1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

love affirmation?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by fallendream, Oct 4, 2009.

1. fallendream

my BF of a few months wants a love affirmation ceremony, basically marriage without legality, divorces, living together or whatever, im 15 hes 17 and although i dont want it can you guys and gals give me an insight why hed like it? its bassically swapping jewellery and confirming we both want a relationship

2. fallendream

also; there wouldmt be a vicar or anything if you were wondering, just us two

#2 fallendream, Oct 4, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  3. thebikelady

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Basically sounds like it is similar to the old school practice of wearing the other person's class ring. Best I can tell it pretty much just means you are "going steady."(not seeing anyone else)

4. Jim1454

A few months? By my count it's less than 2... Just keeping it real.

I think it's sweet that he wants to acknowledge you're relationship. My bf and I did the same thing - although after a year and a bit. We bought matching white gold bands and exchanged them one evening. We've been wearing them ever since - 6 months and counting.

I think my desire to do this came from the fact that society generally doesn't acknowledge same sex relationships the same way they do heterosexual ones. So I wanted to 'formalize' our relationship by making that kind of commitment, even if it were done privately.

Doing that at 15 after a couple of monhts is different than doing it at 38 after over a year... Don't sweat it.

5. fallendream

round my area we refer to around 2 or so as a few, also i know im too young and we havent been together for very long which are two factors which led to me deciding against
    ^apart from that thanks you two (and anyone that comments later)

6. Rhetorically, how do you feel about the relationship?

Signifying that you are in a relationship with him and that you are at least somewhat serious in being together doesnt mean that you have to act like Ozzie and Harriet XD

While he is older than you by a few years and this is a young relationship (in both your ages and the relationship itself), he probably wants more security in that you are together and are affirming that to both of you and to others. Nothing wrong with that. It is not uncommon for couples that *are going steady* to exchange possessions (hoodies, rings, necklaces, bracelets, hats, scarfs, pants, insert some fashion accessory). Most often with some sentimental attachment.
    Going steady usually just means you arent seeing other people and have no interest to see other people. And usually is portrayed to the public through the above means. So, how do you feel about him and do you think you two will be together for (insert time span, id say a year or two).
    (*hug*):icon_bigg