1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asking for help...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by drake86, Oct 20, 2009.

1. drake86

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have grown up around straight people my entire life, or so I thought. I never really had any gay friends or never really knew many gay people. I wish I did so I would have someone to turn to for advice. This guy I know from college (we both graduated last year) is gay. We were the same majors in college and were in many of the same classes. He only came out like a year or two ago. Do you think it would be a good idea to send him a message on facebook telling him that I am gay and asking for any advice? Do you see an problems or issues that could come from doing that?

2. Charme

Charme Guest

I don't see any problem in doing that. Is he a friend or have any odd reason to hate you?

3. biisme

I don't see any way in which that could be a bad thing. I would say send him a message. :slight_smile:

4. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unless the two of you don't get along for whatever reason, it sounds like a good idea to me :slight_smile:

5. Greggers

Well, id have to know a bit more about the guy before id recommend you go running of to him saying "Teacher! Teacher! What are the ways of the gay?" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Just because someone is gay does not mean they will have what your looking for. But thats just me being cynical...im sure hes fine, im just saying not everyone is built to give advice and i dont really know the guy. Its your call on going to him for advice or not, not any of ours. You know best :slight_smile:

I would maybe chat him up first. If you have specific questions that you think he could answer or you just want to hear his story, thats great and you should definitely ask him, but maybe wait until you chat some? You dont want to come off in a bad way, and being on the internet its hard to express things like you can face to face. Try and naturally build up to the questions, thats all :slight_smile: (or ignore everything i just said, because i am very OCD when it comes to social skills and i over-think everything...)

6. drake86

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    OK. Thanks for the help I guess I am going to contact him. Why does it feel so hard to make progress coming out.

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Coming out, in particular at the beginning of the coming out process is always difficult, even if the other person is gay. I have a friend who is gay and whom I have known for a while. Though yet, he was not the first one to whom I came out to. I think that sometimes it really just comes down to with whom you are most comfortable with and whom you trust the most.

Maybe what would help, think about in terms of "he is the best person to understand what you are going through, and having his support, will be of some help."

Good luck!

8. justinishere

That actually sounds like a great idea! If you both are friends it makes coming out even easier. I came out to a friend who after told me she was bisexual. Turns out she knew all along and lately we have been bonding and sharing experiences, advice and stories :slight_smile:

9. werekid

sure take a whack at it

10. Jim1454

If nothing else, it would be nice for you to contact him and offer him support regarding his own 'coming out'. As you know - it's not an easy thing to do! Depending on how that exchange goes, you might feel comfortable letting him know that you're also questioning your orientation - and would appreciate talking to him some time.

Good luck!

11. Darkwing65

DO IT NOW! GLEALL.

lol

12. drake86

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I did it. Now just waiting to see how he responds

13. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Let us know! :slight_smile:

14. NJCentralGary

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Please let us know, great step you are taking! I can't wait to find out what happened.