1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My parents. >.o

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by emerald, Aug 5, 2007.

1. emerald

Okay so I've been out forever and ever and ever. But my parents are still freaking out about it. Like once a month we get into a fight over it and I'm so tired of it.
    Like right now for example. The reason I haven't been online in forever is that my mom freaked out over something that happened 5 months ago.
    My principal called and left a message asking if I could call her back. My mom flipped because she hates her for what happened at a school board meeting, which was, again, five months ago. At the board meeting (I was there for something completely different) this lady got up and spoke about how she couldn't believe there was a GSA in a school like Berlin and the usual homophobic nonsense. Well my principal told me that if I was going to say anything then I should be mature and calm, etc. And what I said and what the lady said ended up in the newspaper with our names and everything. So my parents freaked out because, "the whole town knows I'm a dyke." And my mom thinks if the principal didn't say anything then I wouldn't have stood up.
    Blah.
    But anyway my mom got mad that the principal called, even though she didn't say what she wanted. And she got screaming at me about how I was always doing this "shit." Well my dad came home about fifteen minutes later and got mad at me for upsetting my mom.
    So he took away my phone and my internet and everything.
    This happens all the time. u.u Anyone have any idea about what to do?

2. CrimsonThunder

If you're old enough, move. If not just ignore you're parents and don't react on anything they do or say.

3. Time

Rebellion, that is the key!

I agree with CrimsonThunder. In all honesty, acting like you don't give a damn and making it a point not to react will probably send the message to them that you're truly out of the closet. Having your leisure items taken away sucks, but I suggest to bite your lip and roll with the punches. Also, count down the days until you can move out. :wink:

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Good for you for standing up against that woman! You know you did the right thing and eventually your parents will realize that too. I have actually had to deal with this too because my Dad didn't want anybody to know that my son is gay so he was quite upset with me for writing letters to the editor and being public. Well he's getting used to it! <grin> Just keep on standing up for what you believe. Do it in a respectful, calm, manner and your parents will eventually come around.

5. Sam

Sam

I agree if you stand up for yourself around your parents (respectfully) then they will realize that you are who you are and they can't change that so they better learn to live with it and respect you for who you are. by the way my parents used to freak out every time someone else found out I was gay and now they are completely different.

6. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well - my mother does that sometimes (taking things from me for no real reason), now less than she used to. For example, she once wanted to know the guys I had had sex with, and I told him that I wasn't going to tell because that'd mean outing, um... well, I'll say it, four guys, some of which have girlfriends and all. But she was very insistent, and then she got pissed. And when she's pissed I lose the very little favor I have. She takes things away from me (I hate being economically dependent...) - once she took, um, food away from me...

Another example. When I was like 14-16 I had a moderately bad acne. Whenever I had zits she would literally harass me because she wanted to make them explode. It was creepy... Dad once told her that she was sick. There was no way to escape, she was capable of not letting me go out of the house until I let her. And when she did, she always hurt me a lot... I mean, she would make me scream in pain, and she wouldn't release me until she had made all of my zits explode. And the worst thing, she said that I had done that to myself!

Now she calls me the "F" word... how accepting huh? Dad has called me "freak" since I was like 12.

Parents are crazy.

7. SpikySpice

I agre with averybody, since you are living under their roof, you have to do what they say, be smart, so they wont take away anything from you, i know taht it's hard, but gotta live with it, it's life

Then if you have any chnace, stand up again for yourselves, sooner or later, they'll understand

8. Choucho

Yes. >.< Parents are scary. Mine aren't that bad, but only my mom knows for now.
    Parents just need to stop sucking. >.< We can put them all in a box and shovel Bidoofs in.
    *huggles wifey* Don't worry, you'll be able to move out soon.

9. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Awww(*hug*) i agree wiv crimson, move out, and ignore them, theyl probly accpet u then

10. xequar

Sometimes a little healthy rebellion can be a good thing... Just be careful not to go overboard with it. For example, if the parents are getting uppity about you being vocal and open about yourself, just keep doing it. If it were me, I'd continue to use the internet and phone and everything they "took away" too, but that's about as far as you want to take it. Think of it as hitting a happy medium between being a problem child and being bullied, a place where you are demonstrating that you disagree with their stance and you're not going to accept it.

My particular favorite when i was still at home was when I was 16 and I stayed out late, about 30 minutes past curfew. My parents decided to "take away" my car and attempt to better enforce my (admittedly lenient) curfew. My response was to use my spare set of car keys (since I always kept all the spares), leave the house in my car in plain view of them, and then stay out all night. After that, my parents and I conversed (my big beef was really with the reaction to being 30 minutes late, as opposed to them having a curfew), and the end result was that my curfew became, "If you're going to stay out all night or leave Huron County, call us."

11. emerald

u.u My parents do this all the time though. Nothing seems to work with them. This happens every month. I've tried talking to them, I've tried ignoring them, I've just left the house. But it's the same thing.
    Sometimes it just starts out with something totally different. Like how I don't go to church, or I don't eat meat or that I dress "immodestly." But they manage to make it out how I'm gay. They just won't let it go.
    I'm graduating this year, finally. And then I'm literally leaving the country. But there's too much that I find I need stay in the house for. My aunt and grandma (who are actually the only relatives I have that are, "Zomg sinner!") have told me to move in with them but I don't want to cause a family fight. And were I to live with them I wouldn't go to the same school and I'm trying to get the GSA going there. Maybe they sound like stupid reasons but I figure, I just have one year left.
    I just don't want to go through that year like I have the last like five years. It gets tiring.
    Well see he quite literally took away my phone and internet. I have my phone back now. But there's still no internet. Blah.
    Thank you all for the advice!