1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Roommates

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AtomicCafe, Oct 14, 2009.

1. AtomicCafe

Hey all,

I'm a freshman in college. When I moved into the dorm, I roomed with a girl I had met and let her know I'm gay to avoid any future awkwardness. She was perfectly fine with it, but her parents were not and made her move out. Still a bit depressed and offended about that, but that's life!

Anyway, I'm getting my new roommate sometime this week. We've never met, and all I know is her name and what she looks like. Now I'm lost as to what to do. I have a wall of all of my gay posters, I wear gay pride buttons and shirts, and I'm very openly gay. This girl may move in during the middle of the day when I'm not in the room, and I'm not sure if I should take down my flamboyantly gay posters for this week and sort of slowly give her the idea, or just leave it be and let her find out quickly, or whatever else. (Also note that room changes are not allowed for roommate disagreements, so if she's a homophobe, we're stuck together.)

I just want to be nice about it and test her out since this is the exact reason I refused to have a random roommate assignment. If I'm paying for a room, I don't want to share it with someone who I make uncomfortable and who hates me. What should I do?

2. Jim1454

I'd say leave your room as it is. The fact that you want to be considerate suggests that you're not an 'in your face' kind of person. The last room mate was fine with it - it was her parents that had a problem. To be honest, your first room mate was a wimp for giving in to her parents.

Be yourself. It's always the best approach. Good luck!

3. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    well, she has to tolerate you, so it wouldn't make too much difference >.>

if I had any major projects or homework to do, I wouldn't take the stuff down.

4. Gaetan

Yeah, your new roommate really has little choice in the matter. The University probably assigned you to them (or vice versa), so she'll have to take every part of you.

If you have her e-mail, maybe shoot her one and forewarn her. That way if she has a problem with it she can get a different room before going through the trouble of moving in first.

5. xequar

I'd say leave the stuff up and then when she moves in, strike up a conversation about wall decor (since she'll be there too, she might want some of her stuff up too).

6. AtomicCafe

Thanks, everyone. :slight_smile: I'm just going to leave it up. Not entirely sure if I could bring up a conversation about it.... I tend to just let other people make comments and not be so open as to have that be the first thing people learn about me.

I'd love to send her an email, but the school only gave me her first name and no contact info. (If they had, the first thing I'd want to know is WHEN she's moving in -- I'm paranoid about keeping it clean since I have no idea!) Since neither of us can change rooms unless one of us moves off campus, is there anything I should do in case we totally clash over this?

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you DO clash, just try to respect her wishes. She can't demand you take your posters down, but if she wants to put up some of her own with hot guys, say she's more than welcome to. :slight_smile:

Lex

8. ArcusPravus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm jsut curious but if the university won't change roommates because of disagreements between roommates, how did the first roommate leave?

9. I think it's really decent of you to actually consider the feelings of a roommate you haven't even met.

I think if your new roommate is not entirely familiar with the gay community, she may be overwhelmed by the posters. I don't think it would be a bad idea to take the posters down. Like you said, it might make her more comfortable, and you seem more than willing to compromise -- and that's the most important thing when sharing a place with someone.

Either way, posters left up or taken down, you should talk to her about it when you meet her.

10. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well, what your old roommates parent's did sucks, but at least their cycle of ignorance is broken with their daughter.

You can't control your new roomie, so you'll just have to take the punches as they come.

Like Lex said, she is free to put up whatever she wants on her side of the room.

11. AtomicCafe

Oh, I'm definitely fine with hot guy posters on her side; my last roommate did the same to sort of balance out the room. (Besides, mine aren't naked women are anything; most of them are social justice, posters from our LGBTQ club, and that sort of thing. It's not offensive by any means unless you're anti-humanity.) I think I'll take down one or two of the more obvious ones for now.

Arcus: my last roommate managed to leave because she is no longer staying in a dorm. The university only has an issue with students switching between dorms.

Well, either way, it looks like she'll be here in two days, so I'll see how she seems to react...

12. RaeofLite

Good luck. Hope the roomie takes it ok. :slight_smile: You seem like a considerate girl so if she's a total bitch I could forsee problems but other than that it might be ok.

13. AtomicCafe

Thanks. :slight_smile: I did find her on Facebook, and now the only things I know about her are where she's from (a liberal state, thankfully) and that she likes sports. Hmm, not much of a help there, but I guess it's only a matter of time right now!

14. AtomicCafe

Giving a rather humorous update that's a bit overdue....

So, the new roommate I referenced in here didn't move in on the date I expected. Last night, I got back from class and checked my texts. (I had left my phone number with the front desk and asked that she call me when she finally moved in since we had no contact info for each other.) There was a new message that just said, "I won't live with faggots." And, of course, a similar note posted on the door. This morning, I get notice that someone else was going to move in tomorrow.

A little down in the dumps since I wasn't expecting such a hurtful reaction. I would have been fine with her saying she didn't want to live with me or whatever, but phrasing it that way? Yeah, I have little to no hope about the next one. Now I'm torn between leaving the posters up and risk losing yet another roommate or taking them down and just staying as deeply closeted as possible.

15. Jim1454

Ok - that was horrible. I can't believe people still talk like that at university?!? You're WAY better off to NOT have her as a room mate!

I'd say absolutely not! What if you HAD removed your posters? She'd have moved in, you'd have met her, and THEN she'd turned all 'redneck' on you. It wouldn't have been pretty.

I say - be yourself. Don't take it personally. It's them that have a problem - not you.

Worst case is that you have a private room for the price of a semi private one. Not a horrible thing to contemplate... (*hug*)

16. Paragon

Paragon Guest

thats frikin mean!
    B**cH! im sure ur next roomate wont be wont be so 1932

17. AtomicCafe

Haha, hopefully the next one works out.... I figure it is a good plan to just leave things as they are and hope the next one will have sense to leave if she can't tolerate me or stay if she's fine. It just pisses me off so much that people can be so incredibly stupid and hurtful. The girl I was originally going to room with, who I had known for about a year previously, finally refused to sign the housing contract because she thought I was "rape her in her sleep" or something equally stupid. Here I was thinking that was the last time I would get a reaction like that....

18. Paragon

Paragon Guest

^
    gosh some people are so unbelievably stupid....
    :/

19. AtomicCafe

I don't know about you, but every gay person I've ever met has automatically wanted to hook up with every person of the same gender they've ever laid eyes on. Naturally.

20. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Ouch that was just horrible! :frowning2: No need tbh. Good riddance. Keep the posters up and be proud who who you are. :slight_smile: