1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I beat the procrastination habit?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Katherine, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    I'm a procrastinator.

I know this isn't considered a serious problem--and I know a lot of people struggle (or, well, DON'T struggle) with it--but I really need to do better.

I've been able to do fine in school this way for a while, but this year has been crazy difficult. Half of my classes are AP. I'm barely passing my classes, and it's almost halfway through the semester. And seeing as it's my junior year, I really can't afford to get bad grades right now if I want any chance at a scholarship, which is really the only way I can hope to get into a good college anytime soon. So I really need to get my act together somehow.

Honestly. It's driving me crazy. I hear about something that's due, then I go home and create so much dread about it in my mind that I never end up finishing it, no matter how small the thing is. Then I in turn end up making myself WAY more stressed than I would be if I just did the damn assignments when I was supposed to. I literally almost cried in Physics the other day because I hated myself so much for not doing the stupid homework that I KNEW I could've done well on, had I actually done it. I just keep sabotaging myself. And I KNOW I'm sabotaging myself. So why can't I stop doing it?!

It's gotten to the point where I literally have to force myself to do my work--that is, wait until literally two hours before the assignment is due to even start on it. I've started to make a habit of waking myself up at three or four o' clock in the morning so that I can do my homework RIGHT BEFORE heading off to school. Being under that kind of pressure is the only way I know how to motivate myself. And it's killing me in the process--I'm making myself more stressed, losing a ton of sleep, and rushing through big projects WHILE I'm stressed and sleep-deprived, therefore not doing well on them. I almost feel like a drug addict (this is a weird simile) because I know I'm doing it, and I know that it's wrong, and I know that it's only making me MORE miserable, but I can't stop.

I can't stand it anymore. It's making me really hate myself because I can't even handle my own homework without asking for help, because I feel like if I REALLY cared about this I'd just fix it and do my freaking work already. But I can't, and that makes me feel SO goddamn worthless.

Does anyone know any tips and tricks that might help me become more diciplined and self-motivated? Please?

#1 Katherine, Oct 13, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  2. haelmarie

Do you do any charity work? Have you had a job?

If you're upbringing is anything like mine, you probably didn't have to do much in terms of boring work when you were younger. Which really sucks, because you never learn how to force yourself to sit down and work. I know it was pure hell for me the first year of high school. If you're really interested in changing your work habits, try to get something like a job. If it's a really huge problem, consider a tutoring program like Sylvan or Kumon (do they have those in the states?) Doing your work in a supervised area might be just the thing that you need.

Obviously it's not something that's going to change overnight, but here's a tip:

When I sit down to do homework, it can be a struggle. It sounds dumb, but I often will try to trick myself by taking it one step at a time. Like, "Open my backpack. Get out the books. Open the books to the right pages," without even thinking of the homework. Then I'll just force myself to start writing, even if it's shit at first. It doesn't always work because it depends on whether you can trick yourself to getting all of your books out, and I don't think it would work with everyone.

3. olides84

Well, when I saw the title, I was gonna write "I'll get back to you later on that" for my response, but of course your post is so heartfelt that it would have been quite rude. So instead I've been shamed into answering :slight_smile:

You will always be a procrastinator in personality, like I am. So one way I found to combat procrastination is to physically avoid the things you like to spend time with instead of doing homework. Like the computer, TV, phone, friends, etc. Especially right after school. Because I think once you start any of that other stuff after a school day, then the procrastination fairy kicks in. So either stay at the library or in the classroom, or at home set yourself down in a room that doesn't have any of that stuff. I used to do my HW in the formal dining room--no one even knew where I was.

4. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Working doesn't help me with my behavior. Maybe it could help her, but work just takes up my time. Then I am left with 9 hrs (which I tell myself I will use them up, but instead I go to sleep and get angry with myself when the next day rolls around).

At work it's a must, and with homework/studying it's not really a must at the moment. I take work any day over stressing about grades, it's not the hw, tests, and stuff, but like worrying "How can I raise this up? What do I need to do? How many hours are left? I need a B so I won't stress about exam. I need to pass. What if I don't pass. What will happen, I need to graduate. I will be a failure at life. Omg, I'm doomed!!!". repeatxxx

When it's a necessary necessary, I put my mind into it full control. I sit there, and just do it. I tell myself that I am running out of time. I still do it.

but I think you're like that too when you need to do it.

Which is not the same as should.... since a need is like to pass, but a should is to pass really well. There's the difference, like you should lose 20 lbs if you're 20 lbs overweight. You NEED to lose 300 lbs at min if you weigh 600 lbs.

See.....

I cannot function at the computer. Nor in my room on my bed, unless it's easy material. I need a light and a table, and I need some diet pills to keep me up (Trimspa baby), and I need to set a time schedule like have flexibility but to say that I have 1 hr to do this (when I really have 2 if needed).... just do it

I should be doing something right now.... but guess what I am tired and it's midnight.... I don't have anything serious tomorrow but the day after tomorrow (Thursday) so I will probably pray a lot tomorrow and do my best.

My grades right now is A- average, with a high C in French and a low C in math...... math test on Thursday. I don't know what to do..... but I'll be okay.

But whatever.... I'll pass the class hopefully. I just need to study for it, because I can't.

okay here's some songs that works for me......

I listen to Shania Twain when I need to feel like there's hope (I get depress when I study).... her music is my anti-depression/anti-procrastination

see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCiHFSZcZ1k&feature=related

okay

Also.... I tell my mind some crazy event will happen if I don't do it, which makes me believe it, and I do it. I have a gullible mind.

I hope that helps.

oh and Ayumi Hamasaki is a good artist to listen too if you need happy music..

if you go with her music go with 2002-2005
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Q9VWW6gaY&feature=related

because they are more dancey/trippy/trance type and today is more pop and commercial and in the past sounds so 90....

OH and this song is just awesome listen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VedAZKlKLp4

#4 Jack2009, Oct 13, 2009
  5. Gaetan

Best way I've found is to get into a routine. Do homework at the same time of day, every day. And if you don't have any homework, do something you don't normally do instead.

Also, I find doing your homework someplace besides where you procrastinate helps. If you spend a lot of your time doing stuff at your computer desk, do your homework in the kitchen then.

6. ultrabluecheese

You aren't alone in the procrastination situation. I think most, if not all, of us have been victims to it.

A useful way to mitigate the problem is to prioritize classes; which are more important--AP or regular classes? Continuing with that concept, prioritize assignments according to due dates or severity; think of projects, presentations, and essays as opposed to daily homework assignments--which are worth more points or are due earliest? As a last--and I mean LAST--resort method to get homework finished, allow yourself to purposely miss assignments for the "lower" classes; I know it's pretty silly to do that, but sometimes missing one or two assignments gives you more time to finish your more rigorous courses.

In regards to stress levels, I suggest getting an entire night's sleep. Your health comes before your education, and if your stress levels are debilitating your ability to exceed in school, then I cannot underscore getting a full night's sleep enough.

Also, a way to make yourself be more proactive in your grades is to hold yourself to a high standard. Aim for the 4.0 GPA, try to get all A's, but don't beat yourself up if you happen to get a few B's. That doesn't in any way mean that you should become a recluse and solely focus on school, but devote time to play and time to work. For example, give yourself more fun time with friends on weekends because, after all, you've earned those breaks. Moreover, remind yourself--even more--that the only beneficiary of your education is you, so make the most out of it; tell yourself that there are higher things at stake than just sacrificing your time with your friends.

During my senior year in high school, I took 5 AP classes--AP Spanish, Literature, Environmental Science, Calculus BC, and Civics/Government--I passed the exams for each test, and I withheld a 4.33 GPA (Calculus BC is the culprit in contributing to that result). Did I stress myself out? Of course! Could I have hung out with my friends more often instead of devoting most of my time to homework? Hell yes! But in the end, it was worth it; I received the allotted credit from AP course work, and I still was able to hang out with my friends more often later on in the year, granted that I opted not to partake in sports.

I guess you can tell that the moral of that anecdote is that it's entirely possible to balance school courses. The only thing that is necessary is the willpower to perform well and the motivation to take initiative.

#6 ultrabluecheese, Oct 13, 2009
  7. GoBabyGoGo

dont fear not doing something well. a lot of procrastination comes from being a perfectionist. settle for things that are less than perfect.

coffee.

take away all distractions. do not even check emails/ whatever quickly. i find i can study really well if i stay at school library but i fail at home.

just do it.

before you start, picture yourself doing it. is it really that bad? what do you have to lose from doing it? there are no negative impacts on yourself, only positive ones.

some motivation by being compeditive with your freinds or aiming for a certain high grade might help.

reward yourself with food, etc after a certain time. set a timer and dont leave the room or stop untill it goes off.

exercise to get your blood flowing.

a job might help to give you a bit of discipline and also you will have less time to procrastinate.

set yourself deadlines that are before the actual deadline.

NOTE TO SELF: TAKE OWN ADVICE

8. GoBabyGoGo

and for heavens sake get enough sleep!!!! sleep is the most important thing so that your body will function! (at least ive got that one mastered!)

9. Jim1454

^ EXCELLENT ADVICE!!! :eusa_clap

I was going to say much of the same stuff. I procrastinate to this day - and when I really think about why, the answer is because I'm not sure how to do it PERFECTLY! And that's absolutely stupid. Because my best shot is going to be pretty damn good, even if it isn't perfect.

And if you really don't know how to do something, it really is better to find out sooner rather than later. So start things right away. When you get an assignment, start it. Work on it a little every day. Make yourself a list of ongoing projects so that you don't forget. Break each item on the list down into mini lists (1. Pick topic 2. Get books 3. Read books 4. Create essay outline etc...)

But really awesome advice from Polyamorous!

10. AtomicCafe

I'm a huge procrastinator as well. I wasn't so much in high school, but now I am in college. Not even routines help me most of the time. What I tend to do is pick up something really inspiring. (For me, those are self-help books. I know, sad. Sometimes I'll use music or a movie, though.) One I've finished looking at that, it spurs me to get to work.

11. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    this is a huge problem for me too.

I try to do the things I need to do at set periods of time each day and do them at the same time.

It also helps to make a list of what needs to be done that way you get that feeling like you're doing something as you cross stuff off the list.

12. GoBabyGoGo

lol for me that is a way to procrastinate. sure a bit of organization is good, but what ends up happening with me is i spend a lot of time making lists and timetables, etc, and not actually follow them :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm definitely a procrastinator and I'm still really bad about it, but I've got a bit better in the past couple of years. The two things I've found the most helpful are getting someone to kick my ass if I don't start working - when I'm at home it's my mum, other times I'll ask whoever's available - and changing scenery when I feel myself getting restless. At uni, I go to a computer lab and don't let myself leave until a certain amount has been done. At home, I take my computer to the kitchen table or something, and again, give myself an ultimatum that I won't leave until I've written however much. (I like to use an amount of work as my guideline rather than an amount of time, because otherwise I'll mess around for that time.) It doesn't work all the time, but it's a help.