1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

orientation problems/and myspace

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by alusernamesgone, Oct 8, 2009.

1. alusernamesgone

ok so.. i have myspace..and you know how theres this orientation section,,well i have always chosen straight as my answer, but every now and then id go and change it to bi ,,
    and then id be all stressed coz i have close family friends on myspace, and id start freakin out thinking they would go start gossip and spread the news around my family before i could at my own pace..so..id always quickly change it back to straight
    I even went and deleted people i suspected to be the type to gossip about it.

And getting so SICK of changing my mind,,ive just set my orientation to bi..for the last time. ive decided im not goin to change it because in the end it will always be bi.
    and even tho its just a pathetic myspace profile,i still had to answer straight or bi

and i jus wanted to know,,,has anyone else had this annoying problem???

2. Gaetan

Does Myspace have the option, like Facebook, to just...leave it blank?

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It has "no answer." But... to anyone with a brain, "no answer" = gay or bi, because if you were straight, you'd have no reason to not put that :slight_smile:

4. GhostDog

It is a good way to say it without saying it!

But personally, I've always had trouble deciding to out myself on Facebook (and I know you said Myspace, but it's kinda similar!), because I know I want to tick 'interested in women' but I was never sure if I should put 'interested in men', too. ("... There's no box for 'I prefer women but I like certain very groovy, generally bisexual/androgynous/tranvestite dudes!'") I've put down women but then freaked out and gone "But! I'm only MOSTLY gay! I kinda go from feeling all-out gay to feeling bi! Should I put dudes too?! Is there a 'part-time dude-liker' box?!" and taken it off again. So, my Facebook is still blank because I find their 'yes/no' binary irritating. =P

... But, uh, my Facebook profile has no 'interested in', I have a photo album with gay pride day pictures, I'm a 'fan' of Gay marriage and a bunch of lesbian figures, and also I'm a member of the campus GSA Facebook group. Even if there aren't fresh batteries in someone's gaydar, it oughta be beepin' up a storm on my page, haha!

As to family? Well, that was always a consideration for me, too, but lately I've taken the "oh, to hell with it" attitude. The fact that my immediate family is supportive is probably a part of that. Even if my extended family gives me shit, my parents and siblings have my back. <3 If they accept me? That's awesome! If they don't like it? I'm itchin' to see what arguments they have, haha. >=D

But if you're not out to your family and you're not sure how supportive they'd be, or if they'd be actively antagonistic, I can quite understand wanting to be cautious about them finding out. So don't feel bad that it was an ordeal! It's surprisingly hard to click that damn "HAY GUYS I'M QUEER =D" box!

#4 GhostDog, Oct 8, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  5. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

I had a friend who had no idea I was bisexual, even though he had been on my facebook for over a year, and I have always had listed that I was interested in men and women. When I told him he was like "I had no idea!" and I told him it says so on my face book. He told me that he was completely oblivious and that he doesn't even think to check those kinds of things.

Personally I always check out orientation, but for those who don't think about it that much, I'm sure they don't usually frequent the orientation section.

6. alusernamesgone

THANKYOU guys for ur replies :slight_smile: