1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

seach for local gays on facebook?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GoBabyGoGo, Oct 23, 2009.

1. GoBabyGoGo

is it possible?

im a noob at facebook so i stand to be corrected, but when i click on the relationship or dating link in my profile it:

- tells me to refine my seach by location, so i try to type in my hometown, my area, even sydney and it says no matches found, so i cant even try to search the area
    - i refine my search by my school, and facebook sees that im interested in men, so it shows males from my school that also say they are interested in a relationship/dating, but gee thanks facebook, they are all straight :eusa_doh:

cant i just search for guys near where i live who also have interested in: men on their profiles?

2. Tiny Catastrophe

get the are you interested application. thats how i meet people

3. Adam

You used to be able to do a detailed search of people and choose the option to search for people "interested in" and show you everyone that has their interested in men. But noooo they don't have that option anymore which sucks!!! :frowning2:

4. GoBabyGoGo

yeah i just got the are you interested application..
    ive gone through and skipped like 50 people cos they all live so far away... is there no narrower search than 'your country!?' (its a rather large country :wink:)

5. GoBabyGoGo

and i just seem to get the same people all the time!!! only the ones that are 'online now'. including me, the only one ive clicked interested in so far :wink:

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah Facebook use to be helpful, and then they kind of lost themselves with the fifty million applications :slight_smile:

7. GoBabyGoGo

ok, so far on that application, ive got 3 people from another country, and 7 old creepy hairy fat guys interested. woohoo

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Facebook never seemed like a good way to go about it. I can't speak for most folks, but everybody I know (which includes people significantly younger than me, yes) uses it to keep tabs on their friends and family, more than to "meet new people".

Lex

9. Zero Beat

Oh go for the creepy old people...

ew.

I tired doing a the same thing, did not work out so good. Kinda epic failed on me. But you never know you luck on the internet.

10. AtomicCafe

I've always used Facebook to keep in touch and Myspace to meet new people. Usually Myspace is more oriented to this; besides, some people display their full names over there, so you could search on Myspace then copy-paste the name over to Facebook to see if they're on that, too.

11. Tiny Catastrophe

yea there's an option called my region and that should be helpful.

12. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember meeting a few local gay guys using MySpace, but I don't think I was able to ever meet someone through facebook. Though I WAS able to meet several hot guys on facebook from like United States and Greece, they added me and I generally don't turn it down. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. GoBabyGoGo

so true ^ ^

but its kinda last resort/out of desperation cos i live in a really isolated area, pretty much the only gay in the village

no social/support groups anywhere nearby etc etc, i just feel isolated and im trying my very very hardest to meet others... so far i havent met anyone yet

14. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>7 old creepy hairy fat guys interested.

I resemble that remark. :slight_smile:

Lex

15. tylerzane69

facebook only allows you to search for people within your network now i believe, and its tricky to work around, i personally havent had the need to try and find local gay guys on there, i think that you should be focused on making friends and having them there for you than looking for guys, the right guy will surface in time.

16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really don't get why Facebook is such an epic fail in so basic an aspect of finding new friends. Myspace is a piece of crap which still, after 5 years, breaks all the time, but I gotta say that the Myspace browse/search engine is a thousand times better than Facebook at helping you actually meet new people who share interests.

Perhaps you should try making a Myspace page?

17. GoBabyGoGo

but hey, when on a DATING type thing, and i get guys over 35 saying they are interested in me, an 18 year old, thats just really not respecting the boundaries

ew. i hate facebook enough already! but maybe i will consider it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: