1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid proffesor >_>

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ralphtruco, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Ralphtruco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    first of all wou o_o long time i have posted here XD second yey =D im in college ^^!
    >_> this stupid teacher in the subject of Anthropology (u know? that subject about human studies? >> where u have to have a open mind and everthing?), anyhow in the middle of the class to make an example of how u should study a theme he asked the class about one
    they replied "homosexuallity" (that word is really anoyinf for me idk why XD), then everytime he would call again he would say things like "when u aproach the PROBLEM of homosexuality", "the problem of homosexuality" blah blah >_> i just wanted to smash his head with all of the classes blackberry-es (thats like the "popular" cellphone to have over here) but nah u_u i just standed like a stupid person just ...quiet u_u, at first i dint gave it much thought but then i talked to a friend and he was like all WTF-ish telling me why i dint defend myself (hes straight...i told him he wouldnt understand)
    then next in a debate about gay marriage u_u dint say a word either and wah u_u i just hate being so NOT confident about this kind of things (like for example, i accidentally went to a gay pride, XD um long story, on the way all i could think is =W= i hope theres NOT cameras or anybody sees me; at the same moment everybody else was like...idk being happy about it)
    wou what a testament o_o XD

2. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    he refer to it as a problem.... what kind of context?

like homosexuality as a problem in society

or people are the problem for the prejudice of homosexuality

i like the word homosexuality.... and the word heterosexuality

homo just has a bad stigma because its so gay
    and gay in general has a bad stigma because it's two same sex couple together

[​IMG]

#2 Jack2009, Oct 23, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  3. ethelred

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think he meant homosexuality was itself a problem in the negative sense. I think he was going for "the anthropological topic of homosexuality," as in, here is an aspect about human culture/society/whatever and how would we go about doing some anthropolol...igiz...ing on it?

That is, the academic problem, like, a problem on a math test to be, uh, not solved exactly, but, uh...studied?

In any case, an unfortunate choice of words. (*hug*)

4. Ralphtruco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    wou XD ethelred i dint understand like anything you said XD
    umm im pretty sure he meanted as in "problem for the society" GOD i just remebered what the STUPIDIEST GIRL IN THE PLANET SAID >_> "if we gave them gay marriage were giving them more liberties than they should have" god >_> that is just like sooooo stupid thing to say
    and idk :S maybe cuz in my language sound more ... discriminatory i just dont like "homosexuales" idk >> maybe because i dont like labels for a person or something like that

5. ethelred

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *sigh* Okay, I mean like this:

Say the class instead said "Adolescence." That is a pretty good anthropological topic to study, right? Every culture has their weird things about adolescence (as in teenagers). Now the sentence "How do we approach the problem of adolescence?" is perfectly neutral. The word 'problem' there means 'thing to be studied in an anthropological context,' 'academic challenge,' 'research subject.' It is like a math problem, an assignment, a topic.

Only when it was paired with homosexuality and presented to someone who is themselves of a different orientation does it seem hurtful and stupid. Again, a poor choice of words given the topic, but not really anything to u_u about. At least I wouldn't.

Now, the girl who said that I can't marry a dude should be slapped upside the head with a stoopid bat. Seriously, wtf?

6. Ralphtruco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    nah he meant it it the problem like PROBLEM sense of the word xDD
    -.- and this friday we had to make a speach about : prostitution, gay marriage and cannabis (if it should be legalized or not, i chose marijuana : D) and geez thank god im dint had to hear that girl -.-
    and wah XD u said that *sigh* like -_- omg this person is so stupid >:

7. ethelred

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry, Ralph, late night posting gets the better of me. (*hug*)

Okay, so he's a jackass. Anthropology has its fair share of jackasses; when my sister was getting her degree in anthropology, one of the readings was the journal of an anthropologist who basically set up shop with some neolithic tribe and spent four years drunk and screwing the native girls.

And they were serious.

There is plenty of desire in some scientific circles to try and explain a natural thing that seems to make NO evolutionary sense. I mean, what advantage can a trait have if it can't possibly be passed on to offspring? It seems to fly in the face of Darwin, and from that perspective it is a problem to be explained. Doesn't make it okay to frame it that way, and I doubt your professor was operating on that level.

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! If you feel offended or just feel that your professor's phrasing of his class lectures is problematic then why not talk to the professor and explain that you feel offended by his choice of words because you are bisexual and you would appreciate it if he would be more careful in his choice of words and how he frames his points during lectures.

If that doesn't do anything, or he simply dismisses it, then you could also bring it up with the head of the Anthropology Department, or you could talk to someone in the human rights office or the office who is responsible for ensuring that diversity on campus is being respected. Usually universities/colleges have policies in place that holds staff members (including professors) accountable to it.

9. Ralphtruco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    ethelred again i dint understand a word :S sorry D: u_u english isnt my native language xD so its not like im stupid or anything xD
    and Mirko u_u as i said in my first post im not exactly the most confident person when it comes to this subject...so standing in front of a class full of stupid homopobic people and say "OBJECTION!!! im bi so blah blah blah" is out of the question XD u_u *sighs* i hate my country -_-

10. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

Way off topic but I find it weird when people kiss with their eyes open.

anyway speak your mind. Your in college. Who's to say there is not another person in that room in your shoes. Speak up and I'm sure you'll get backed up.

11. Ralphtruco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    XDDDDD i hadnt even realized she had her eyes open XD
    wah u_u i know i should do that and o,o im sure about one guy <33 hes very cute also em anyway...idk T_T im too shy about these things u.u

12. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Oh, maybe I wasn't clear, I didn't mean for you to stand in front of the class and reveal your sexual orientation to everyone in your class. Rather, I thought (if you want and feel comfortable with it) that you go and speak with the professor privately during office hours or make an appointment. Is there someone on campus that you can talk to about it. Does your university have a human rights/equality office? What about a LGBT office or organization?

13. Ralphtruco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    ummmm... i HIGHLY doubt it but ill go and check, the probabilities are like...0.1% -_- xDD

14. Ralphtruco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    well...for what i checked there is nothing o.o (if there was a group it would be um...posted in facebook, or something like that)
    as i said -_- i hate my country -________-

15. Zero Beat

:frowning2: That sucks, tho i laughed, some people... "problem" *does dance* Yes I impact on someones life and don't even know it. w00t w00t. My french teacher said about the same thing... *in my school (not collage) my French teacher went on putting down gay people* and i didnt, couldnt say anything. :slight_smile: Just forget about it, or go see him and talk to him. *or in my world, bash him! :grin:*

16. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Try to look it up on your university's website. Usually universities have a built in search engine. Try to type in human rights, or LGBT, or equity/equality, or similar words and see if you get anything.

Also, does your university have a counseling office? Maybe also try them and ask them if they could provide you with information. Usually when you go in there, your privacy is being respected and protected, so you should be pretty safe in asking for that information.

17. Ralphtruco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    yeeey =D i like the bash idea XD
    i re-searched and nothing -.- i doubt theres something like that in this college specially cuz it is called "catholic university andres bello" so -_- im kinda screwed up

18. kramer362

Where do you live?

19. Ralphtruco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    venezuela ._. i dont hate it just cuz almost everybody is a homophobic but ... for stupid chavez >>