1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In need of advice for schooling.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by NateDawg, Nov 2, 2009.

1. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey guys... First off I would like to thank you all for the support you've given me and helped me with. You have no idea how much my self-confidence has improved since I've been a member here. However, I'm here for some more advise and such. Also, this is kinda ranting too about how I'm feeling and such, sorry.

You see, about 9 months ago I decided I would leave my town and go up to Kansas City, Missouri to pursue a career in acting by attending the college up there in January. I'm still looking at going, but now it's all changed. I have begun dating my high school crush I guess you could say and it couldn't be better. We are very happy with one another and are falling or have fallen for each other. I don't want to leave now. It's not that I'm afraid to lose him or anything, but now that I have someone I do not want to leave.

You see, my dream is to be an actor. I want to be in film, commercials, etc. I promised myself I would be in SOMETHING by the age of 28. That's 8 years away so I have time. Anyhow, I was thinking maybe I would go ahead with my Associates degree in Web Design and Development. That or I could try finding something where I can get the general education courses out of the way for both webdesign/development, and theatre. I'm not sure how I will do it here at home though. I don't want to leave home if I do not HAVE to right now. I'd like to be able and stay here with my boyfriend and grow our relationship. Moving away isn't going to give our relationship any growing and well, that kind of sucks.

Right now I'm enrolled in online classes for web graphic design, but this private colelge costs way too gosh dang much. My FAFSA is only paying for maybe 25%, when it COULD be paying over 90%. I can't get any other grants or scholarships. I can't afford to totally quit college because if I do, I will be paying all that money back for nothing because I got no education doing it.

I kind of wish I could find an online course or something that will allow me to take general education courses for theatre and web design/development.

I guess I could just use some advice on what to do.

2. Just Adam

why not both of you move?

3. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because, He has school here, however, Mine is going to be 4 hours away.

4. Jim1454

Life is full of tough decisions.

At this stage of your life, I would tend to put education before your relationship. You need to get your entire life on solid footings - which to me means getting a good education and starting your chosen career. If that part of your life isn't solid, then all other aspects will be on shakey ground too.

The other thing that I fear is that you're making some long term decisions based on a very short term situation. You haven't been in this relationship very long, and there are no guarantees as to how long you'll stay in that relationship. I don't want to come off as cynical, but that 'first' relationship isn't always the last relationship.

If you really love each other, the distance shouldn't be too big a deal.

5. s5m1

I agree with Jim’s comments. It is much easier to get your education out of the way when you are young, rather than later in life when you may have more responsibilities.

Acting is a tough way to make a living. Many try it; few succeed. Even if you do make it, you will need a way to make a living until you can support yourself with acting jobs. Missouri is also not exactly the hub of the film industry. If you want to improve your chances of working in the industry, you may want to consider New York or Hollywood. However, just remember that there are thousands of other aspiring actors there as well, vying for the few jobs available. Web design is a useful skill that can lead to a job. You may want to think very carefully about whether studying theatre in college is really the best way to create a bright future for yourself.

I am not sure what being “SOMETHING” by the time you are 28 means. Are you trying to be a famous actor? Do you just want to be successful in whatever career you choose? It sounds like you are placing a lot of pressure on yourself by creating a potentially unrealizable goal. There are so many ways to be “SOMETHING” that do not involve being famous (if that is what you meant). Starting your own web design company, doing great work, marketing it well and then growing it certainly is being “SOMETHING,” in my book. Being a good person who cares about and helps others, including your family and boyfriend, is another way to be “SOMETHING.”

While it may not sound like it now, 28 is very young. Even at that age, you have your whole life ahead of you to achieve whatever you are seeking. Perhaps you should rethink setting an arbitrary age, so that you do not set yourself up for disappointment later.

6. Eleanor Rigby

I agree with the comments above.
    I definitly think that getting a proper education, no matter what you choose to study, is the most important thing at that moment of your life.
    I know your relationship is important to you too, but it's not something you have to give up on if you choose to go to college. If you and your boyfriend are meant to be together, you'll find a way to make your relationship survive the distance.
    When I was in my thrid year at university, I had the opportunity to go to study in UK for a year wich had been my goal since I started university. At that time, I was with my boyfriend for 8 months. But no matter how much I loved him, I choosed to go in UK to study. I came back to France twice during that year and he came to visit once with my parents. It had been tought being appart, but we made it. I never regreted the choice I made and it probably would have been the same even if my relationship hadn't survive it, because I learned a lot, and not only on an educational plan, but also about myself and my hability to take care of myself in a foreing country far from my family.
    The decision is yours, but I'm all for the university choice.
    Take care, Eleanor

7. Just Adam

i know its aa lot of work..cant he enrol in a school where you would be going..lots of people move?

i agree you need education to jsut survive in this world but i dont see why it should hold you back

8. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks guys.

@s5m1 - By something I meant moreso of in the film industry. However, Web Design is something as well and is something I love to do as well. I'm currently getting my degree in Web Design first, or was. I have the oppertunity to go to college in the city and live with my cousin. It's only one semester for now, but it's something I've been wanting to do.

Another reason I looked at going is FAFSA will be paying over 75%. Right now I pay 75% alone for private university.