1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does it mean to be out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Smiley1123, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Smiley1123

Howdy yall!

I was just wonderin', what does it mean to be out? Like actually out to "the world"

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I considered myself fully out when I realised that I didn't care who knew. There are a few exceptions - my grandparents, for example, are people who don't need to know - and there are people who don't know, but I don't mind if they find out. I'm out because I'm not hiding it.

3. kramer362

To be as open about who you like or are dating as heterosexual people are?

4. ethelred

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, Maddy is right, she just left out the "have told people" part (though I know she meant it). There are plenty who have told themselves "I don't care who knows!" and then not told anyone or done anything about it.

Yes, you are out when you:

1: Have told the people you feel should know
    2: Don't care if anyone else finds out, and will gladly tell them if they ask
    3: Live a 'normal' life just as a straight person does but with bfs/gfs, flings, crushes, soul mates, and partners in alignment with your orientation

And just to be sure, you don't try to cover up #3, because that is kinda the important one. That means no actively avoiding conversations about girls or boys, or pretending to like the 'normative' gender you are supposed to be attracted to. You don't care who knows, you don't care who asks, you don't care who sees you hanging out with your (insert significant other here).

You, smiley1123, seem to be well ahead of the game compared to some of us, bravo. I mean, my mom found out three days ago, and you're 14 and she is already aware.

The future is bright...and gay, oh so very gay. :icon_wink

5. xequar

Pretty much, yep. Everyone in my life knows-friends, family, parents, grandparents, co-workers, associates, et cetera et cetera, and I'm not afraid to tell anyone. My family and co-workers have all met my boyfriend.

Being out is about being you, no compromises, no hiding.