1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just some thoughts.....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BasketCase, Oct 6, 2009.

1. BasketCase

The quote above was posted in another thread that I didnt really want to hijack with my own random thoughts so I thought I would create my own thread for it to just to get what I am thinking somewhere outside my own head.

I've been tentatively stepping outside my comfort zone here and there for the last six months. First of all going to counselling, then going to counselling at a gay mens organisation, both were big steps for me to take as someone who usually kept everything locked inside to a very unhealthy degree.

Its been liberating to be able to talk openly with someone for a change.

With that small amount of progress made I now, in the next few days, have the opportunity to take another step in my quest of sorting my life, and my head, out. I posted on here recently about the 'Support Group' that I have the opportunity to go to - that is the next step I am talking about.

As per usual I am getting the all too familiar feeling of dread at the thought of doing something that is outside my comfort zone. My comfort zone isnt all that big and I have become an expert at remaining within it - to the point where it is becomong destructive in my life.

I feel that I need to go to this support group, I have to force myself to do this, otherwise I will start to regress and the small amount of progress that I have made recently will all be for nothing. It scares me though there is no danger, it is just fear inhibiting (Potentially) me from doing something I really want to do, and I really do feel that I have to swallow hard, take a deep breath, and make my way through (Though inside a door in my case) the door.

Sorry for the rant:eusa_doh:

2. s5m1

Congratulations. It sounds like you have made some real progress in a short amount of time. Please let us know how your support group meeting goes.

3. Jim1454

Yup - it sounds like you're on the right track. When you make enough steps in the right direction with positive outcomes, your 'comfort zone' gets bigger. It really is a cycle that feeds itself. Keep it up!

4. BasketCase

Thanks for the replies guys - I can see that I have made progress over the last six months or so - and although in a way it has seemed to go very slow its been quite a jump forward for me.

I posted last night because I have started to get that stomach churn that I usually get before backing down from something I want to do.

I really want to be able to come back on here tomorrow night and say that I was able to go, and not only was I able to go, but, that it was a positive experience. If I dont go through with it I imagine I will be in a pretty low place.

s5m1 - I'm going to e-mail that part of your post that I quoted above to my work e-mail and read it over and over tomorrow.