1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decoding Women :)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AtomicCafe, Oct 11, 2009.

1. AtomicCafe

I apologize for the new account.... I kept having to delete old ones to keep myself in the closet, but I'm totally out now and there's no more worries! Anyway, I usually keep the same username if that helps anyone.

Anyway, the story: I've met a girl in college. She's a lesbian and just as political and as much of an activist as I am, and I'm seriously crushing on her. We spent a weekend going on a texting frenzy last week (we've known each other for a few weeks and have a class together), and I finally got up the courage to sort of ask her out (and I'm still ashamed that I did this over text). Or rather, she said she'd love to hook me up with someone since I've never been on a date or been kissed, and when she asked what kind of girl I like, I said she was pretty close to what I'm looking for. She said she was flattered, I asked if it would be possible for this to be arranged, and her response was, "Well, that girl just got through a really tough breakup and isn't ready for another relationship yet." Then we carried on like normal and have been texting for about 5 hours a day. Seriously.

Some of my friends asked what her response was since I wasn't exactly hiding my crush on her, haha. All of them then told me that "I'm not ready yet" always just means "I just don't want YOU". So, as dumb as this question is going to sound, DOES it usually mean that? Or is that really a sincere "once I get over this" response?

I hate sounding so naive, but dating is totally new to me...

2. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seeing as how you received the news via a text message, some vital information is missing. When looking for the answer to your question, certain factors can make or break your hopes for a future with her. Body language, eye contact, tone of voice, wording, and other things we get from face-to-face communication would be of utter importance in this situation. Generally speaking though, I wouldn't rule it out as you seem to have a lot in common so there are a few seeds of hope for later on down the line. That phrase means many things, ranging from "hell no, not interested" to "maybe later", or even "I seriously did just get out of a relationship and just need some time to figure things out".

3. AtomicCafe

I really wish I had just waiting to ask in person.... Ugh. I think I was just way too nervous then. When we're together in person -- and even the day after that -- we keep catching each other's eyes every few minutes, winking, and all of this flirting body language. This really leads me on to believe it is a "maybe later" case or something positive, but I've gotten worried because of what all of my friends are telling me.