1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do y'all have any tips for improving time management?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mind Freak, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Mind Freak

My time management skills are a tragedy.
    They're disgusting; I'm amazed that I ever get anything done. Lol.

Any advice?

2. MusicIsLife

I'd say try like a schedule, written down.

Example:

Saturday:

10AM wake up

11: breakfast

12: walk dog

and so on, just give time slots for things you need to get done, and it might help?

3. AtomicCafe

Doing what MusicIsLife suggested definitely helped me when I started college. One thing you learn quickly, though: always make sure to schedule some free time and give yourself more time than you think! Nothing will make you want to quit faster than being burned out or constantly behind.

4. shimmersky

Read the book "Getting Things Done" by David Allen. Seriously, read it. It will help a LOT.

5. shimmersky

6. Camman3

Please DO NOT set up a schedule - worst idea ever. When the unexpected interferes, your whole schedule is thrown off and is very distressing.

The best thing to do is to just keep a diary. Write down anything you need to do for the day, or on other days on those days in your diary (that way you don't have to worry about other stuff all on the same day). Don't procrastinate - try and get as many things done as possible everyday, and tick them off as you go along.

I think it's pointless saying this, you must already know this, but only do work that needs to be completed sooner than later - aka: don't start a project due for 3 months time when you have a test to study for tomorrow! Know what I mean?

A diary has helped me so much. When you practice time management, it gets easier. I even start doing little things to maximise my free time, such as washing the dishes while I watch TV (kitchen and lounge connected... some might not be so lucky). It really helps to be able to control your time - good luck!

7. AtomicCafe

Also, building off the diary idea, spend a few days just recording what you do on an average day. If you already feel stressed out as though you're doing too much, this will open your eyes to the amount of time we all waste. Of course, it is NOT a waste to sleep, eat, fit around for a few minutes to relax, watch your favorite TV shows. It IS a waste of time to channel-flip for two hours because you're bored, check your email 40 times in the morning, and so on.

8. tokwa

Hack your brain. I read an article in the net about something about powersleeping or some sort, sleep like 20mins then after 4 hours sleep again for 30mins and so on. I may be wrong.

9. justinishere

I don't actually write a schedule but more of a to do list of things that I want to do for the day. If there are things that I know I have to do they are at the top but the things that could wait a little normally are lower on the list. Prioritize is something good to do as well. Try not to do to much in one day that you know you can't do!

Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

10. Paragon

Paragon Guest

omg i suck at time, i tried planning things ahead but i always just say "meh, i'll do it in another hour"