1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disability Services Won't Support Me

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Swamp56, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

:/

I contacted disability services at my university and they won't support me w/o an explicit letter from a psychiatrist explaining my condition, the effects it has on my cognitive abilities, the side effects of the meds, and all this other information.

I don't have a psychiatrist yet here, but I am being treated by the university's Counseling and Psychological Services. The disability services rejects even CAPS's documentation of my illness (schizophrenia).

What is worse is that my medication has basically stopped working properly, so if I end up hospitalized again, I'm not going to get proper support from the school.

I'm angry right now that the school won't accept documentation of my illness from the school. It makes no sense to me at all, especially since the Counseling and Psychological Services is run by a clinical psychologist who has his doctorate.

2. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Are you disable?

----
    Not sure what mental problems you have...

3. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Mentally, yes. They support psychological disabilities.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Chris,

Usually, colleges have someone in the role of a student advocate. Sometimes it's the Dean of Students, sometimes there's an assistant to somebody in the president's office, or something like that. The role of this person is to negotiate the bureaucracy of the college and cut through the red tape and solve problems. Since the head of the counseling center is a Ph.D. in psychology, he should be qualified to provide a diagnosis. It sounds like there's some paper pusher at disability services who doesn't understand that a doctoral-level mental health professional is as qualified to make a mental health diagnosis as a psychiatrist is.

I'm guessing that if you can find the advocate person, s/he can get through to someone with a brain and get this issue resolved; it seems like a pretty simple issue.

5. dude99

dude99 Guest

Well I had a mental illness and all I got was a referal from the GP to send to the disablility services at the university and the disablity services accepted it.

6. EM68

Maybe you may want to try getting a letter from your doctor in Massachusetts and have them fax it to your school.

7. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

She refused to diagnose me; it was the psychological services at the university who gave me the diagnosis I currently have.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just occurred to me: I believe you're entitled to a copy of your medical records, and I am near certain that an insurance company will not pay for medical care without a diagnosis. So even if it's not the correct diagnosis (which you can always change later when you get a competent psychiatrist) you'd have something to prove you have a diagnosis.

The other thing is... since your dumping your incompetent psychiatrist anyway, and don't have much of anything to lose with her, I'm sure if you called her secretary and said you need a diagnosis letter, and if she doesnt' provide one, you'll write to the insurance company and the medical board... you'll probably get one :slight_smile:

9. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ugg, I had a friend that had problems getting the University to accept their diagnoses of learning disabilities. Good luck.

10. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I have all the medical records in a drawer in my dorm. Her diagnoses were all wrong in the first place (mood disorder with psychotic features, anxiety, OCD) (I have schizophrenia, depression, anxiety, OCD), so I'm not even going to try and get her to provide the diagnosis I'm asking for (and the diagnosis I received from my intake).