority of the time it'll work since a lot of heteros find it hard to keep eye contact for more than a couple of seconds with someone of the same sex that they hardly know.

Granted there are some who don't like to let on that they're in to you... but the sheer fact that you're trying to keep eye contact with them may suggest to them that you are indeed gay and that they may have a chance to approach you.

13. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you. That is what I wanted to hear. That makes perfect sense:eusa_danc :eusa_danc (!) (!)

14. emerald

Okay so I actually have gaydar. And not just as far as stereotypes go. I'm just really good at like guessing who happens to be gay. Like with a lot of my friends they'd tell me about someone they liked and after meeting them I'd say if they were gay or not and I'm yet to be wrong.
    But I think it's less of being able to look at someone as paying attention to how they act.

15. Scoz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like this theory of eye contact , even if it has flaws . I work in retail and ive noticed most people wont hold eye contact with you same sex or not . But ive seen a guy come in a few times and thought he was hot but always to scared to chat with him ( obviously in retail you have to talk but i never chatted if you undersand ). Well tonight i decided stuff it and ill start a conversation and everytime hes been in before he hasnt really looked me in the eyes but tonight he looked me directly in the eyes most of the conversation . I'll also let you know im not obviosly gay (sorry to bring up stereotypes ) and neither is he . So i think there is some truth in the theory . But i think the real thing here is the conversation , you have to allow the fear of someone knowing you are gay fade in getting to know them . I think if a someone isnt anouncing to the world in his action speech dress or whatever ( sorry stereotypes again ) then you do have to talk to them otherwise youll never know .

16. MissyJ158

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm going to go and test this eye contact theory out now. XD I have someone in mind ((a homophobe of course)) *evil laugh* The things I do to amuse myself..

17. Sugar

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Exactly what i was thinking. I joined a group and after that i had a major imporvement in my gaydor and a major rise in confidence so i think it's your best option to meet new gay young ppl.

18. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

My gaydar does need tuning, but sometimes I feel as if I can actually tell if someone is gay, and not just based on stereotypes. I don't know if I'm ever accurate, though. :icon_roll

19. SpikySpice

It's weird sometimes tho, as soem of you gusy said about the eyes contact, it didnt work for me, usually

Sometiems other str8 gusy look at you cuz you look cool, or they like your shoes, shirt, hair, even when you turn around and look at them, in the eyes, they still look at you

Somehow, there are soem misktakes, like when they look at your girls who sit next to you, it's hard to tell who they are looking at , especially from a far distance, like in a courtyard

And sometimes soem gay guys are nervous, they dont want you to look at their eyes, eventho they have crushes on you, maybe cuz your eyes freak them out

To know and find a gay guy is like to search a coin under teh sea sometimes, like some of you gusy said they always hide their orientation, or they are gay gusy who are being a magnet of the chicks, one thing I know is most gay guys gossip with girls more than guys

But, you cant rely on stereostype. which kill us sometimes

20. SadConfusedBandGeek

Lol my gaydar is terribly broken

But my friends all have great gaydar and all agreed to help me! lol