1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think of a 17yo dating a 21yo?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Camman3, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Camman3

I know it sounds silly to most (or so I would think - that's why I'm actually asking).

It would be so great if anyone who had dated a younger guy still in high school, or anyone in high school dating an older guy, could tell me about their experiences.

If you're not one of those people, could you just tell me your personal opinion? I won't be offended or anything - don't worry.

I know it's not a lot of information, but based on what you know for yourself, in general etc, just let me know.

What I can tell you is that I have been talking to a really awesome guy for a while now over a program something similar to MSN (IM program) and I want to meet him - he wants to meet me and we will see where it goes from there. I am not thinking about a relationship with him yet (kinda ironic because it inspired this thread... but just go with me here) because I haven't fricking met him!

I just purely want your thoughts on a younger guy dating a slightly older guy.

2. x2x2x2x2y2

I say why not?! He could be a winner or a loser, either way u learned a life lesson.

3. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    Hmm I don't think it's that bad an age difference but if your meeting a guy off your computer make sure it's in a very public place like a cafe or something. Take things slow and see where they go

4. BasketCase

I cant see that there is any issue with it.

5. x2x2x2x2y2

I completely agree with this! Make sure ur safe!

6. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Go for it. Its an experience really. And said when you meet go public!

7. Rygirl

Make sure that you have a current picture of him, then meet him some place public like the mall or something. If he's a good guy, then your on to a winner, good luck.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Meeting in person is the next logical step, but be very cautious. I usually suggest taking a friend along on the first meeting and doing so in a public place. I also suggest that if there aren't lots of pics of the person in different settings and times (making it harder to adopt a fake identity) asking to see him on webcam or asking him to take a pic just for you that's crazy enough he won't be able to find one like it (making a weird face while holding a box of cereal or something.)

As for the age difference... 4 years at your age isn't a huge deal, but keep in mind that there will be some substantial life experience differences. If you're a mature 17 year old and he's an average 21 year old, it will probably be fine. If he's extremely mature and you're not, then there are likely to be power imbalances in the relationship which can be problematic.

But... all that is for later. Meeting him is the first thing. I wish you the best of luck!

9. -Michael-

I think it's fine.

But be careful who you're actually meeting up with.

10. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i had a fling with a 21yo woman when i was 15. it was harmless.

11. paco

paco Guest

i'm looking at a 4 year age gap right now, i don't think theres anything wrong with 4 years as long as theres a real connection between you. and if there is, 4 years gets smaller and smaller.

12. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just remember the public thing bud, that's the most important part. Doesn't matter if you have a connection...if you meet him at his house, you could totally get hurt, because people do lie. Just remember that.

13. CrimsonThunder

Its only okay if both of you think its okay and are comfortable with it. It doesnt matter what anyone else thinks!

14. Camman3

Hehe; thanks guys =)

I really appreciated all your efforts! I think we get along quite well. I feel I have my head screwed on the right way - I know about the whole public meeting thing.

It should be harmless fun - go for it, right? Hehe - we'll see what happens =)

Thanks again - maybe I'll keep you posted :wink:

15. ZachO

ZachO Guest

I hope it turns out well. Sometimes an age difference relationship is a mutually good thing, but I've seen it where it was the older guy taking advantage of the naivety of the younger.

I would probably take things slow, but other than that, it could be a great experience.