1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to come out to your parents when your not even close?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by blankpaper, Oct 25, 2009.

1. blankpaper

Title basically sums it up. My parents know nothing about my social, academic or personal life. NOTHING. How am I supposed to drop the bombshell of "hey? So, it turns out that your not getting any grandkids on this side!!" Meh, I know that they are both okay with homosexuality but I just don't feel close enough to them. Help please(*hug*)

2. guacj

I think that once you tell them you will let yourself become close with them, I dont know how your family dynamic is, but I know my parents will always love me and support me, but I find that I have been distancing myself from my father especially because I am keep thinking the worst case scenario with coming out to them. Like I said I dont know if this is even remote to your situation, but I this is my situation.

I think that this is a hard topic to talk to anyone about, but your parents are the hardest.

3. Greggers

If your not tight, an e-mail or letter works fine. Its easy to get your thoughts down and edit them before you send it or give it to them. If you think they are good with homosexuality its not too big of a deal. You dont need to spend much time trying to convince them your not "sick" that way. Just tell them whatever you feel you want them to know, thats your call.

Its your call how you do it though. You know your situation and your parents better than anyone here. Try and take some time and really think what you feel is the best way to do this. Just know that whatever way you pick, there really is no "wrong" way. Phone, Letter, E-mail, face-to-face, instant messaging, through a sibling, whatever you choose is fine. If there was a "right" way to come out to your parents im sure you would have heard it by now. Its not like there is some secret special way to sure-fire have a good coming out to your parents. Its all up to you.

4. blankpaper

I really like the letter idea of a letter. But honestly I think I would feel so akward after telling them. Like they would look at me diffrent. Which I know is dumb because in this case that is partly a good thing. I don't want to create a bigger gap between us. I have an extremely hard time trusting or opening up to people but this is just annoying me so much!!!!! Did you guys feel this way before you came out too? What about after?

5. EM68

Coming out by letter is a great idea. That is how I came out to my parents. It worked out so well. They were very accepting and it was a huge weight that came off of my shoulders. There is a whole section of coming out letters. If you go with a letter, you can post it and we can give you feedback.

http://emptyclosets.com/home/pages/resources/coming-out-letters.php

6. Greggers

I felt so scared before telling them and after telling them, but honestly a few weeks later life went back to normal minus the closeted part.

7. blankpaper

O sweet!! Will this site ever stop amzing me??
    lol and I just noticed: Hello fellow Massachusett's person!

8. EM68

Hello! Welcome to EC! I live fairly close to Boston. :smilewave