1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I guess I am just looking for reassurance...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mugwump, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Mugwump

So I have a couple of questions:

Firstly, despite the fact that I'm sure I'm gay, I keep questioning it. Part of this is because I have had zero relationship experience, but the other part is that I am not attracted to most women. Like, I really don't like feminine women - I like the more guy-ish looking ones. I'm not sure if that's unusual? Because the gay women I know seem to find feminine women attractive. One girl was really surprised when I told her what type of girl I like. So if I have had no experience with guys or girls, and I like more masculine women, what makes me think I like women and not men? Am I odd?

Secondly, the types of girls I tend to like in clubs etc are always the confident ones who aren't afraid to dance etc. I am scared to dance, and there's no way I could start a conversation with them. They don't talk to me, and I end up going home feeling sad and like I will never find anyone. I feel like they are better than I am. And I feel like I would be too scared to do anything e.g. kissing or further... Did anyone else feel scared about this and then get over it? I would like to know.

2. Just Adam

ok part 1 : your normal it just emans you like butchy girls sorry for useing that word lol... theres nothign wrong with that at all

part 2: you like dominative women

so overall you like manly, assertive women who are in control and who are confident...thats normal and teher are sooooo many of them out there just right for you and you will meet someone who will love you:slight_smile:

and the shy non confident problem i get that too alot of people do its all natural stuff..

oh and on the note of guys jsut think when you see a naked guy do you want him? i would say no you just like teh masculine characteristics...

your fine your normal ...as a person gets lol...and you will find someone if you jstu stand at teh bar you might get approached yourself as some people like teh shy quality as they think its cute :wink:

take care :slight_smile:

3. Absentminded

You're not alone, and it's definitely normal. I'm the same way, I don't really like feminine women that much, I prefer more masculine women too!

4. Mugwump

Nice summary! I had never thought about it like that.

5. whedongirl

I'm with you. Confident, masculine women are amazing. You're completely normal. Don't worry too much about the lack of relationship experience thing. Just keep putting yourself out there and it'll happen for you.

6. Melissa

Hey there! I’m in the same boat with you when it comes to zero relationship experience. Regarding which type you like… Well, I don’t think it’s odd. Preferences don’t always have to fit into neat little boxes. I think it is unique to the individual. I personally am attracted to the more guy-ish looking ones as well but the few I’ve met are too aggressive for my taste. To the point that I find them scary and I feel insignificant… So now I’m not sure if I should be turning my eye to the more feminine types. I am confused too. ^^;

I do think though that Adam could be on to something.

7. Greggers

Aww (*hug*) dont worry, thats completely normal.

I like feminine men and really could only see myself settling down with a guy who is very in touch with his emotions and is not afraid to show that.

This means a shit load of men are very unattractive to me and only a very very select few i could see myself in a relationship with. I still know i am gay though because the feminine man still has a penis :slight_smile:

8. GhostDog

TEXT FLOOD, TEXT FLOOD INCOMING. Sorry! =X

That sounds so, so, so familiar. I think it just takes time. After I'd just accepted it, even though I felt a million times better, I'd still panic now and again and wonder if I'd got it all wrong. At some point, it got to where I'd answer, "But what if I don't like girls?!" with "But, uh, you just do, we've been through this." And I let it end there.

As to feminine women versus "butch" women, it's all preference. Liking butch girls is not the same as liking guys, because... it just isn't. You know they're girls. There have been people I've spotted on the street, and wondered, "Oooh is that a hot butch girl?" and it was just some guy, and I end up feeling kinda disappointed. =P I don't know why it's different, but it is.

I mean, c'mon. Butch girls are hot. I'm sort of surprised that gay girls would be surprised you like them. =P I personally love butch, femme, and anything in between (particularly in between), but I am a Professional Horndog*, so that's just me. They have that air of confidence and strength! Ladies like that make me go all weak at the knees. And, c'mon, some women just look bitchin' awesome with short hair, maybe a suit, ahhh. <3 <3 So, uh, I understand.

*TRUTH FACT

And you don't have to like every woman you see. Straight girls aren't attracted to every man they see, either. You shouldn't doubt your sexuality just because you don't feel like whistling at every lady you see, even if you know she'd be considered pretty. Liking Megan Fox isn't a requirement for playing for the girls' team. =P

Aww. You're not alone there, though. It's scary! And I personally wish I could say I've gotten over it myself, but I sincerely doubt you're the only one there who's feeling too afraid to dance. Do you go with anyone to clubs? Clubs and bars are incredibly awkward alone, unless you're an extremely social butterfly and go in there knowing you're hot shit. I find it's easier to get out on the dance floor and make an ass of yourself if you have a friend you can laugh it off with later.

But, then again, I've never gone to a club with the expectation of meeting anyone (particularly because my primarily straight friends don't go to the kind of clubs I'd want to meet people at, haha), so, mileage may vary.

BUT! Just because you're feeling too scared to go on the dance floor? Does NOT mean they are better than you! Confidence is mostly show. Everyone's a little scared that people are gonna think mean things, that someone's gonna talk shit, or that they're going to trip and fall flat on their ass. Confidence is just deciding that these things are not important enough to you to affect what you're doing. And it takes getting used to. God knows, I'm trying - I'm better than I used to be, but I'm not one of those dance floor divas, either.

At some point, you just gotta dive in. And it's terrifying. But I guarantee you, making an ass of yourself is more satisfying than hanging in the wings and wondering "what if?" Just try talking to a couple people! If they don't seem interested, move on. It is the beauty of large social gatherings like that. =)

This all from someone who dearly needs to take her own advice, ahem.

Also, I think many, many people are nervous about their first kiss and 'further'. I sure as hell know I am! I think that this is probably just a human thing rather than a gay thing. =P I assume once you get there, the excitement will overcome the nerves (or nobody would ever have sex). But, uh, no personal experience there, haha, so maybe someone knows better than me.

But oh man, it's confusing. I been there. <3 You shouldn't worry about being unusual or normal, you're just you. Be "you" before you try to be "normal", it's much more satisfying that way. =)

9. Mugwump

Wow, thanks so much for the responses!

...I like this :slight_smile: It pretty much sums up how I feel (well, in the oposite way, of course). I don't find the majority of women that attractive, but I certainly don't want to have sex with anyone who has a penis!

I have certaintly done that many times!! :slight_smile:

I have started going to some gay clubs with some people I 'sort-of' know. All my good friends are straight, so it makes it a bit hard. I am meeting some people, but finding it frustrating because I am not meeting the sorts of people I want to meet (e.g. a lot older than I am, or just not the sort of person I am interested in). Still, for someone who is rather scared of social situations I'm doing good! :slight_smile: