1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobic Friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pteen, Oct 19, 2009.

1. pteen

I'll try to make this short cause if I forget what I wrote when looking over posts I don't want to read a lot and, you guys, posters are important. Anyway, I have a friend, obviously who's parents hate homosexuals. I have told him becuase of that and I don't rrally know what he thinks about it. Any opinions would be great this is one of those times where I want to hear a lecture. Just make it short.:lol:

2. BasketCase

Not really sure what the exact issue is here. Are you saying that you have told him you are gay because his parents are homophobic?

If so then its a good move as he will have someone to relate to. I didn't have a great weekend as there were plenty of homophobic comments made by friends of mine as Stephen Gately is in the news.

3. AtomicCafe

You say you told him. Did he have a reaction then? That's something to base our lectures off of. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. CrimsonThunder

You'll need to ask him what he thinks now. I know I'm not being very positive right now but it may have been a bad decision. But then again, if hes not gonna like you hes not a real friend is he? I don't have any homophobic friends, reason is because you can choose your friends.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know you made the post short, but you did kind of leave out a lot of details...makes it difficult to give the advice you want.

6. Gaetan

Children's opinions can differ from those of their parents. It might take him a bit longer to come around, but I imagine because he's your friend he will come around. Or he might just ignore the issue and let it become an elephant in the room.

7. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    short answer: ask him.

8. pteen

Sorry, let me rephrase this. I have told him and I asked him to keep it a secret becuase his parents are homophobic. I don't really know what he thinks yet but whatever he is thinking I just hope he will be excepting. He and and I have a close personality and, becuase of that I think he might be ok with it. For anyother questions just ask.

9. CrimsonThunder

You did the right thing by telling him to keep it a secret from his parents. You dont want them forcing him from seeing you!

10. warrior

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Homophobic in what sense? Simply because they find it disgusting and consider heterosexuality to be superior, or because of religious/cultural reasons, or are they ignorant about the issue? You'll have to be more explicit on this matter.

11. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let's hope it goes well. I just lost a 6 years friendship because this person can't accept me for who i am when there as nothing different before.

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ask. "Is this something you're cool with? If you'd rather I don't really talk about it much, I understand."

Lex

13. pteen

Probably religous beliefs.

#13 pteen, Oct 20, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  14. warrior

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^ You can always expose them to the liberal interpretations of the Bible, including the actual reasons behind the downfall of the Sodom and Gommorah story - something even the religious scholars now-a-days agree with. For more information, check my post on the other thread about 'losing a six years old friendship'.

15. guacj

Like others have said just ask him. You could bring it up in conversation and just be straightforward with him. I would say I know that this is something that we only briefly got a chance to talk about, but I really want to know how you feel about this, Because I truly value your friendship. I'm sure he is fine with it if he hasnt changed at all.